1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Uncomfortable Seats

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Big_jarv, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Jan 5, 2024 at 7:35 PM
    bronzestar1

bronzestar1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Limited magnetic gray with redwood interior
    275/55-20s, Airaid CAI, Summit muffler, oil catch can
    My daughter got a '23 TRD ORP several months ago, and I've ridden in it a few times, mainly just around town so no long road trips. The passenger front seat seems fine, but for short trips I would expect that. One of the reasons I got my '23 Limited was because of the seats. They look like they have more bolstering, have the adjustable lumbar support, and just look more comfortable. I do a 140-mile drive each way about every other weekend, and the Limited seats don't seem to bother me. They're not as comfortable as the massaging front seats I had on my '22 Explorer ST that I traded in, but they'll do. Sounds like the easiest thing would be to swap to Limited seats?

20231224_interior front.jpg

2. Jan 5, 2024 at 7:49 PM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....
    I had a Tacoma (2021 TRD Offroad) and I had to put in seat jackers in it to deal with the seat issue. I haven't had to do that with the 4Runner. I'm very tall (6' 3"). In the Taco my legs/thighs would still kind of hurt on long distance drives.

Here are two distinct differences I have noticed:

1) The Tacoma & 4Runner have roughly the same amount of ground clearance. However....
    2) The step-in seemed harder for the Tacoma. I also noticed the seating position is a lot like a Corvette. My legs stuck straight out and my butt was closer to the floor.
    3) The step-in seems easier for the 4Runner. The seating position is like my office chair at work. I'm very upright. Feet are flat on the ground and the seat bottom isn't near the ground. Even though I'm sitting very upright, I still have a lot of headroom. I had a sunroof in the Taco and in my 4Runner.

Overall, I've found the 4Runner seats MUCH better than my Tacoma, and I haven't had to mod them at all. I daily drive my 4Runner and it takes me 45-55 mins to get to work, so I spend a lot of time in my truck on a daily basis.

3. Jan 6, 2024 at 7:14 AM
    jgalt

jgalt New Member

Member:
    From experience, yes the GX seats are in a different league in terms of comfort. And they are not ultra soft, so it must be the shape that makes the difference. Maybe the added adjustability too, but I think shape is the most fundamental factor. A miata seat for example is also certainly not plush, but shaped such that it's more comfortable than the 4R's seat.

For the jackers, they are spacers in a generic sense. And they change the geometry. And loads/stresses will be affected as a result. Whether it's enough to matter is another question. One question/concern I would have w/ these is the non-parallel fit one would get at the rear mounting points when using a spacer at the front to tilt the seat cushion.

4. Jan 6, 2024 at 7:52 AM
    bassist

bassist New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad Premium
    I rode 250 miles on a group ride once - really long day of twisties.

Made upgrading the seat on my Sportster a no-brainer. I was in agony by the end.

McSpazatron[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 6, 2024 at 7:58 AM
    bassist

bassist New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad Premium
    I wonder if those beaded thing cabbies used to drive on would help.

Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jan 6, 2024 at 8:09 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I've thought about those. I suppose I could just Google comfortable seat covers. I always prefer to get opinions here, when possible.

bassist[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 6, 2024 at 8:58 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I can end your search right now with one suggestion. Real sheepskin covers.

Everyone will make fun of you for it…but you’ll be laughing all the way past the wayside rest area, while seated in rich, luxuriant comfort, unmatched by the greatest corinthian leather craftsmen.

And when somebody points and laughs, tell them you took them out of your F-16 fighter jet.

IMG_2804.jpg

Yes! I’m being serious! They are pretty expensive, but every once in a while Costco or sams club will sell pretty big pelts for not much money relatively speaking. If you can find a short-haired version, it might be perfect to cut down and stitch yourself a cover. They don’t have to form fit, just overlay, then you can throw them in the back when you don’t want to look at them.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  8. Jan 6, 2024 at 9:02 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    250 miles is a long ride. Having nice twisties can help dull the pain though lol.

I haven’t ridden a sportster, but seeing how tiny those seats are suggests they suck even more than a dirt bike seat!

9. Jan 6, 2024 at 6:53 PM
    bassist

bassist New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad Premium
    Mine was back when the engine was solidly mounted to the frame, so at least you got a cheap motel co-operated bed style massage. :D

10. Jan 7, 2024 at 3:16 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    They work to an extent. I had one in a over the road semi once. There's kind of a massage thing going on with the beads. They are held together with string, it's like a heavy fishing line. When some of the strings broke, I got rid of it. I'm sure you guys know this already.. but don't sit on your wallet when you drive either! An uncomfortable seat made even worse with sciatic nerve pain, it's just lovely.

11. Jan 7, 2024 at 3:43 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    The Tacoma seats are worse! Too close to the floor for my likes. We drove to Georgia, only to stop for gas and dinner, and when we got there it took a bunch of stretching to get "mobile" again. We don't have this problem in the 4Runner, is there room for improvement?... probably.. are they adequate? Yes.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  12. Jan 7, 2024 at 9:00 AM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    I've found out over the years of owning Toyotas, that the seat and back support has been ok overall.
    But with the technology to improve accident survivability, the headrest with its forward canting, is the down fall of my comfort level.
    My old '93 Tacoma and '98 4R were really the last of the comfortable seats.
    Our previous '10 Rav, '14 Tacoma D/C and current '16 4R, have the forward canting headrest.
    I don't drive with the seat back strait up nor do I have it leaned too far back but, that headrest is my biggest concern for my comfort.
    Some of the best seats, IMO, were the low tech, low back seats found in older Jeeps, Early Broncos, K5 Blazers and oddly enough, Cat and JD heavy equipment.
    And I've been in Cats and JDs for hours and hours at a time.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  13. Jan 8, 2024 at 6:48 AM
    jgalt

jgalt New Member

Member:
    This place has been around for a long time. Maybe a fix can be found here?

https://www.sickafus.com/shearling/sheepskins-seatcovers.html

McSpazatron[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 8, 2024 at 7:51 AM
    Catchacold

Catchacold It’s just allergies

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 T4R ORP w/KDSS, 2011 Highlander 2wd, 2004 SR5 2wd (sold), 2002 SR5 2wd (totaled)
    Thanks. My orp has all the same settings just the soft Tex is the only difference is the leather. I’ve had leather in my last car and thought it may be better

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  15. Jan 8, 2024 at 7:59 AM
    SlvrRnnR

SlvrRnnR New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 4R TRD ORP
    Stock Size KO2's - TRD CAI - TRD Exhaust, KC HiLites Hidden 20" Lightbar, Ditch Lights, Back Up Led Pods, ARB Dif Breather, ScanGauge III, OEM Rock Rails

Parallel thread:
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/driver-seat-discomfort.26024/#post-534091

I found much comfort in the sheep skin (strip), had full covers in my CJ when I was a kid. Wet Okoles on my FJ prior to 4R. Current is by far the most comfortable for me.

And if status bothers someone plenty of the cool kids in Australia use them.

Jet cockpit in progress... plug and play ejection seat switch though is hard to find.

Catchacold likes this.
  16. Jan 8, 2024 at 8:48 AM
    Catchacold

Catchacold It’s just allergies

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 T4R ORP w/KDSS, 2011 Highlander 2wd, 2004 SR5 2wd (sold), 2002 SR5 2wd (totaled)
    Thanks, anyone have experience with them? Their website doesn’t convey confidence to say the least. I’ve looked at a few other USA made sheep skin covers and will probably go with one that has a better website

Products Discussed in

To Top