1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official: You know what really grinds my gears?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by FN2187, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Dec 18, 2023 at 8:24 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 [OP] Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    She goes by many names. Most recently she's known as catty tub tubs or meatloaf

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Dec 18, 2023 at 8:33 PM
    BGH2023

BGH2023 Luvs his 4Runner

Member:
    Front Range of Komarado
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    How about all the vehicles on the road with really expired plates...like the one I saw today from July of 2020. Think they have valid insurance?

2Toys and Thatbassguy like this.
  3. Dec 18, 2023 at 8:43 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 [OP] Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    You would think with all the speed cameras, red light cameras, bus cameras, and LEO license plate readers (at least I'm my area) they'd be able to crack down on that. Maybe they're great at obeying the law and go unnoticed.

I would say the DMV (or whatever it's called in your area) would have a handle on it but there are too many jokes about that to make it a realistic solution

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Dec 18, 2023 at 8:52 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    My registration is current but my plate has a '21 sticker on it. It was a result of moving right around the time my registration was due and not changing my address on my license right away. I have the '24 sticker somewhere, but I keep forgetting about it.

My insurance hasn't lapsed in at least 23 years. I'm sure some of those folks are driving around illegally, though. I will say that having a revoked license when I was young and dumb taught me to drive conservatively.

5. Dec 18, 2023 at 8:59 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 [OP] Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    I moved around the time my stickers expired when moving out of state. The apartment complex had a tow truck driving around twice a day looking for dumb shit like that. The asshole stuck a giant sticker (probably 6" by 9") on my window that had to come off with goo gone saying I was going to be towed.

Had to call the apartment complex to make sure they didnt tow me, print out the receipt for the updated registration from another state and tape it to my window after I spent an hour getting their sticker off. That ground my gears

6. Dec 19, 2023 at 5:02 AM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I actually worked with my friend who bought a tow truck. We would drive around the parking lot looking for those stickers, If they didnt have one we would "snatch" it!lol
    He got hit in the face with a metal pipe one night.

7. Jun 5, 2024 at 8:55 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    My neighbor goes outside daily at 7pm idle his Porsche Cayenne (with a very loud start up) for about 20 minutes daily. I close my windows prior to that so my house doesn't fill with the smell of idling Porsche.

He doesn't drive it.

2Toys and Thatbassguy like this.
  8. Jun 5, 2024 at 9:08 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    That sounds annoying!

Reminded me of something my neighbors have been doing. They have dirt-bikes and ATV's over there, and sometimes they ride right until dark. They even do it on weekdays. I've even been in bed already and heard them circling around.

Don't get me wrong; I love living in a neighborhood where people can ride ATV's and shoot guns on their property. I just wish they'd keep the ruckus to reasonable hours.

Ricphoto likes this.
  9. Jun 6, 2024 at 3:42 PM
    TrailSpecial22

TrailSpecial22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Trail Special Edition Lunar Rock
    2” lift Bilstein 6112 w/600 lb coils front, 1.5” lift Eibach T13 coils rear, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD skidplate, TRD stainless catback w/black TRD side exhaust, TRD shifter handle, Weathertech bug deflector, 20% tint front, LED door bulbs, 285/70/17 Falken WP AT3, Energy Suspension front bumpstops, SSO Slimline Bumper w/ Badland Shackles, Durobumps 4.25” rear
    How about those assholes (including truckers) that drive at or below the speed limit in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway!?!?!? Move the F*** to the right lane if you want to drive slow.

10. Jun 6, 2024 at 3:55 PM
    LCJ77

LCJ77 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gilbertsville,Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Ice Cap
    Ceramic Tint, D/S grab Handle, waiting for Brite Box Anytime, may add Raptor lights
    Been calling them "Left Lane Losers'" for years!! Especially the one's that enter the hiway & immediately go to the Left "Passing Lane" when there's NO one in the Right " Diving Lane"
    Now that I work from home since last Aug. I forgot how ignorant drivers can be:eek: until I have to travel & commute to the AP. Then I quickly remember :mad: and to think I did 63 to 58 miles (depending on job) commuting since 1993 & NEVER got into a road rage conflict!!!:amen: I'm an aggressive driver (per wife's description) but she also says because I commute. I pay attention to vehicles several ahead of me. watch for brake lights/reflections, use mirrors extensively ( she doesn't trust them!:eek:)All in all I feel as a competent commuter that uses rules of the road & yes exceeds the speed limit W/in reason too. Don't wear out brakes. 1999 Mustang GT travel 63 mi 1 hiway& Pa Tpk from 93- 98 W/that car 115kmi original brakes (Traded for Explorer Sport Great vehicle). & had 1/4" left on front pads.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    2Toys and TrailSpecial22[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jun 6, 2024 at 4:20 PM
    Acesandeights

Acesandeights #34

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2024 ORP
    265/70/17 BFG AT KO2, chapstick in the cup holder
    I keep my registration stickers in the jockey box. It's exciting to get pulled over. I always say, "oh shoot, I gave them to my son to put on and I never noticed he didn't do it. I'll do it as soon as I get home." A judge is never going to make you pay the ticket if you tell them you put them on immediately after getting cited, so the police never cite for it. Makes the day less boring to see those blue and red lights behind you!

What grinds my gears is a bad clutch.

12. Jun 6, 2024 at 6:51 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Hold up I'm confused... you enjoy getting pulled over because you didn't put the sticker on your plate?

Sin4R and Thatbassguy like this.
  13. Jun 6, 2024 at 6:53 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Nothing like wasting taxpayer dollars for your own amusement. :der:

14. Jun 6, 2024 at 6:56 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Cops still pull people over? I thought everything was legal now? Hookers and heroin? Everytime I drive some dipshit crosses the double lines.

Acesandeights likes this.
  15. Jun 6, 2024 at 7:08 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Not to mention inviting The Man into your life. Never invite The Man into your life.

16. Jun 6, 2024 at 7:15 PM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    This!! It falls under the "law of unintended consequences." Or Murphy's Law - what can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible moment.

Sin4R and Thatbassguy like this.
  17. Jun 6, 2024 at 7:31 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    Maybe he likes seeing everything in his vehicle pulled out and lined up along the shoulder.

Sin4R, Thatbassguy and 2Toys like this.
  18. Jun 6, 2024 at 7:47 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I have never understood the mentality of being difficult towards authority just for the sake of being difficult. Most LEO'S are good people just trying to make a living and maybe help maintain law and order. Of course, there are always going to be some bad eggs. That's a different story.

I am a big fisherman, also. And, I'm always amused by dumbfucks who fight wardens over the 4th ammendment, while being completely unaware that it doesn't apply to open fields and open water. Better yet, are the fucktards who say that it's not open water during ice fishing, because it's frozen. I still can't believe that there are grown-ass adults who are that stupid.

19. Jun 7, 2024 at 4:44 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    We get them here too, but usually they are just going AT the speed limit while both the left and right lane are blowing by at 15-20 over.

The other one I love is getting stuck behind landscaping trucks doing 10 below the limit on backroads at 6:30am while I'm going to work. Seriously, I have somewhere to be and they are tootling along at 25 in a 40.:annoyed:

I am really becoming convinced they must all be driving without a license and afraid of getting stopped..?? ...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
    TrailSpecial22[QUOTED] and 2Toys like this.
  20. Jun 7, 2024 at 4:54 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    OMFG, that happens in every hobby it seems.

My hobby is flying remote control toy airplanes :oops: but these are not little toys they are big boy toys that I need a trailer to haul around and powered by loud gas engines... We are fortunate enough to have organized clubs with dedicated land to operate on - but we dont own it, we usually have a nice arrangement with some landowner to use it. One club I go to we use an open field next to a prison and ha vea deal with them, another club is actually on state conservation land but we have a permit from the state thanks to hard work of a former member.

Here is where the fun comes in. This is New England, not Texas, so there is civilization around us and every once in a blue moon somebody will call a noise complaint and the cops show up. Usually we just chat with them and give them a little show and they are totally cool about it - but once in a while some crusty old guy will decide he has to make a speech about his "rights"... which gets the cop pissed then they start asking for IDs and then the "rights" guy starts bitchin about his "freedom" and you know where that leads....

We have been lucky so far but it sucks when we have to call a club meeting and give folks a lecture to not piss off the authorities lest they talk to the land owner and our permit gets pulled. Seems some folks don't understand the concept of private property and permits and that we don't have a "constitutional right" to use land we don't own.

2Toys and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  21. Jun 7, 2024 at 5:53 AM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Reminds me of a story my brother told me about when he and his best buddy bet $100 for fun that his friend could talk his way out of a ticket. I know him well and he could sell ice to Eskimos. So they are driving on the highway and a cop is pacing them side by side and they make the bet. So my brothers buddy floors it and cuts the cop off forcing him to pull them over. My brothers wallet was a $100 lighter that day.

22. Jun 7, 2024 at 6:13 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Grey Limited
    Exactly. While most LEOs are reasonable and are out there to protect, it takes only one bad apple/someone having a bad day to seriously ruin your life. Not having a sticker is a probable cause, then you can be deemed 'acting suspiciously', searched with consent or with a dog, given roadside sobriety tests, having your property civil forfeited, deemed to resist arrest or acted disorderly. Then you are looking at thousands in lawyer costs and unless you have a dash cam you might not even come out on top.

Find yourself less dangerous hobby, like skydiving or base jumping.

TrailSpecial22, LCJ77 and Thatbassguy like this.
  23. Jun 11, 2024 at 6:51 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    You know what really grinds my gears?

Vultures sending me letters trying to buy my Dad's house. FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKER! Fucking piece of shit assholes trying to make a buck off my Dad dying. Fuck.

24. Jun 11, 2024 at 6:55 PM
    2Toys

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    Brother, sorry for your loss. Sincere condolences.

Some people have no heart or conscience. There are special places for people like that...

25. Jun 11, 2024 at 6:57 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Thank you! And, I totally agree.

2Toys[QUOTED] and LCJ77 like this.
  26. Jun 11, 2024 at 9:54 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 [OP] Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    I'll echo 2Toys, sorry for your loss.

If there were a clean exit strategy I'd suggest selling it to all of them at the same time and then walking away with the dough - let them sort out the mess while you sip drinks on the beach somewhere with a new name. But that plan isn't thought all the way through

That special place should be on the set of the next Saw movie...

2Toys[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Jun 11, 2024 at 10:07 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    My brother-in-law drove ALL the way from two states away just to drop of Wills. It had so many errors it looked like a 3rd grader wrote it. Then my dad stressed out caught cancer and died.

28. Jun 12, 2024 at 6:54 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    So sorry for your loss Bassguy. We just lost my mom in May after a 12 year cancer battle, I know how hard it is. Still have mountains of paperwork to go though on top of the grieving (she was stubborn and never want to talk finances with the kids and didn't leave a will so as oldest I get to play forensic accountant, fun :( ) ......

29. Jun 12, 2024 at 7:10 AM
    2Toys

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    And my sincere condolences for you and your family as well.

When my father passed some years ago, he didn't have a will either. I am the oldest of two, and I know exactly what you are going through. It was a mess. And to make it worse, my father's brother had passed around ten months prior, and his brother did not have a will either. So that estate had to be settled first, and then my father's. It took years because of will searches and other issues.

30. Jun 12, 2024 at 7:19 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    I don't feel the "like" button is an appropriate or sufficient reponse so Ill just say thank you for the kind words 2Toys and condolences to you too and everybody else here who is going though this tough midlife stage.

2Toys and LCJ77 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top