1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To 24' or 25', that is the question

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by walkingtowardsa4runner, Jul 6, 2024.

1. Jul 25, 2024 at 2:01 PM
    Wren

Wren New Member

Member:
    Makes sense - thanks!

2. Aug 4, 2024 at 3:56 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    If you are considering a limited and do zero off-road then I have to agree that the T4R is not really the best fit. Highlander, Pilot, or ny over unibody midsize is a lot more livable as a highway commuter.

if you are set on the 4R anyway I’d get a 24 while you still can. I m far from afraid of new tech but have to admit that Toyota is having so many issues with all the new BOF vehicles I won’t trust them until they have been proven a few years…

3. Aug 4, 2024 at 4:35 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    4runner Limited is the best solution among these 3. 2016 and newer pilot is proven unreliable. The new 2.4T on highlander will newer be reliable as the old 3.5V6 and no where near the 4L V6 reliability. If you want to get closer to n/a engine reliability in 2.4T highlander you are looking at frequent maintenance and more drivering style care. For pilot maybe VCM disable mechanisms? Still no option for carbon build up on injectors.

For here in CO 4runner Limited is absolutely the best option in winter. Honda pilot ground clearance is pathetic and highlander awd system is not the best. In fact Limited is better than other 4runner trims in winter.

Daddykool likes this.
  4. Aug 4, 2024 at 4:59 AM
    Wren

Wren New Member

Member:
    Highlander hybrid is a good choice. Awd works great in winter, in my experience, and they are highly reliable. Love my 4Runner, but our Highlander drives better anywhere paved, even when snow covered. Also has averaged 40mpg in mixed driving!

engineer90 and Schlappesepple like this.
  5. Aug 4, 2024 at 7:22 AM
    engineer90

engineer90 New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road Premium, 2016 2-door GTI S manual
    Honestly OP, get a Highlander or Grand Highlander. These are way more comfortable than a 4Runner and will suit you the best and you will get decent towing and both can do easy flat dirt roads of SoCal. Hybrid available in both. Plus, good luck finding a 25/26/27 years 6th gen 4R for MSRP, won't happen for a while...

6. Aug 4, 2024 at 7:55 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    OP, based on your original post, I agree with kmeeg. If you have your heart set on a 4Runner, then a Highlander, as good as it is, will probably leave you with 'what-if' regrets. And the new 2025 4Runner isn't yet proven, though it may be fine. So a Limited will get you all the reliability you need, full-time 4WD, and most of all, a 4Runner.

7. Aug 4, 2024 at 8:35 AM
    Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad Premium
    I would go with a 24 since reliability is more important to me than new tech, gimmicks and slightly better mpgs. I would also get the limited if you are staying on road. There’s no point in a Pro if you aren’t going to go off road.

Products Discussed in

To Top