1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the best bug shield or deflector for my new 2022 ORP?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by DUSTYDOGDAN, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Jun 25, 2024 at 11:14 AM
    JPG

JPG New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner SR5
    No - yet

To close out - could not get this WeatherTech bug deflector to fit properly and ended up sending it back. Even with the hood bumpers fully extended, the deflector was in contact with the painted grille and top of light housing (pass side). Contact manufacture to see if they had any other tricks to try - no luck. Not much wiggle room on the screw holes either so could not push in/pull out. The gap around my hood/fenders appears to be uniform (~0.026").

On a side note - was looking at AVS deflectors and their instruction sheet is *identical* to the WeatherTech version.

2. Jun 25, 2024 at 11:23 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Removed DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. MinWin End Caps Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Performance: Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same with different logos.

I removed my radiator cover the other day to replace my busted headlight and noticed some missing paint in the exact spot your talking about. Can't see it without popping the hood or removing the AVS bug deflector. So I'm not gonna worry about it.

3. Jun 25, 2024 at 11:26 AM
    T in Texas

T in Texas New Member

Member:
    FEMA Region 6
    Vehicle:
    2024 Terra TRD Pro Terra - finally got it
  4. Jun 27, 2024 at 8:49 AM
    Lord Revan

Lord Revan New Member

Member:
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2024 SR5P Underground
    I also just bought the AVS II high deflector from Real Truck this week. Shipped super fast and got it in 2 days. Installation is very easy, but my hood would not close after installation. I looked around online and it seems a lot of people also have this problem. I tried using thinner washers - still wouldn't close no matter how hard I pushed. Then I removed the washers to see if that would give me the clearance I needed. Still no.

I put some chalk on the screws to see if they were hitting something, and it looks like the screws are coming into contact with the plastic radiator cover. I read through comments on the Yota Xpedition youtube video showing the AVS installation, and others were complaining about the same issue. Yota Xpedition replied to some of those comments saying they're aware of this issue, and recommend drilling holes in the plastic radiator cover to give the clearance needed to close the hood.

I'm pretty bummed. I want the bug deflector, but I also don't want to drill into my brand new truck. I requested a refund/return with Real Truck, and they said to just keep the deflector and destroy it - probably because shipping that giant box back is expensive. So now I'm getting a refund and still have the deflector. I'm considering drilling into the radiator cover now. I can't imagine that would cause any problem, I just don't like the idea of drilling into a truck with 1,500 miles because the deflector isn't made properly.

Anybody have any advice? I think the Weathertech deflector is the same item re-branded, and I don't really want the OEM Toyota one with metal brackets. I tried adjusting the rubber bumpers for the hood, but that didn't change anything - nor can I see how it would, I tried just because...

5. Jun 27, 2024 at 9:43 AM
    laxman09

laxman09 New Member

Member:
    Mahoning Valley, OHIO
    Turn the black rubber bumpers in the engine bay down a little bit. I dont know how the screws could hit something as they are pretty low profile from what I recall when installing mine.

T in Texas likes this.
  6. Jun 27, 2024 at 10:00 AM
    T in Texas

T in Texas New Member

Member:
    FEMA Region 6
    Vehicle:
    2024 Terra TRD Pro Terra - finally got it

mine is gonna be here in time to install this weekend (I hope)
    I'll try @laxman09 tip and see if that works

but good to know realtruck will refund the $$$ if it doesn't fit

7. Jun 27, 2024 at 10:10 AM
    Lord Revan

Lord Revan New Member

Member:
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2024 SR5P Underground
    I tried adjusting the rubber bumpers already, it didn't make a difference. And that's why I used chalk on the screw heads; to see if they were touching anything. They definitely are.

8. Jun 27, 2024 at 12:04 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    The rubber bumpers need to go up, not down, to get more clearance. They provide a lot of travel - at max they will create an unsightly gap in the hood closure, but you shouldn't have to adjust them that far.

Pentangler likes this.
  9. Jun 27, 2024 at 4:30 PM
    Brockton

Brockton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 4x4, 2023 TRD Pro
    I had posted this in this same thread, but the Husky Aeroskin is working out nicely on my Pro and my SR5. It’s a stick on version, though. I didn’t mind, but some folks might.

IMG_6025.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

JChiz likes this.
  10. Jun 27, 2024 at 6:15 PM
    Lord Revan

Lord Revan New Member

Member:
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2024 SR5P Underground
    I've figured out where the clearance issues are. Here's my afternoon...

Since I thought the radiator cover was in the way of the screws, I removed the cover altogether and installed the deflector. The hood still wouldn't close, but that eliminates the cover. I took a piece of paper and moved it along the panel gaps while pressing on the hood to see where the interference was. I found two places on the center section of the deflector that were rubbing (on the edges of the center section). Since I'm getting a refund for the deflector I figured, why not, shave down the deflector in those spots and see if I can get it to latch closed. After 45 minutes of sanding, filing, and scraping, I got the hood to finally latch all the way. But I had to press HARD on the hood...like harder than I felt comfortable doing. Even so, there were still multiple places where the deflector was coming into contact with the grill and even the headlights. I could have kept shaving down the deflector, but in the pictures below you'll see that I was already about to file through the deflector on the edges. I felt that shaving more down would compromise the integrity of the deflector.

To cover all my bases, I decided to try adjusting the rubber bumpers...again. Someone suggested a couple posts ago to RAISE the bumpers to allow for more clearance between the panels. While that makes sense, my hood barely latches closed even in its stock configuration from the factory. I can't drop the hood for the last couple inches or barely press on it to close...I have to give it a decently firm press already. But I tried raising the bumpers anyway. The hood wouldn't latch at all. Then I tried lowering the bumpers (without the deflector now) and the hood latched noticeably easier, but the hood panel was now lower than the other panels on the side.

I now knew my hood latching mechanism was tight, so what if I tried raising the actual gate/latch thing? I removed the bolts mounting the gate thing hoping there was an adjustment range but there really isn't. I could probably dremel the holes to allow for some adjustment range, but that's not something I want to do on this truck just yet.

So there you go, looks like this AVS bug deflector just isn't going to work on my 4Runner without more involved modification that I don't feel like doing for a simple bug deflector. On the positive side, if you're in the greater Nashville area and want a free bug deflector that might work with your rig, let me know.

IMG_8308.jpg IMG_8310.jpg IMG_8307.jpg

IMG_8309.jpg

T in Texas likes this.
  11. Jun 28, 2024 at 4:48 AM
    TimGinCentralNJ

TimGinCentralNJ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    '24 Limited in Classic Silver
    TRD Pro rims w/265/70-17 Toyo OC AT3s
    PXL_20240627_222354171.jpg
    Man, that is so weird. I installed my brand new Bugflector II on my '24 Limited last night and it fits perfectly.

TimG

Products Discussed in

To Top