1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The possibilities of the 4runner post LC250 USA release?

Discussion in '6th Gen 4Runners (2025+)' started by Trekker, Aug 6, 2023.

1. Aug 14, 2023 at 9:44 AM
    GFORCE

GFORCE New Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Taco DCSB 4WD 6MT
    A bit of a euphemism there. I didn't elaborate enough to explain why I agreed with them and that bothered me a little, so I'll explain now. They're close, but not 1:1.

The current Tacoma is moderately related to the current 4Runner via the 150 "platform" connection they have and some other components, but definitely not interchangeable like the Hilux and Hilux Surf pre-1996. Or today's Ranger and Everest.

I don't really want to comment on why I'm confident about certain things on the 6th gen and Fortuner, just going to be quiet about why and stay in the background...

They're still different, but now use TNGA-F. Ditto for Hilux and Taco. New Fortuner looks very similar to current model, but totally all new. 4Runner just about, but seems more like the 2003 4Runner vs 2005 Tacoma all over again in terms of shared styling with the 2024, but not an exact deadringer.

...I didn't call them the same vehicle. Again, you need to reread my posts. I'm being taken out of context again and honestly...

Same underlying basis, which roots to the 150 LC, is not being called the same vehicle inside out.

The lack of the same V6 engine and shared cosmetic components, does not prove they are a different underlying basis. I've made my point and provided some evidence, since a lot of (dead)links can't be shared anymore.

Anyone who wants to think otherwise, oh well. I given my perspective and some evidence already.

All the midsize body on frame Toyota Motor products with any emphasis on comfort, are related to each other. The rugged IMV is below them and above them? Well, Tundra and Sequoia, then flagship Land Cruiser and Lexus LX.

Now they all move to mod. TNGA-F, utilizing different applications. Other than co-signing one comment with little explanation as to why I did, nothing I've said is inaccurate.

2016Pro likes this.
  2. Aug 14, 2023 at 9:54 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    They are completely different platforms, regardless of chassis codes. They share a handful of drivetrain and suspension components and nothing else.

I have never claimed that anyone said they were the same vehicle. Somebody claimed that a 4Runner was a hard top Tacoma, which simply is not true.

Also, everybody knows that the 6th gen 4Runner and 4th gen Tacoma will be based on the same platform. That's not what the conversation was about.

HotelMedicis likes this.
  3. Aug 14, 2023 at 9:55 AM
    HotelMedicis

HotelMedicis No Commercial Interests

Member:
    To be clear, and as you say, we're not talking about the 1984 1/2 4Runner which was basically a Toyota Pickup (long before the Tacoma name was invented) with a fiberglass top in the back and a roll bar. We're talking about the 5th gen 4Runner of today that has shared the same platform/frame as the Land Cruiser Prado since the 4th generation 4Runner which was basically a J120 series Land Cruiser. When the J120 became the J150, the 4Runner continued using the same J150 frame / platform. That's what Toyota says.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Aug 14, 2023 at 9:57 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Correct.

HotelMedicis[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Aug 14, 2023 at 10:25 AM
    Curlystooge

Curlystooge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 limited in magnetic grey
    Funny enough, countless users are listed "New Members" because of the forum software, regardless of how many posts they made.

I believe you may change your “new member” listing any time you like.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  6. Aug 14, 2023 at 10:47 AM
    GFORCE

GFORCE New Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Taco DCSB 4WD 6MT
    That's not correct. The Tacoma uses modified version of the Prado architectures in 120 & 150. Chassis code is irrelevant also, when the 1995 Pickup and 4Runner, didn't share one either.

Yes, you did do that in several of your posts and intently took me out of context many times, claiming I was calling them the same exact vehicle. I never stated such a thing.

In terms of "hardtop Tacoma", my agreement was alluding to it being considered a parallel Tacoma SUV offering internally (past & present), despite some further degrees of separation existing between the two since 2015 and in assembly location since inception in 1995.

It's definitely not as simple as it being a "hardtop Tacoma" against the outgoing 3rd gen, but that wasn't the main focus was it?

The main focus is, they DO share a common architecture, with the 120-150 Series Prado, FJ Cruiser, and Lexus GX 460. Have you proven that they don't at all? No, you haven't and are basing any refutations on your own guesses from other unrelated components, without any sources supporting it.

The Tacoma adopted the virtually identical 120 and 150 Series architectures, each time modifying the existing basis into a C-Channel derivative like the Tundra. The Tacoma isn't on its own, it's part of the greater 120-150 extended family.

The difference is, when the N280 4Runner appeared in 2009, the Tacoma didn't follow with a major model change. It just got another facelift in late 2011, plus some of those updates underneath.

When the Tacoma was finally updated significantly 8 years ago, the 4Runner was in limbo, but remained when reconsidered internally.

For the last 2 decades, the Tacoma has been a derivative of the underlying basis for the Prado. Taco might've dropped the 1GR in favor of 2GR, but that doesn't matter.

A different supply chain and entirely different factories, are somewhat why there are differences in the Tacoma and 4Runner. Things have to be, as what will work for Tahara, just might not be easy to implement at NUMMI, TMMTX, or in Baja's TMMBC. Goal is to fix that at TMMGT via TNGA-F.

The N210 and N280 4Runners are related to the 2nd & 3rd gen Tacoma, via their shared common architecture, end of story.

2016Pro likes this.
  7. Aug 14, 2023 at 11:20 AM
    GFORCE

GFORCE New Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Taco DCSB 4WD 6MT
    I'm not going to elaborate too much, but I stated what you replied to for a reason in terms of TNGA-F 4Runner vs Fortuner. They're pretty evolutionary. "Nobody even knows" doesn't refer to everyone in existence.

There is no manual. Why? I don't know why. Seems to be the case for 2025, which is why I own a Tacoma and not a 4Runner.

Any V8 mentions are just aimless whining and on another level of extreme.

My biggest issue are mentions of Bronco and Wrangler as core targets, which is totally made up and I know where it originated from. It's fake info, that sounds good, but not true at all.

New 4Runner doesn't compete with them much differently than it does now. It's not "retro" like the Bronco nor topless. Nothing like Gen 1 either. Evolutionary, not revolutionary.

The average person won't be able to tell it's redesigned, but astute buyers/observers will.

It's really what's underneath that saw major changes, while the outside follows the same theme as the 5th gen, sharing no body panels of course nor internal components.

The goal was to keep it as close as possible to the current model. Ditto for the other TNGA-F models. I think only the Tundra, Sequoia, GX and LC 250 were the only designs on F deliberately differentiated from the previous gens and revolutionary.

Logic is, a lot of customers will be put off by the many changes underneath, so it's best to keep them in the fold by keeping it familiar enough and spend less time developing new design themes.

Struggling products additionally needed a total rethink by comparison.

2016Pro likes this.
  8. Aug 14, 2023 at 11:41 AM
    HotelMedicis

Member:
    I put reporter on there. You can also put Moderator or Staff or Waiter.

broken-giver and Thatbassguy like this.
  9. Aug 14, 2023 at 11:46 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

You said they were the same underneath, which isn't true. Different frame, different suspension, different axles, different engine, different transmission options , different drivetrain altogether since '15.

Lately there have been some pretty ridiculous discussions on this forum, and this one is right up there. Calling the 4Runner a hard top Tacoma is like calling a Camaro a 4 door Corvette. The Tacoma and 4runner are more different than they are the same, and that's been true for a long time. Nothing you say will change that.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  10. Aug 14, 2023 at 11:52 AM
    Doglover2003

Doglover2003 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '18 ORP w/KDSS
    Don't forget center locking diff on all trim models

Thatbassguy likes this.
  11. Aug 14, 2023 at 12:08 PM
    HotelMedicis

Member:
    You've got a nice pet troll now. Keep feeding it and it will keep coming back.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 18, 2023 at 8:10 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    I assumed it was the mods that did it, I changed mine :cool:
    Thanks!

To Top