1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield tint heat blocking

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Stitches1974, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Aug 7, 2023 at 7:40 PM
    wsu_runner

wsu_runner Just lurking...

Member:
    There's some urban lore regarding tinted sunroofs. I haven't spent much time researching or debunking but I think there may be legitimate cases where dark tint that lacks heat rejection actually generates superheat of the air between the sunroof and the interior cover.

In my case I'm going with clear tint that has 83%+ heat rejection so it will be no darker and much better at keeping the heat out. I'm not worried.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 8, 2023 at 2:10 AM
    rphillips66

rphillips66 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Charleston SC/ Gastonia NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium
    I spoke to my tint installer and he flat out refused to tint the sunroof. He has been at the game a long time and has had some bad experiences with glass breaking.

kmeeg likes this.
  3. Aug 10, 2023 at 11:09 AM
    2021venture

2021venture New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Elka 2.5, Apache Offroad UCA, durobumps, RCI full skids, RSG sliders, 10 lb Powertank, Maxtrax, Hi lift jack, Westscott Designs modular roof rack and ladder, ARB rear diff breather relocate, ECGS bushing upgrade, c4 low profile bumper, Baja designs S8 lightbar, warn evo winch, factor 55 ultrahook, 80% off-road rear bumper, 4.56 regear
    Tinted the windshield and immediately noticed the heat reduction. Dash is not at hot with heat soak. Also noticed I am turning down the ac from what it used to take. I feel less heat from sun on my body/seat while driving. No negative feedback that I have experienced.

106 today and same forecast for 10 day. Great time of year to test it worst case.

rphillips66 and steelevo like this.
  4. Sep 20, 2023 at 8:27 AM
    TeslasBigCarbonFootprint

TeslasBigCarbonFootprint New Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD ORP Super Ice Cap White
    2014 Neglected by the previous owners 2020 is an abused former rental... 2023 New I've been buying above my pay grade ☹️
    I am now shopping out an external, mirrored or white, window film for the moonroof.

Anybody out there happy or unhappy with a particular product? I have considered the white films that are available for the rear quarter panel, but I have seen a few reviews saying that they don't last very long.

Having lived in the Las Vegas area, I want to block the spectrum of waves before they get into the window. If it is a white film, I want some translucency. I would presume something like that is a dot matrix kind of deal.

Products Discussed in

To Top