1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overland Torque Tune (OTT) by Overland Tailor

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by JustDSM, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Oct 11, 2023 at 10:38 AM
    sympley76

sympley76 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Limited
    Any support for Canadian customers on Toronto area?

JustDSM[OP] likes this.
  2. Oct 11, 2023 at 10:47 AM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
  3. Oct 15, 2023 at 10:13 AM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    After the dyno session I decided to run 88 octane for my road trip down to the Moab area for a little vacation with the family. Been running 91 octane exclusively up until recently. My observations:

1. Throttle feels the same, obviously changing octane doesn’t change throttle sensitivity. I run Mild throttle settings most the time. I’ve tested Mild and Medium on 88 octane.

2. Butt-dyno power feel doesn’t change, feels pretty similar to running 91. My butt-dyno not calibrated tightly enough to notice the slightly lower TQ/HP.

3. Shifting is where I see a subtle difference. Nothing major, but it seems the 4R needs to downshift a little more often on 88. Been monitoring my KCLV to see how the 4R settles on 88, and it is in the 19-21-deg range. On 91 I’m usually over 24. The little extra torque and HP lower in the rpm range that the OTT tune allows the 4R to make on 91 seems to help it hold gears just a little longer vs 88. Adaptive cruise control also seems to behave a little better on 91, again, it’s the increased torque helping it hold gears.

4. MPG? didn’t see any change really, staying between 17-20 mpg depending on around town and highway driving.

My take is if you live in flatter areas and are just daily driving, 87-88 octane gives you plenty of bang for the buck. However, if you live in the mountains or hilly areas, and are constantly going up and down hills, 91 octane improves the shift scheduling over 88 octane due to the increased torque. I’ll probably switch back and forth between 88-91 a few more times on my typical drives to the hills and see what else I notice, if anything.

4. Oct 15, 2023 at 2:13 PM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    I believe you aren't tuning 2016 4runners at the moment?

5. Oct 16, 2023 at 3:53 PM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    Development for many 2010-2019 T4R’s is on hold until full ECU (engine) and TCU (transmission) access is available. Full ECU/TCU tunes are available for most all 2005-2009 4th Gen’s (V6 and V8) as well as all 2020+ 5th Gen 4Runners.

VF Tuner is making progress on the TCU access for the 2010-2019’s missing it. There are a few 2010-2019 5th gens that have full access, but most do not. While ECU only tunes are possible, selling partial tunes at costs that cover full vehicle licensing in the software isn’t a great value for customers.

JustDSM[OP] likes this.
  6. Nov 14, 2023 at 8:22 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Borla exhaust, Jet MAF sensor, K&N filter, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Hella horns, electric fan, Pedal Commander, Derale power steering cooler,
    They offer OTT here for my 4runner for $450. I guess I should have wasted money on that first, but mine runs good.I ran 91 before like you and I could tell it a bit. It did really make a mileage difference. After enough key starts it probably resets the parameters

7. Dec 2, 2023 at 4:58 AM
    ibilintuc

ibilintuc New Member

Member:
    Question about flashing back to stock.
    Hello. How does one return to a stock configuration if so elected? Is the stock “tune” read and filed before flashing with the OTT tune? … and then would that file be used to flash back to stock? (I basically have the same 4Runner as @BortisYeltzen; 2022 though.)
    --Thank you

8. Dec 2, 2023 at 5:09 AM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    For vehicles tuned on VF Tuner software, there is a stock file we can load back to the vehicle. If you cave followed the Tacoma drama, there was some encryption applied to the 3rd Gen Tacoma that was changing the stock CVN with the VF Tuner stock files. That has been corrected by VF. If your 4Runner is tuned with HP Tuners, we keep a stock file from the truck, but also if we read even a tuned ECU with HP Tuners, HPT will provide a stock file back we can load.

9. Dec 2, 2023 at 5:44 AM
    ibilintuc

ibilintuc New Member

Member:
    Thank you for the response.
    For the VF tune stock file …are all stock tunes the same? Please allow me be more direct, as this would ease my hesitance: Can an OTT Retail Tuner hand to me my downloaded stock file on a flash drive? I realize it is not a file that I can use on my own. I would just feel more at ease if I had it, and could provide the file to any local tuner to be used to flash back to my specific 4Runner's stock configuration.

10. Dec 2, 2023 at 5:56 AM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    In VF Tuner, the stock files for each year/ECU calibration ID can be used for any vehicle that matches that calibration ID. Yes, you could be provided a stock file for your vehicle both in HP Tuners and VF Tuner.

Where are you located?

11. Dec 2, 2023 at 6:30 AM
    ibilintuc

ibilintuc New Member

Member:
    I am in the AZ TunePro region. Tucson AZ.
    (I am sure that I am appearing as an ass, but that is just a practice I have learned from IC layout and software development …safety backup copies made before editing. So, what I am understanding is that there is a limited number if stock versions and they can be accessed with the ECU calibration ID .)

12. Dec 2, 2023 at 7:37 AM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP
    In-Progress
    If you want a copy of a stock file it is super easy for AZ Tune Pro to give you one via email etc..

13. Dec 7, 2023 at 6:44 PM
    ibilintuc

ibilintuc New Member

Member:
    Can this tune be flashed and retain the stock throttle setting? (I read somewhere this can be done, but now can't find it and starting to doubt myself.)

BortisYeltzen and JustDSM[OP] like this.
  14. Dec 7, 2023 at 6:49 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    BortisYeltzen likes this.
  15. Dec 8, 2023 at 4:28 AM
    ibilintuc

ibilintuc New Member

Member:
    Perfect! I'm booked for Sunday with Brian.

16. Dec 8, 2023 at 7:12 AM
    ualfltdispatch

ualfltdispatch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium
    Thanks. I see they're in Chicagoland but no actual location. Any idea where as will determine appointment time. Can't wait to get rid if the lag!

17. Mar 1, 2024 at 6:45 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    I feel compelled to share a recent experience that underscores the critical importance of seeking qualified professionals when modifying your vehicles for additional horsepower.

Today, we had the opportunity to work on a 2023 Toyota 4Runner equipped with a Magnuson supercharger system. The vehicle had been fitted with this enhancement by an authorized dealer/installer. However, upon closer inspection and dyno testing, it became glaringly apparent that the supercharger-specific vehicle calibration had not been correctly implemented.

Initially, everything seemed fine with the installation. The vehicle appeared to run smoothly, and the client had no major complaints. However, during baseline pulls on the dyno, red flags started to appear. The vehicle's performance metrics, including ignition timing and fueling, were nowhere near where they should have been for a vehicle with this configuration.

4Runner First two.png

This critical oversight meant that the customer was left without the necessary adjustments in fueling, ignition timing, and other necessary calibration parameters that are required to accommodate forced induction on an engine originally designed for naturally aspirated operation. This vehicle had not much more than 4000mi on the odometer and was clearly of value to the owner. It's very likely the long term use of the supercharger with the calibration that was in the vehicle could have damaged the engine or worse. After we made the observations that something was off, we consulted the client and informed them of the findings and concerns. Further inspection of the vehicle revealed everything was order and there wasn't any immediate concern for a mechanical issue, so we elected to load the OTT 4Runner Magnuson Base Calibration.

4Runner Maggy arrived vs OTT Base.png
    Red: As the vehicle arrived. Stock 2023 4Runner w/ Magnuson S/C Fitted.

Blue: Above vehicle w/ OTT "Base" Calibration.

The vehicle IMMEDIATELY responded to the OTT calibration. Fueling, Ignition, etc. were all where they should be for a vehicle of this configuration and it shows in how the engine responds. The base calibration worked fantastic! We put a little time making a few final custom tweaks and that was a wrap. One thing we find over and over with the 4Runners equipped with the Magnuson S/C kits is the need for a fuel pump. The OE pump is on the ragged edge of being able to supply the necessary fuel volume for this application and we STRONGLY urge all with this kit to make this your next upgrade or simply install one at the time you perform the installation.

4Runner OTT Final vs Stock.png
    Red: As the vehicle arrived. Stock 2023 4Runner w/ Magnuson S/C Fitted.

Blue: Above vehicle w/ OTT "Custom" Calibration.

This situation highlights the potential risks associated with entrusting complex installations to individuals or establishments. Without the expertise of a skilled installer and tuning professional, your vehicle's performance enhancements may not only fail to deliver the desired results but could also compromise its reliability and safety. Therefore, I urge all members of our community to exercise diligence when seeking modifications for their Toyotas. Whether it's adding a supercharger, upgrading exhaust systems, or any other performance enhancement, always choose authorized dealers/installers with a proven track record of expertise and reliability.

Furthermore, once the installation is complete, it is equally important to seek out qualified tuning professionals who can ensure that your vehicle's calibration is optimized for the changes made. This step is crucial in maximizing performance, maintaining drivability, and safeguarding the integrity of your vehicle.

In conclusion, remember that your Toyota is more than just a mode of transportation—it's a reflection of your passion for automotive excellence. By working with trusted professionals and prioritizing proper calibration, you can unlock the full potential of your vehicle while enjoying peace of mind on every journey.

18. Mar 1, 2024 at 7:17 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    Justin, which location was this at? Are all your locations equally trained? I have a Magnuson on my 4Runner without an upgraded fuel pump. I head out to a Navy ship in about a month but should be back home about August. I'll install an upgraded fuel pump and get in touch with you guys then.

Also, what fuel pump do you suggest? Would a DeatschWerks 255 LPH like found at URD be sufficient. If I upgrade the fuel pump to accomodate the Magnuson, I'd like it to be the highest quality available.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  19. Mar 2, 2024 at 7:21 AM
    UATahoe

UATahoe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Pro
    Very interested in this as well. I think I may go ahead and plan to install a new pump when the Magnuson gets installed.

JustDSM[OP] and hossler1788 like this.
  20. Mar 2, 2024 at 4:03 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    These runs were performed here in Salt Lake City, UT. Most of our development is done here in UT, however we do work in Birmingham, AL on occassion.

All of our retailers are going to provide you with the same quality calibrations as you'd get direct from OTT. I oversee all calibration development by OTT, so any calibration being sold as an OTT calibration has been built by me or been blessed by myself before being made available to the public.

All of our retailers will utilize the same files. Our base file library is made available to all within our network to ensure consistency and availability. However, every forced induction vehicle that we tune is datalogged and reviewed by myself or the owner of OTT. Each Forced Induction calibration is hand made by myself or John. We do not have off the shelf calibrations for boosted applications. Each vehicle is configured for the specifics of that project.

I would highly recommend you seek out a higher volume pump. the DW pump should be fine for the fuel demands of this system. I don't see any issues with it. Let URD know we said "hi" when you place your order! :)

Give us a shout when you get home. Stay safe!

Justin

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Rob41[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Mar 2, 2024 at 4:06 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    Thanks for your reply Justin, I'll get in touch when I get home.

JustDSM[OP] likes this.
  22. Mar 2, 2024 at 5:07 PM
    HBJ32

HBJ32 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Was it installed by an authorized dealer for magnusson? I asked in another tuner thread about the fuel pump and it was not needed for the base tune. Is the fuel pump needed on a base level magnusson tune or just when seeking more boost?

https://www.4runners.com/threads/yo...lopment-and-feedback.21473/page-9#post-532971

23. Mar 2, 2024 at 6:21 PM
    DialupDavid

DialupDavid New Member

Member:
    Holy absolute cripes, you're telling me you guys are pulling an additional ~50HP over the stock Magnuson tune?! That's basically doubling the supercharger gains over stock HP.... GAME CHANGER!
    I got mine installed back in ?June? I think this year through a Magnuson certified Toyota dealer who does many of them.. They did mention to me they needed to validate ECU calibration with Magnuson, I wonder if that comes into play here with the wonky results you guys seen.

Pretty sure that this is a guaranteed thing I will be doing when my Magnuson warranty is over later this year from mileage.
    How exciting to know I'm not end game with performance improvements!

Great work!!!

24. Mar 2, 2024 at 6:24 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    The kit on this particular vehicle was installed by an authorized dealer for Magnuson.

We do not share the same opinion on the fuel pump situation. With that said, I do not think you need to stop what you're doing and go install a fuel pump to save your engine. We've had 2 of these on the dyno now; many tuned on the street for remote clients. Our data shows that most of the vehicles we log show signs of an inadequate fuel system.

An example of what we see can be seen below. This particular example isn't as exaggerated as what we see on vehicles at lower elevations due to the lower DA (our vehicle was run at 4300ASL) which taxes the fuel system less than it would at sea level. It would be quite a bit more pronounced the further towards sea level you get.

4runner fueling.png

The above snipit from a log during our session with the vehicle in question shows the vehicle is able to maintain targeted fueling until RPM's rise. Fueling will start to diverge and deviate from what's commanded. Many will bandaid this by simply commanding a richer mixture but the root issue remains and injector duty cycle will rise.. This is a similar approach to how the supplied calibration addresses the situation.

Our issue is that the pump is already at the ragged edge of its capacity, and while some vehicles don't show issue, as pumps age, fuel socks get dirty from use/dirty gas, the ability of the system to supply the necessary volume is just going to continue to drop and that'll further exacerbate the issue. I'd much rather see the root issue be resolved and restore the "headroom" Toyota designed into the system to maintain the reliability of the system. A pump is cheap insurance for your expensive build.

Here's something to consider. The URD Whipple kit comes with the recommended pump and is is acknowledged as being necessary in that application.. Lets look at URD's dyno:

URD whipple Dyno.png

Compare the torque curve of their run vs ours:

4Runner OTT Final vs Stock.png

You might see why we recommend a pump ;)

BortisYeltzen likes this.
  25. Mar 2, 2024 at 6:27 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    No sir, I am not quite saying that. I believe this vehicle somehow did not have the Magnuson calibration loaded and was in fact on the OEM Stock Calibration.

We've dyno'd the Magnuson Calibration on another 4Runner and it was not at all similar to how the 2023 that we did above performed.

WM-TRDBRO-MSC-OTT-Final-vs-MSC-Base-No-GL.jpg

This is what our calibration did over the Magnuson Tune on a vehicle that had the Magnuson calibration appropriately installed.

26. Mar 2, 2024 at 6:32 PM
    DialupDavid

DialupDavid New Member

Member:
    Thank you for the clarity, that's still a massive gain in my opinion..

Do you believe Magnuson knew this limitation with the fuel pump? Hence why performance gains are so tame out of the box? (Speculation obviously, but this sounds plausible per above).

27. Mar 7, 2024 at 10:31 PM
    MuttRunner

MuttRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 4R ORP
    Ironman Foam Cell Pro lift Durobumps Cali Raised Roof Rack (gross) SSO Slimline Pro front bumper Victory 4x4 Rear bumper w/ Swingouts Warner Evo 8S ARB dual compressor Interior rear molles, and center console molle. Garmin Tread XL Baja Fogs. LP6s. Squadron Pros. S8. XL80s. S2s. S1s. 43" dual function. 285/70/17 Cooper STT Pros
    Man, I'm so glad I found this thread. I just heard about OTT for the first time today and decided to dig in and do some research. My next step with our 4R was planning on doing a 4.56 regear to combat the constant gear shifting when even on the slightest incline with CC set, due to all of the added weight. Now, I'm seriously considering this as my next upgrade. Do you have any tuners local to the Boise, ID area?

Thanks!

BortisYeltzen, Rob41 and JustDSM[OP] like this.
  28. Mar 7, 2024 at 10:39 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    Give Caden Chandler/Taco Vinyl a shout!

PH: (208) 697-4555
    E-Mail: support@tacovinyl.com
    Web: www.tacovinyl.com
    FB: IG: www.instagram.com/tacovinyl/

29. Mar 12, 2024 at 2:35 PM
    T4RPack02

T4RPack02 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock 4Runner TRD ORP
    Magnuson Supercharger Dobinsons IMS SCS Wheels
    Any chance you guys are looking to upgrade the pulley on the 4R Magnuson s/c and tune it?

JustDSM[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  30. Mar 12, 2024 at 3:08 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    For me part of the beauty of the Magnuson is even with the OTT tune, it's somewhat conservative and isn't taking maximum performance right to the edge of impacting reliability. I'll be doing the OTT tune this summer but def not an "upgrade" pulley as I'm very happy with my Maggie already.

Products Discussed in

To Top