1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overland Torque Tune (OTT) by Overland Tailor

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by JustDSM, Sep 23, 2022.

1. May 26, 2024 at 6:16 PM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Question for you guys - are you expecting to get CARB certification for the 5th gen T4R tune? I live in Mass, we need that to pass inspection I believe ( they follow carb and check the ECU checksum).

I sw onTacomaworld you had the cert pending for the 3rd gen taco and would be pursuing it for others…

Last edited: May 26, 2024
  2. May 28, 2024 at 7:10 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    It's something that we're looking into, but we have elected to move forward with the 5.7L Tundra/Sequoia/Land Cruiser platforms. The 5th Gen 4Runner will likely be our next platform. We'll evaluate that as we near completion of the 5.7L submission.

You can be assured we'll post here with any developments/news on 5th Gen updates.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    waldo98 and jharkin[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Jun 3, 2024 at 5:48 PM
    Hilborn

Hilborn Ask me about my Taco.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    ADD W1 Oil Catch Can. ARK Splash Guards. Baxter Performance TK-501-BK Oil Filter Adapter. Canvasback Back Hatch. Differential Breather Relocation. Diode Dynamics SS3 SAE Yellow Pro Fog Lights. Dongar Industries Adapter. DRL Mod Harness. Garmin Mini 2 Dashcam. RokBlokz Mud Flaps. Stahlbus Oil Drain Plug. Yota Xpedetion Pro Grille. Yota Xpedetion Valances.
    @JustDSM Have you done any dyno testing with the dual vvt with bolt ons like you did with the single vvt? I've seen some of your results on Tacomaworld and now curious.

JustDSM[OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 3, 2024 at 6:00 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    We've done a little. Acess to the development vehicle and what the owner is willing to do is our limiting factor at this time.

We've done some airbox/intake testing, and preliminary data tells us nothing to be gained on a N/A Dual VVTi 1GR over the stock airbox/filter setup (assuming a clean filter). testing has shown that even with an open intake with no filter (zero restriction) the runs overlaid with a full OEM setup w/ OEM filter. Any difference was just "noise" and not a statistically significant difference.

With the OEM throttlebody already being 70mm, the 76mm (Tundra-sized) throttle body shows the exact same results as the intake testing, suggesting that nothing is gained on the induction size of an N/A engine.

Cam gears (another popular mod for the Single VVTi 1GR) are not relevant as we control the exhaust cam on this engine, and the necessary changes to cam timing are made in our calibration.

There is no ACIS system (variable length intake manifold runners) on this engine to adjust, as refining the crossover point sometimes yields a smidge of power. So, there is nothing there.

We had planned and will likely test an intake manifold spacer at some point, as the AES spacer on the 1GR Single VVTi returned a surprising increase across the rev range. I was almost certain we'd lose a touch of higher RPM power due to the longer runner. We'll see about revisiting this modification soon.

We did some some octane specific testing with the above tests. You can see some of the results here: https://www.4runners.com/threads/ov...t-by-overland-tailor.27827/page-3#post-502427

I don't intend to play with VVTi solenoids or other things like that.

Is there something specific you had in mind that you'd like to see?

Nubes and Hilborn[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jun 3, 2024 at 6:10 PM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    ADD W1 Oil Catch Can. ARK Splash Guards. Baxter Performance TK-501-BK Oil Filter Adapter. Canvasback Back Hatch. Differential Breather Relocation. Diode Dynamics SS3 SAE Yellow Pro Fog Lights. Dongar Industries Adapter. DRL Mod Harness. Garmin Mini 2 Dashcam. RokBlokz Mud Flaps. Stahlbus Oil Drain Plug. Yota Xpedetion Pro Grille. Yota Xpedetion Valances.
    I have the cam gears and intake spacer installed on my Tacoma, installation of the intake spacer should be just as easy but was curious if the juice was worth the squeeze.

6. Jun 3, 2024 at 6:13 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    You'll find it here when we test it.

If you're up for it, we'll bring you in and test it if you'd like to take part. No charge to you, just meet us in SLC.

7. Jun 3, 2024 at 6:18 PM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like a good time.

8. Jun 4, 2024 at 6:15 PM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    I’m game. Let’s get a spacer and throw ol’ red back on the rollers.

hossler1788 likes this.
  9. Jun 12, 2024 at 9:40 AM
    CoastPro4

CoastPro4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Pro LR
    Welp…I have an appointment set for the 22nd with my local ABQ Tuner John. Can’t wait!

jruss505 and JustDSM[OP] like this.
  10. Jun 12, 2024 at 9:54 AM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    John is a good guy! He’ll take good care of you.

jruss505 and CoastPro4[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jun 12, 2024 at 10:06 AM
    CoastPro4

CoastPro4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Pro LR
    I’m pumped! He has been great with communication and answering all my questions. I’ll definitely report back after the install ;).

BortisYeltzen and jruss505 like this.
  12. Jun 12, 2024 at 1:05 PM
    jruss505

jruss505 New Member

Member:
    Thanks! The leadership at OTT has made this the most awesome tune on the market. It’s a pleasure to promise customers that they will love it. :)

13. Jun 13, 2024 at 6:13 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    I used the map link to your website to locate my local tuner. We spoke yesterday and he answered all my questions but one. So I'll ask the question here.

How does the tune affect Toyota's "Adaptive Cruise Control"
    Does the shift logic change for the 2022 model help when using Adaptive Cruise Control?

Reason I ask is for me, most gear hunting occurs while using ACC. Usually driving normally gear hunting isn't a big issue even on 34's with about 400 pounds of armor/ winch/ bumper (stock gears.) If I approach a large hill I knock it down to S4 preemptively. Small inclines this is not typically needed.
    However, when using ACC on a slight incline or even sometimes on a level highway around 70 the rig starts hunting like Elmer Fudd...

Just wondering if changing the shift logic or the increase in mid range torque will help this as well. Or should I just turn ACC off and utilize the classic style of cruise control once tuned?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    CoastPro4 likes this.
  14. Jun 13, 2024 at 7:09 AM
    Nubes

Nubes Toyota Addict

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    When I spoke with my Tuner he said that ACC won't really be any different and to use the classic cruise control. After being tuned I can confirm that there might be a *slight* improvement due to some torque increase but the classic cruise is so much better when it comes to gear hunting.

15. Jun 13, 2024 at 7:49 AM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    ^this. There are no maps specific to the adaptive cruise control in the tuning software. Even if there was, adjusting them would take on significant liability as in some ways ACC is a safety feature since it brakes and accelerates based on the radar. ACC is set with very aggressive throttle and acceleration/deceleration to maintain +/- 2 mph of the set point. This will drive more aggressive downshift behavior and is not adjustable in the tuning software.

The constant cruise option that can be used by pressing and holding the cruise on button will drive better with the tune as it doesn’t have the crazy throttle of ACC. Again, there are no maps to adjust this behavior in the tuning software.

The improvement that occurs in CC is primarily due to the increased torque available with the tune. The vehicle will be able to hold the +/- 2 mph a little better with the tune, so it will shift less. However, it won’t completely transform the behavior of ACC. Any other tuner telling you otherwise is not being truthful.

I spend a decent amount of time driving my 2021 4Runner tuned with ACC at speeds between 70-90 mph (higher speed limits out here) and it does drive better than stock, but it’s not going to hold 4th gear pulling a mountain pass with ACC set to 75 mph, especially around other vehicles with inconsistent speeds coming in and out of lanes.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
  16. Jun 14, 2024 at 2:11 PM
    papito3kids

papito3kids New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Limited - Silver / Redwood
    OTT Tune
    Took my wife's '23 4Runner Limited to get the Overland Tailor Tuning (OTT) tune put on at Colorado Toyota Tuning. Ryan was ready and waiting when I rolled up. 20 minutes later I was on my way. What a difference! The throttle response is perfect, with no dead spots anywhere. The transmission doesn't gear-hunt on the highway nearly as much (need to try it with ACC turned off apparently), and it knows what gear to be in for every situation. No more lugging away from an intersection. Best part was that my wife noticed the difference immediately. Her response - "This is what it should feel like from the beginning!". If you are in Colorado I would highly recommend Colorado Toyota Tuning, these guys are awesome!

17. Jun 14, 2024 at 4:17 PM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    How much did you pay for the tune?

ChessGuy likes this.
  18. Jun 15, 2024 at 10:45 PM
    papito3kids

papito3kids New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Limited - Silver / Redwood
    OTT Tune
    $650. Worth every penny.

BortisYeltzen likes this.
  19. Jun 19, 2024 at 9:18 PM
    CoastPro4

CoastPro4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Pro LR
    Welp…was able to move up my appointment to today, last minute schedule change on my end and John, my local tuner @jruss505 was able to accommodate me without issue. All I can say is WOW…I’ve read through many reviews of this tune and until you can experience it for yourself, it just blows me away how this tune transforms the entire driving experience. I absolutely love the 4runner platform for what it is…but coming from a 2nd gen Tundra with the power and snappiness of that 5.7, the 4runner felt…sluggish in comparison. I can honestly say, this tune narrowed that gap tremendously. Is it as fast or powerful as my previous Tundra, no…but I would say it feels more responsive and just as linear with the power delivery.
    Just transforms the driving experience…wife LOVES the way it drives after the upgrade, and she’s a damn tough critic. John was so very knowledgeable, walking me through every step of the way. I loved the initial tune, but felt like I would be kicking myself if I hadn’t tried at least the next level up after the initial test drive…John was more than accommodating and even encouraged me to try anything I wanted…he really wanted to make sure I was truly happy with the final result. I was more than happy and am so glad I pulled the trigger on this upgrade…cannot recommend OTT and my installer enough. Thank you @jruss505 and @JustDSM for an amazing product and experience!

jruss505 and JustDSM[OP] like this.
  20. Jun 20, 2024 at 12:28 AM
    jruss505

jruss505 New Member

Member:
    Mark - Thanks for the kind words! It was great meeting with you today and getting you set up. Justin and John have created such a great mod with this tune; I love test drives with customers like you who see the value in this upgrade. Glad you like it!

CoastPro4[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jun 22, 2024 at 1:04 PM
    TimGinCentralNJ

TimGinCentralNJ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    '24 Limited in Classic Silver
    TRD Pro rims w/265/70-17 Toyo OC AT3s
    Apologies if this has been answered before, but any measurable drop in MPGs as a result of this tune? I can't in good conscious do this on my new '24 Limited due to (presumably) voiding the warranty, but would be interested in looking a little more seriously at this after my 3 years/36k miles have passed.

Thanks in advance ;)

TimG

22. Jun 22, 2024 at 1:24 PM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    The tune didn’t impact my mileage on my 2021 ORP, it remained the same. Going to 285’s sure did though.

23. Jul 10, 2024 at 7:44 PM
    Jaerok

Jaerok New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Undergroud ORP non KDSS
    Which setting did you end up getting?
    I'm between mild and medium based on reviews - stock weight

24. Jul 10, 2024 at 7:46 PM
    Jaerok

Jaerok New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Undergroud ORP non KDSS
    Which setting did you get?

25. Jul 11, 2024 at 7:54 PM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    Most customers land on Mild or Medium. If your T4R is totally stock, Mild. If you are lifted and have some weight and bigger tires Medium. If you have more than that and not regeared, Spicy.

CoastPro4 likes this.
  26. Jul 11, 2024 at 7:57 PM
    CoastPro4

CoastPro4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Pro LR
    I started with “Medium”….and really liked it, but my local tuner was great and implored me to try as many versions as I wanted. After my test drive with medium, I felt I that I should at least give the next level up a quick spin, Spicy. After a few stoplights and some long uphill runs I was sold on Spicy. I was afraid it would be “lurchy”…but it definitely was not. Power delivery is immediate and smooth. There is one more level above Spicy but I don’t think I’m gonna need it, not anytime soon at least. Highly highly recommend this for any 4runner. You won’t regret it ;).

27. Jul 11, 2024 at 8:04 PM
    CoastPro4

CoastPro4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Pro LR
    From someone who has much more knowledge and experience with these tunes…I really love the punchy nature of the Spicy tune for my 21’ Pro…and did have future aspirations of moving up into 285/70r17’s. Would moving to this tire size from stock have a drastic hit to the punchy nature I so love now?? Do not want to degrade or sacrifice how it drives now for just a few inches of height and width…thx!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
  28. Jul 11, 2024 at 9:25 PM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    I’ve tuned many of these. Spicy is great if you rarely use 4Lo and rarely get into snow and stop and go traffic. Here in Utah, if I tune a Spicy I know I’ll see them again at first snow to drop to Medium. There are exceptions, but this is after tuning dozens of T4R’s…

29. Jul 12, 2024 at 9:07 AM
    CoastPro4

CoastPro4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Pro LR
    Totally makes sense. I’m not sure I wanna jump tires sizes any time soon, I went with Spicy anticipating the added rotational weight of larger tires. I love how responsive it is now and really don’t want to erase it by adding mass to the wheels. I use my 4runner primarily for fire roads and wilderness areas to get to remote river spots for fly fishing, we don’t get a lot snow out here in NM but I will keep it in mind if I need too, I can drop a level :). Thx!

JustDSM[OP] likes this.
  30. Jul 13, 2024 at 2:54 PM
    cch2a

cch2a New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black 4runner
    Just had this done by Big Dawgs Tuning out of Clarksville, TN on my 23 4runner. He met me in Nashville and knocked it out in about 15 minutes. I went with setting 3. I should have done this the day I bought the 4runner. It drives so much better now and easily worth the money. I have 275/70r17 E rated tires and plan to step up to 285. I'm not worried at all about acceleration now going to the bigger tire.

Products Discussed in

To Top