1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swaybar Disconnect for non KDSS

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Yotaholic, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Apr 3, 2024 at 5:00 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
  2. Apr 3, 2024 at 9:56 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Also interested, but yeah, I’d rather see how they hold up after a lot of use and after a couple of winters. This looks like some thought went into these (reflected in the price!), but previous attempts at disconnects seemed to be prone to breakage, which would let the end of the sway bar fall onto the CV boot and tear everything up.

Basically, I’d like to see someone break these in use to get an idea of what the collateral damage would be. :p

Yotaholic[OP] and Rob41[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Apr 4, 2024 at 5:50 AM
    Harringbr99

Harringbr99 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red Limited
    BudBuilt Skids/Sliders/Hidden Winch, Cornfed 2/1 XREAS lift, Custom Fab Rear Bumper
    I've been watching these for about a month now. And I did see the first install videos that included some welding, and how they waited to launch the product, likely in order to simplify install and to address the slight frame differences between the FJ Cruiser and the T4R. I'm very excited to see something like this come to market finally, even if I don't take the plunge, yet.

Yotaholic[OP] and McSpazatron like this.
  4. Apr 4, 2024 at 8:37 PM
    DangitDad

DangitDad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2023 White 4Runner
    3"/2" Ironman lift, Method 703 wheels, K02's, Pedal Commander, more to come
    Ordered yesterday, got the shipment notification today, says it should arrive on Monday.

5. Apr 8, 2024 at 9:49 PM
    DangitDad

DangitDad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2023 White 4Runner
    It has arrived. 5 day turnaround. Nothing I saw in the video seems scary, just meticulous and time consuming. I will not be able to get to this very soon. Hopefully on the 20th but maybe not until the 4th. I could spread the work out over evenings but I don't really like stopping and starting. Might be a good reason to take a work day off...hmmm..

I need to make a phone call to them too, to discuss the existing 3" lift. The lift came with a sway bar relocation kit but I never put it on, just left the sway bar off. I assume I will need to use the relocation brackets from that kit, but I'd like confirmation before I do this on a Saturday, when they're not available. Next step is to confirm the UCA ball joint is compatible. Ran across a beta tester video talking about that.

The printed installation instructions in the box are incomplete. Reference to the YT video is necessary during the install. Not my favorite but I suppose it's the way of things now. They make it very clear they expect a professional level install. There isn't anything overly technical to do, but the drilling needs to be spot on, especially the pin on the arm into the bar. Having experience allows for more precision in that but also to identify when something might not be going right. I suspect some of the warnings comes from needing to appease the Toyota engineers...maybe...we'll see.

The only tool I don't have...a bike shock pump. Not sure I know anyone who has one.

First thing you see after opening the box, which is also on the product page:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Apr 8, 2024 at 10:03 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack

Awesome. I can't wait till you get them installed and try them out!

Yotaholic[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 9, 2024 at 10:47 AM
    Grandpawmoses

Grandpawmoses Dirty Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R TRD Pro
    Too poor to buy anything now
    That's too purdy to put in the dirt. Congrats.

8. Apr 16, 2024 at 7:53 AM
    DangitDad

DangitDad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2023 White 4Runner
    Welp...I'm considering returning it, unused and uninstalled.

Went on a mountain drive this weekend and did not miss the sway bar. It certainly didn't corner great, but I'm not sure it was bad enough to justify the $750 + the install.

Back on the fence, I suppose.

9. Apr 16, 2024 at 8:15 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    That's interesting. When I go long travel I was considering ditching the front sway bar. Maybe go stiffer rear sway bar similar to Tinkerer's Adventure's FJ...

I drive pretty aggressively so I'm really on the fence about it as well.

10. Apr 16, 2024 at 8:20 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    Are you on stock spring rate? Do a slalom maneuver at say 25 mph and see how it feels. Usually the second swerve is when the body roll can get severe. Search YouTube for the Hilux moose test video for an idea of the setup.

I'm on 700lb springs on my Tacoma.

Trident904 and Yotaholic[OP] like this.
  11. Apr 16, 2024 at 8:32 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Tinkerer's Adventures testing found that the best articulation was with front sway disconnected and rear bar connected. Apparently the rear bar forces the front to articulate more.

Another channel, DBC, tested different rear sway bar link lengths on their lifted 5th gen and found that extended made no difference compared to stock on an RTI ramp.

McSpazatron and Yotaholic[OP] like this.
  12. Apr 16, 2024 at 8:33 AM
    Yotaholic

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Keep the thing man. Put it on

Ripper238 likes this.
  13. Apr 16, 2024 at 9:33 AM
    Photon_Chaser

Photon_Chaser 44232 and counting…

Member:
    Central Coast
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Pro
    I’ve been contemplating the Apex design, until I saw the little blurb about the factory electronic disconnect system…looking forward to some trail reports on this and hopefully this may be another option for retrofitting onto a gen 5.

Toyota Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect

IMG_0441.jpg

14. Apr 16, 2024 at 10:52 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I have KDSS. With KDSS, we have similar front articulation to a sway bar delete already, but reduced rear articulation compared to non-KDSS models.

If the sway bars are independent of each other, I could delete the rear, and have the same articulation as no sway bars at low speed, but still keep the front sway bar for road driving.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    Yotaholic[OP] and 1SilverRunner like this.
  15. Apr 16, 2024 at 12:24 PM
    semprenissart

semprenissart Mèfi

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Pro (MGM)
    Westcott Sliders. Gobi no rise
    I highly doubt that there would be an easy retrofit from 6th gen to 5th gen for this

16. Apr 16, 2024 at 7:03 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Agree, it’s a totally different sway bar setup to begin with. It runs behind the rear engine-cradle crossmember.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    Trail Runnah and Yotaholic[OP] like this.
  17. Apr 16, 2024 at 8:19 PM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Offroad Premium on 35’s
    King 2.5 with resis, C4 Hybrid Front, TC Uppers, Victory Rack, Smitty 12k winch, 17x9 -38 SCS F5’s with 295/70 Ridge Graps
    Just lose the sway bar and save your money. With beefier coil springs and good suspension, you barely notice the sway bar is gone. You won’t roll the vehicle as long as you aren’t driving like an asshole.

I’ve never kept the swaybars on any of my yotas and never had an issue.

18. Apr 16, 2024 at 8:34 PM
    Yotaholic

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Your 22 has no swaybars? Any pics of the flex?

Trident904[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Apr 17, 2024 at 5:26 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    King 2.5 with resis, C4 Hybrid Front, TC Uppers, Victory Rack, Smitty 12k winch, 17x9 -38 SCS F5’s with 295/70 Ridge Graps
    No sway bars at all. I removed the front and rear when I got it home from the dealership and tossed them. I have a pic from the rear of but nothing from the front really. However, the rig tends to be less tippy without the swaybars when articulating in off camber situations. I spent a lot of time trying different configurations when I had the white 4R and contrary to what Tinkerer says in his video, I prefer no swaybars. Keeping the rear sway bar just kept causing me to lift a wheel in some situations. I’d rather keep 4 on the ground as much as possible.
    IMG_7017.jpg
    Here you can see the front right tire stuffed to full bump and the right rear droop (not full). With sway bars, there would be induced roll due to restricted wheel travel, but without the front and rear sway bars, the articulation allows the rig to stay relatively level.
    IMG_4711.jpg
    Here’s is video of my 17 4R with no sway bars doing Hells Revenge. You can see the front articulating pretty well and not lifting a tire where most everyone else does.
    https://youtu.be/fFYdYVT2W_0?si=BPGWDAS_DlcbdY7Z

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  20. Apr 17, 2024 at 11:43 AM
    DangitDad

DangitDad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2023 White 4Runner
    I was never convinced his testing on that was very accurate. He drove the opposing wheels up ramps, which doesn't really bring any roll into the equation. It just didn't look quite right.

I think I'm convinced to return the disconnects. It's not necessarily the cost but the effort to put them in. I have the stiffer front and rear Ironman springs and the performance on the mountain roads the other day was not a problem.

Yotaholic[OP] and Harringbr99 like this.
  21. Apr 17, 2024 at 11:57 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the RTI ramps don’t do much for replicating real world stuff. While Tinkerer makes good points, I’m with you on it.

There so many people on the forums and Fb groups that will shit all over the second you mention removing the sway bar, but I’m here to tell you it’s fine. I’ve been running without sway bars for well over a decade and have never had any issues.

Shredder, Valtor and Yotaholic[OP] like this.
  22. Apr 17, 2024 at 12:12 PM
    Harringbr99

Harringbr99 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red Limited
    BudBuilt Skids/Sliders/Hidden Winch, Cornfed 2/1 XREAS lift, Custom Fab Rear Bumper
    Well, Dang it. (literally) I understand your reasoning for returning the product, but I was hoping to have someone to watch and find out if the disconnect worked. :popcorn:
    Keep us posted if you find you like the ride without the swaybar(s).

Yotaholic[OP] and 1SilverRunner like this.
  23. Apr 17, 2024 at 12:40 PM
    DangitDad

DangitDad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2023 White 4Runner
    Dangit it is right! I've been running without the sway bar since I put the lift in, about 2 months now...? I really cannot tell it's gone. I didn't drive it a lot with it on, but I know what roll feels like and there is none. The only odd time I did feel it was when I made a left turn and the road grade sloped down to the right. It was just an odd intersection and I bet any car would feel more roll than normal.

Consider this though...I do not run windy mountain roads fast anymore. Too many "oh shit" moments in my past. You young'uns might have a different experience.

24. Apr 18, 2024 at 6:29 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    You know what, that's good points about Kai's testing. Real world IS more applicable than driveway ramp testing.

I've also had the same thought about most aftermarket lift springs being stiffer, and probably compensating for a lack of a front bar. I used to have a Grand Cherokee ZJ, and I ran that without front or rear bars with a 3-in lift. Not going to lie, it had a ton of body roll, but it rode nice and had a crazy amount of flex.

25. Apr 18, 2024 at 5:21 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    We know the Apex disconnect works, because it's a refinement of the "sliding link" concept that's been used for years. Video of a Hilux flexing in a cemetery 10 years ago:

26. Apr 20, 2024 at 7:36 AM
    like2lean

like2lean New Member

Member:
    True, but don't forget Kai is a true blue wheeler in every sense who applies his theory's offroad in a variety of vehicles. His driveway tests are just to illustrate his findings in a controlled environment like any good experiment would.

Yotaholic[OP], nova, Rob41 and 2 others like this.
  27. Apr 20, 2024 at 11:38 AM
    Ksny15

Ksny15 New Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Off-Road
    Shit I have been waiting for something like this! Thank you! That price is tough though but I need them lol

28. Apr 20, 2024 at 11:43 AM
    Ksny15

Ksny15 New Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Off-Road
    What is your honest opinion of its manners on the road? Do you DD the 4R?

29. Apr 20, 2024 at 1:59 PM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    Daily driving for me is far different than most folks. My vehicles spend a lot of time sitting in my garage or in my company’s hangar at the airport.

I rotate between my F150 and the 4R. It handles fine on the highway and in town when I take it places and I prefer driving it around town over the F150 simply because it fits in parking lots.

I’m not on stock suspension or stock rate coils, so my handling is far better than stock rate stuff without swaybars. In fact, there isn’t a single stock suspension component left on my 4R. Shocks, struts, UCA’s, LCA’s, rear links and panhard were all replaced with better stuff.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    Valtor and Yotaholic[OP] like this.
  30. Apr 20, 2024 at 11:10 PM
    Yotaholic

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Just be our guinea pig, we will arrange a GoFundMe for you. You got my $10 ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top