1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overland Torque Tune (OTT) by Overland Tailor

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by JustDSM, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Jul 13, 2024 at 2:59 PM
    FancyLimited

FancyLimited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2024 Silver Limited
    I got mine done with a mild tune from Quoc today. The throttle response is nearly 1:1 now and feels so much better. I noticed the additional power merging on the freeway.

Where I noticed the most was around a freeway intersection where before it was sketchy to try to accelerate through the loop, now you can easily control the throttle and merge easily on the other end.

2. Jul 13, 2024 at 3:35 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I finally caved in today. Got the tune on both the taco and the 4R. It is different....for the better of course. Thanks to Kaleb from OTT for coming down to Houston.

20240713_171536.jpg

JustDSM[OP] and BortisYeltzen like this.
  3. Aug 16, 2024 at 7:27 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    This tune impressed me so much and Alex in Dallas is the man!

Finally pulled the trigger and I am absolutely blown away. The extra low end torque helps a ton! Updated shift logic means gear hunting is gone and driving around town is so much better. Hell even cruising at HWY speeds (65-85mph) it hardly ever needs to shift down to fourth gear and when it does its smooth and stays in fourth until I return to level ground or return to a constant speed. No more hunting between gears! Even radar cruise control is usable again due to the increase in torque which surprised me the most. I also picked up some fuel economy which was another pleasant surprise.

For reference I'm on heavy 34's (285/75/17 Falken A/T4W) with about 450 lbs of armor, winch, and bumpers added. Edit: stock gears.

If you guys on on the fence about this tune just do it. OTT is the way.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
  4. Aug 16, 2024 at 8:46 AM
    TimGinCentralNJ

TimGinCentralNJ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    '24 Limited in Classic Silver
    TRD Pro rims w/265/70-17 Toyo OC AT3s
    Thanks for posting this. Maybe this has been answered before, but did "we" ever get a definitive answer on whether or not a tune like this will void the factory warranty? I've got just under 3k on my '24 Limited and while I'm digging these improvements you're seeing, the last thing I want is to find myself voiding the warranty I effectively paid very dearly for.

Thanks,
    TimG

5. Aug 16, 2024 at 9:00 AM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    Very frequently asked question. Here is what I tell my customers:

“If the warranty issue in question is caused directly by the tune, you could potentially have your warranty voided on that item. Much like a lift and larger tires can void your powertrain warranty, so can a tune if it is found to be the cause of an issue. These tunes however are nearly undetectable by the dealership, but if they dig into it they can find the tune. No guarantees or promises are made that tuning will uphold your vehicle's warranty, HOWEVER many customers have had warranty work completed after receiving a tune without an issues. Please use your best discretion when considering tuning your vehicle.”

In short, if your warranty is your #1 priority, keep your vehicle 100% stock and get all your maintenance done on time at the dealership. Anything you do outside of that can put your warranty at risk the same as a tune.

6. Sep 5, 2024 at 9:44 PM
    as21

as21 New Member

Member:
    2015 you say? FULL treatment you say??:spending:
    What's the up to date on this?

7. Sep 6, 2024 at 8:14 AM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    We’re a little closer, but the crux is what we’re up against now. We have everything we need to actually complete the process. One hurdle left, but it’s the tricky part, so it’s not going to be tomorrow or anything like that.

Promise we’ll have this updated when we have it licked!

8. Sep 6, 2024 at 8:50 AM
    as21

as21 New Member

Member:
    godspeed my brother. cant wait to see its completion, although im sure you feel that even more than I

JustDSM[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Sep 6, 2024 at 8:58 AM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    Even the engine only OTT tune is a massive improvement over stock. Why wait? You can always get the TCU update later when released.

FancyLimited and JustDSM[OP] like this.
  10. Sep 6, 2024 at 9:27 AM
    as21

as21 New Member

Member:
    agreed the ecu only tune looks great and for many applications it is a massive improvement.
    for me the money is better spent on other mods atm since i primarily drive in S mode and believe i wont gain much from shift points and throttle mapping (already have a pedal commander installed). the tcu tune is interesting to me for gearlock / rpm based locker mapping as well as shift speeds. i plan on adding paddle shifters in the near future to gain more control and am looking forwards to being able to tweak the parameters to match my needs.

11. Sep 6, 2024 at 11:18 AM
    CoastPro4

CoastPro4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Pro LR
    I am currently running the OTT tune for my 21’ and am blown away how much more responsive the truck has been since… I settled on the “Spicy” tune in anticipation of moving up to 285/70 r17’s due to the heavier tires compared to the stock 32” Nittos. Do you think I would feel much of a difference when I move up in tire size? I mean, the way it sits with stock oem tire size…with the Spicy tune it almost, dare I say, feels “too” responsive :D. I actually am hoping the increased tire size slows her down a little. Thx!

JustDSM[OP] likes this.
  12. Sep 6, 2024 at 11:53 AM
    Henry J

Henry J Crap…crap crap crap crap…crap

Member:
    Sacramento Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Brick Red FJ & 2011 Silver T4R Trail
    Got mine a week ago from Area51. Love it!

FancyLimited and JustDSM[OP] like this.
  13. Sep 6, 2024 at 4:05 PM
    Number16

Number16 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner
    I am curious as to what people are paying for a tune. I reached out to one of two tuners here in Georgia and I was quoted $600.

14. Sep 6, 2024 at 4:58 PM
    Nubes

Nubes Toyota Addict

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Paid $500 in TX but it will vary by region from what I've seen.

Number16[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Sep 6, 2024 at 10:48 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    Just be aware that 2020+ MY vehicles will be a fair bit more expensive, due to the 2.5x higher licensing costs.

Nubes likes this.
  16. Sep 7, 2024 at 7:18 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    You’ll feel the larger tire but it’s not bad. I went with mild on the throttle setting since I wanted more control when off roading.

Products Discussed in

To Top