1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New teaser image confirms roll down back window

Discussion in '6th Gen 4Runners (2025+)' started by Trekker, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Apr 7, 2024 at 4:38 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    It's true that the current gen is much better and will last much longer than the 6th gen - if toyota has no fucking idea what it's doing and just got lucky on the 5th gen.

Thatbassguy and broken-giver like this.
  2. Apr 7, 2024 at 4:40 PM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    lol.

3. Apr 7, 2024 at 4:43 PM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    I am not automatically going to assume next gen will be worse off reliability wise than current 5th gen. I am sure they know what they are doing, certainly more than me and others here who think it’s going to be a dumpster fire.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Apr 7, 2024 at 4:48 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R Off Road
    I am sure they are meeting EPA requirements and that's all. Hard pass. A little 4-cyl working way too hard for a very heavy truck, mated to an 8 or 10 speed transmission or whatever other mess they come up with. Hard pass.

They have already alienated half of their base, and they haven't even started yet.

Next up: burning a quart of oil every 500 miles being considered "normal" like when they tried to use low friction piston rings to meet EPA requirements.

https://choisserautorepair.com/what-to-do-about-toyotas-excessive-oil-consumption/

And they sure knew what they were doing with the 10k oil change interval too ... making a market for replacement vehicles. :rolleyes:

And the plant-based wire insulation that mice love to eat.

Then there was the fender problem that literally cracked the metal down the middle of the front fenders on the FJ Cruiser. An example of failed engineering.

0W20 oil in Florida? No. Another example of trying to squeeze out .1 MPG for the EPA.

It's not about the consumer anymore. They usually but not always know what they are doing, and it's not always in the consumer's favor.

1GR-FE and the 5-speed is a reliable and proven platform. It just doesn't meet EPA requirements.

Disclaimer: your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  5. Apr 7, 2024 at 5:01 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Inline motors are inherently stronger than V types. I'll bet anyone that, if they end up having issues, it's not going to be in the bottom end.

How have they alienated half of their base?

broken-giver likes this.
  6. Apr 7, 2024 at 5:01 PM
    4R777

4R777 New Member

Member:
    Toyota been using hybrid tech for many years in their other vehicles. I'm sure they have worked out a lot of kinks by now.

Tacoma Hybrid
    Tundra Hybrid
    Land Cruiser Hybrid
    Sequoia Hybrid
    Highlander Hybrid
    Rav4 Hybrid

Rest of the vehicle is just basic engine, transmission, and suspension stuff. And since 4Runner going to use same engine as Tacoma, and same parts, Toyota already got a head start on working out the kinks for new gen.

broken-giver likes this.
  7. Apr 7, 2024 at 5:05 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R Off Road
    Hard pass. You all can buy whatever you want. I predict this will be a failure if not within a year or two then 10 years down the road. Reviewers will "love" it and praise it because they get paid to. The green crowd that buys the hybrid will love it because they ignore the above quote.

Your mileage may vary.

8. Apr 7, 2024 at 5:28 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R Off Road
    How many people use a 10 year old phone or tablet and still just love it so much? That's what it will be like using that thing over time. That is, if it keeps working that long. These things ought to be options for people who want only short-term ownership, not mandatory equipment. Planned obsolescence.

9. Apr 10, 2024 at 1:09 PM
    FourBelugas

FourBelugas New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 white ORP
    I despise the damage that the superficial car reviewers have done to the automotive world. So many of these SOBs have no other marketable skills so all they can do is crowing about how the latest ____ has no brand new ______. That's how they get paid, so those few car makers that do keep things consistent and work bugs out over time do not get the recognition, instead they get blasted by these imbeciles.

Sometimes it's just an automobile, it is designed to transport humans and cargo from point A to point B. It doesn't need to be a rolling computing center that is also one's personal assistant.

I am never going to give up my 2005 corolla, it's a car for me, not my best friend that can anticipate every move I am about to make.

10. Apr 10, 2024 at 1:20 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R Off Road
    I'm already tired of my 2024 TRD "Nanny-Runner" acting like my mother and trying to protect me. :(

2Toys and FourBelugas[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Apr 10, 2024 at 1:23 PM
    FourBelugas

FourBelugas New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 white ORP
    I was watching the review of the GX550 and it mentioned that there is an infred camera always watching the driver's eyes and beeps if the distracted driver monitoring is on, and driver looks in a direction other than straight ahead. It can be turned off, for now, but imagine how soon before it becomes a mandatory feature since driver monitoring is a part of the federal "Infrastructure" bill.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politic...t-new-cars-have-anti-drunk-driving-technology

12. Apr 10, 2024 at 1:27 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R Off Road
    I said in a thread somewhere that the next step is to have to pee in a cup and wait 5 minutes before it will start. If you fail, it auto dials the police.

FourBelugas likes this.
To Top