1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scratches Good or Bad

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Red Jed, Sep 25, 2023.

1. Oct 4, 2023 at 2:07 PM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    Macht nichts zu mir! I'll be dead when the 4Runner leaves our family (Nieces and nephews are already claiming "dibs"!).

You Mall Rats can always get a scratch or scrape from some 6 yr. old with a shopping cart. Honest "pinstriping" is certainly more "honorable". Wanna die run over by a grandma in the parking lot or while in glorious combat against man or beast?:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

McSpazatron and Stoney Ranger like this.
  2. Oct 4, 2023 at 5:01 PM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
    My vote: Scratches are bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did manage to buff them out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Oct 4, 2023 at 5:27 PM
    TacoGeeloor

TacoGeeloor New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock TRD Off Road Premium
    Lots of work

Stoney Ranger[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 4, 2023 at 6:21 PM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    (Off) Road Warrior!!

5. Oct 4, 2023 at 6:38 PM
    HazOpRed

HazOpRed 22' TRDOR

Member:
    Oh come on, you know it's a utility vehicle. Wear it proud!

Stoney Ranger and BearBio like this.
  6. Oct 4, 2023 at 6:55 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s

Agree, because a logical argument only makes sense (to engage in) where there is agreement on the terms. So how about defining our terms?

How fair is this summary of how I think these terms are being used here?

Referring to cars:

Damage: unintended, accidental occurrences that result in breakage, loss of function, and/or value.

Wear and tear: damage resulting from, or incidental to, the intended use of the vehicle. May result in loss of function and value.

Maintainance: the act of continual repair of worn components necessary to the full function of the vehicle systems, fluids, structure, paint/body, etc. Can be considered preventative if performed before a particular failures affects function or usability of vehicle for its intended purpose.

These should be agreeable definitions for this discussion. I think opinions diverge because “intended use” and “value” are different for every owner.

One owner’s intended use is comfortable, durable transportation in a vehicle with low depreciation.

Another’s use may be to improve monetization of their youtube channel or gram account.

Another’s is solid long term vehicle that will get them to crazy places, because for various reasons they want to go there.

And everywhere in between…

These differences will mean they will view wear and tear differently. And if somebody is constantly cleaning, repainting/buffing, fixing, rebuilding things that get worn during their intended use, it’s perfectly reasonable to say they take care of it. My neighbors must think Toyotas are piles of garbage judging by how often I’m messing with it in the garage or driveway. But really, I’m taking extra good care of it, in a manner fitting with it’s use.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  7. Oct 4, 2023 at 6:57 PM
    TacoGeeloor

TacoGeeloor New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock TRD Off Road Premium
    Very well said.

8. Oct 4, 2023 at 7:16 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I don’t know about first scratch…But I’d say right up until you need to replace a transfer case :D:oops:. Still feels new though lol

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 5, 2023 at 6:44 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Curious where swirls from the automatic car wash (brush type) enter into this saga...

10. Oct 5, 2023 at 3:18 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Well scratches are sometimes a good thing. There was this scratched up, old watch missing pieces. It sold for 1 million!

11. Oct 5, 2023 at 3:18 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    It’s actually “bad” to polish them.

12. Oct 5, 2023 at 7:11 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    The issue of having a dark vehicle......so I went off-roading to Sedona/Flagstaff area last month and I got plenty of scratches and even some dents. I tried to clean some and used fillers and all that stuff and eventually ended up getting a crew with ceramic products and paint correction and I have to say this thing looks pretty good again. If the scratches are bothering you, I say it is worth fixing them. My 2c.

4Runner Ceraminc.jpg
    Arizona Offroading.jpg

TacoGeeloor and Stoney Ranger like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top