1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Under hood lighting

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Imnrgman, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Apr 17, 2024 at 6:50 PM
    AZRunner44

AZRunner44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Off-Road Premium
    TBD. White Knuckle Off-road sliders.
    I used a door pin switch on the ground so the lights come on when I open the hood, and 3M tape to hold wire loom in place and LED strips for the lights. 3M holds up good even in the AZ heat.

IMG_7014.png

2. Apr 17, 2024 at 8:21 PM
    UncleShorty

UncleShorty New Member

Member:
    Normal good practice is to fuse the positive wire but All of those cheap chinese plunger switches switch the negative. That's bad in a vehicle, and unsafe. Think about it.

If there is no fuse between the battery and the positive side of the LED strip what will interrupt the fault current if the led positive gets shorted to negative? You better have comprehensive coverage and a low deductable because your truck is on fire.

The safe way to do this install is to put a fuse between the battery terminal and the LED positive. Put the fuse as close to the battery as possible. Don't worry about the negative leg fuse, it's non-functional. I'd find a way to remove it as it is just adds another failure point.

So, if you are going to switch the negative remember to fuse the positive leg. And also remember the positive side is hot 100% of the time, so if you are working on the light or anything else and accidentally short the positive to ground you'll see some sparks, blow the fuse and have to change your drawers as the result of the surprise...

Saker likes this.
To Top