1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What mpg do you stocks get at 90 mph?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Yotaholic, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Jan 12, 2024 at 12:51 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman New Member

Member:
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I drove 90mph everyday and get 18mpg

icebear and Tank010 like this.
  2. Jan 12, 2024 at 12:55 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    I just thought the sign and the concept were cool.

gomiami likes this.
  3. Jan 12, 2024 at 1:12 PM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Passing laws by state: https://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Left lane is for passing when there are multiple cars, once you have passed the slower vehicle/s move back over.

Always move over for the faster driver. Sometimes it can be an emergency and not just being a dick.

4. Jan 12, 2024 at 1:19 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I agree, but I mentioned it because some of the posts here seem to suggest that adhering to the speed limit makes slow passing “legal” in some manner. Or that it’s justified because no speed limits are being broken. But it’s unsafe. Knowingly and purposefully doing something unsafe (and not necessary) that can endanger others is pretty much illegal in all aspects of society, at least in the spirit of the law.

To be clear, my comment is unrelated to and doesn’t justify dangerous behavior of people who get pissed off at slower drivers. I’m a slow poke. I tend to adjust speed downward to match slower traffic, and usually only pass when the speed differential with other traffic becomes uncomfortable for me. My passes are as quick as possible given the conditions, in order to avoid being next to a vehicle (semi or car) longer than I have to be. It’s always more dangerous to be next to a vehicle at high speeds for a variety of reasons. So it doesn’t make sense to say it’s ok to make a very long pass just because your speed is not excessive.

People forget that even at speed limits, interstates are dangerous environment. The reason they work (or don’t) is due to constant organic adjustment of decisions that everyone makes, real-time, all the time. Adhering to speed limits doesn’t justify poor decision-making, or technique. And rigidly doing these things, while knowing the danger, is actually a form of recklessness.

2Toys and Thatbassguy like this.
  5. Jan 12, 2024 at 1:45 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    The concepts are subjective, to a point. It’s made completely objective however, when you lose control due to speed. That’s when it’s demonstrated that the driver’s judgement was in fact “not good’, and that there was insufficient common sense to inform the driver of the danger of the speed being carried.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  6. Jan 12, 2024 at 1:57 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    It would be difficult to enforce this true! But we can try to make the world a better place. :D People that rigidly rely on law to justify behavior are often sticklers for following rules. I can relate. I just like to point out that they are also breaking rules when they knowingly do something unsafe towards self or others. There’s always rules against that! Therefore, a stickler for rules will have no choice but to comply!!! My logic is flawless!!!!:p

TL/DR: they should be ashamed of themselves lol

7. Jan 12, 2024 at 2:00 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    yeah enough lol. I suspect we may not even be arguing the same point with regard to the montana speed limit sign.

8. Jan 12, 2024 at 3:17 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR

He’s on 34 in tires. If he’s indicating 90, his actual speed is closer to 93-94.
    :computercoffee:

:D

gomiami and Thatbassguy like this.
  9. Jan 12, 2024 at 3:30 PM
    Lc200

Lc200 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Facelift SR5P
    It's hilarious to me when people talk about things like I overtake with only 1 mile over the speed limit or drive on the right and use the left lane to overtake or doing 90 in a 65 zone.
    Let me tell y'all, driving in this country is the most boring thing ever. Majority are in their lane, driving around the limit, using indicators( blinkers) etc etc. Those few rogue drivers are easy to identify and anticipate.
    If you really want to see what hazardous driving is, try driving in any of the developing countries in South Asia. If you not running over other cars or people , you are killing horses, cattle, dogs on the road. And if you manage to evade those, then you have over laden trucks with zero visibility, open potholes, speed breakers on highways, wrongly designed highway entry and exit , no regard for stop signs or red lights, a scooter in the fast lane or a 14 year old doing 150 in a 30 zone.
    Driving here is almost meditative. Set your GPS, set your cruise control and take the middle lane. That's it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    Beachguy, gomiami and Ripper238 like this.
  10. Jan 12, 2024 at 3:55 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    I stated 1 mph more than the vehicle you are overtaking to prove a point and this comment did.
    Aren’t you putting yourself ahead of others by expecting vehicles not maintaining the same over the speed limit pace you are to get out of your way?

honestly, I hate driving the runner on the highway, but I typically run 4 to 8 over, which is a far cry from the 20 plus I used to run in worse vehicles.

oh and I’m glad to know that there are BIG BOY rules for the road, BIG BOY rules, enough said.

11. Jan 12, 2024 at 6:41 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Sort of. But, people who take several minutes to pass are putting themselves ahead of others, as well, if they're holding up traffic.

Ripper238 and Yotaholic[OP] like this.
  12. Jan 13, 2024 at 4:31 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    It’s interesting that folks expect one who doesn’t want to fly, to stay out of their way, but yet they are not willing to slow down to allow others to drive like they want to feel safe. I agree it’s a give and take, but from the conversations here, there is way more take.

and I only consider one holding up traffic when they are going under the speed limit, blocking others from doing the speed limit.

DirtyHairy and gomiami like this.
  13. Jan 13, 2024 at 6:43 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Nobody is saying that you need to go 20 over the limit to pass. But, if the vehicle you're passing is doing 5 over, you should be doing 10 over to pass, not 5.5 over.

If one doesn't feel safe passing at a reasonable speed, why are they passing?

2Toys likes this.
  14. Jan 13, 2024 at 7:33 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    If some one is doing 63 in a 65 and I’m doing 65, I’m going to pass at 65. No one has the right to expect me to go faster than I want to please there need to go.

I spent many years pissed at folks slowing me down, now I reflect on what an asshole I was. No one should expect someone to break the law, just to appease their needs.

DirtyHairy and Fishhead74 like this.
  15. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:08 AM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    Te arrogance on both sides of this coin (as is clear in this thread) is why there's far more road rage today than years ago. People today ARE willing to die on this hill.

Han4Run, DirtyHairy and Spare Parts like this.
  16. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:14 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Zero arrogance here. I just think people should be respectful of other drivers.

I don't tailgate in the right lane, and I don't impede traffic in the left lane. It's pretty simple.

17. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:17 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    You didn't answer my question.

If one doesn't feel safe passing at a reasonable speed, why are they passing?

Why not just slow down and match the speed of traffic?

Edit:

To be clear, I'm not talking about people taking 10 or 20 seconds to pass. I'm talking about the ones who are taking several minutes. I've said multiple times that I will give other vehicles space to pass safely. But, if they're not making any effort to get out of the passing lane, they have no reason to be there.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
  18. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:27 AM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    That makes two of us then.

19. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:32 AM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Look, if a guy/gal wants to do 50(Five Zero) over the limit, he/she must be respected and the left lane given to him/her. I find the left lane camper doing 65 in a 65, more annoying than the Dodge Challenger in the left lane doing 120 in 65 lol

Rob41, gomiami and Lc200 like this.
  20. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:48 AM
    Yotaholic

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    That's a different scenario. But mostly the left lane campers say, "But I am keeping the speed limit". It is not about speed, you dumb dumb, you can't drive in the left lane unless you are passing

Daddykool, gomiami, Rob41 and 2 others like this.
  21. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:55 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    This can also apply to times when traffic is heavy. Driving through the Milwaukee area, sometimes every lane is packed, but still moving pretty well. All you can do is pick a lane and go with the flow. Some people will try to weave through, but they are usually creating an unsafe situation. And, those who come up in the left lane tailgating, when it's clearly congested, are assholes.

Spare Parts and gomiami like this.
  22. Jan 13, 2024 at 9:00 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Agreed. Let them through and let the law deal with them.

5thToy and Yotaholic[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  23. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:15 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    reasonable speed is subjective as this thread is proving. I’m not trying to be an asshole here, But I think it is unfair for someone to expect another driver to increase their speed so they can get by. Clearly, when they can get back over they should.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    2Toys, Daddykool, gomiami and 2 others like this.
  24. Jan 13, 2024 at 9:11 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I agree that it's subjective.

We're probably splitting hairs here.

I definitely don't think you're an asshole. Me, on the other hand...:anonymous:

gomiami and Spare Parts[QUOTED] like this.
  25. Jan 14, 2024 at 4:14 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Naw, you have debated back and forth respectfully, time to put away the hair splitters.

2Toys and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Jan 14, 2024 at 4:45 AM
    Beachguy

Beachguy Normal turned up too loud

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRP ORP
    There’s the key word to all of this: Respectfully. If I treat other drivers respectfully, and they treat me respectfully, everybody gets where they’re going safely and with a happy heart. A tall order indeed, but one worth acknowledging.

Thatbassguy and Spare Parts like this.
  27. Jan 14, 2024 at 8:52 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    You, as well. We've both been around here long enough not to hold grudges over a simple disagreement. One of the things I appreciate about this forum is that people can generally disagree without taking things personally, or insulting each other.

:cheers:

This is so true! I try to be more patient with other drivers than I was when I was younger. It helps when you stop thinking about them as just another car, but rather another person just trying to get home, or to work, etc.

I try to remember that when I'm arguing with people on these forums, as well. I'm certainly not perfect, but getting better.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  28. Jan 14, 2024 at 8:57 AM
    4R777

4R777 New Member

Member:
    After my last speeding ticket that was a few bucks shy of $500, I said no more speeding for me. I keep it around the speed limit now. It's been 10+ years no tix.

Fastest I've driven my 4Runner on the road is about 85. Overland, about 60 through the desert.

semprenissart and Thatbassguy like this.
  29. Jan 14, 2024 at 9:57 PM
    Yotaholic

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    18.7 mpg :cool::yes:

20240114_212019.jpg 20240114_211945.jpg 20240114_211955.jpg 20240114_212404.jpg 20240114_212136.jpg 20240114_212205.jpg

icebear likes this.
  30. Jan 24, 2024 at 11:56 AM
    Yotaholic

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    It rides fine

Thatbassguy and Saker like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top