1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice regarding throttle body work and warranty.

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by soze, Jul 11, 2024.

1. Jul 12, 2024 at 10:57 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Did they claim the picture showed a “dirty” throttle body? Or was it showing what it looked like after cleaning?

If the pic is showing a dirty throttle body, then this really sucks. Keep all info they give you especially that picture and the claim that it’s evidence of a dirty throttle body. It really does seem they are trying to deceive you.

I’m a bit worried about the direction of where all this is going. I mean, dealing with slimy warranty claims practices is tolerable if you never need to make a claim. But the newer toyotas are having some pretty serious issues. If toyota is going to join the ranks of shitty manufacturers with constant problems, they better get their dealers and warranty claims process in order. Otherwise any Ford or Chrysler or Kia is gonna start looking just as good.

Or not. Hell, if Boeing leadership can publicly and literally not give a flying f*ck about what they’re building, while under oath, then there’s not much stopping any manufacturer from showing the same attitude.

Slopemaster and 2Toys like this.
  2. Jul 12, 2024 at 11:28 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    If I were OP, I would immediately take it to an independent mechanic, pay them to troubleshoot and document the current state of the car (essentially you are after all-clear to protect future warranty and to get issue properly diagnosed) then submit all that paperwork to Corporate Toyota and ask them to investigate that dealer for warranty fraud.

Dealerships usually do not like warranty work, as it pays less going rate than regular work they can get. So they only do it if they have to or if they don't have other work. However, Corporate will punish dealership in many ways if they get documented warranty refusal/redo in financial ways and less allocations. So when Sales Manager goes to the General Manager with "we got less incentives and allocations because service botched that one job" message, Service Manager get in a serious trouble.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    soze[OP] and McSpazatron like this.
  3. Jul 12, 2024 at 11:35 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    This is a great idea. Maybe going as far as to find an independent mechanic that can show toyota certifications. That would help with presenting your info for small claims court as well, if you decide to go that route. I like the idea not just getting what you are due in terms of a warranty repair, but of leveling a fraud complaint if it’s plainly clear that’s what they are doing.

Much better idea than my general “the end is nigh” sentiments lol:p

soze[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 12, 2024 at 11:37 AM
    soze

soze [OP] Tiny Trucker

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 MG TRD ORP
    Bone Stock
    They claimed that picture as being dirty. These pictures are what they show before you approve work to proceed for throttle body cleaning and fuel injection cleaning. Shame on me for not knowing any better at that point and approving that work for $$$. I just didn't have the time to research and mess with my car like I did when I was younger without family. This is my main vehicle for work, so I just needed to make sure it was running.

5. Jul 12, 2024 at 11:54 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    And that’s how they deceive. They know people are busy and don’t have time to question everything. They are taking advantage of your trust. Some of those writers know what they are doing. In fact, some are so good they can rob you blind and leave you feeling like they did you a favor.

My problem is that I get so disappointed when I’ve caught them in a lie, and I get so angry when they start to spin information to cover up their lies, that I can no longer “interact in an emotionally appropriate manner” lol. That’s because I went in with an attitude of trust.

It’s much better to view those writers as what they are. A group of individuals with some good guys, and plenty willing to deceive customers as far as they think they can get away with it. Nobody wants to go to court or answer to toyota, not even them. Apparently that’s what everyone needs to be ready for when claiming warranty.

Saker likes this.
  6. Jul 12, 2024 at 11:58 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    Unnecessary cleaning is a done deal, you will never prove that it was not needed. Focus on warranty work they are trying to deny. You need diagnosis first, and that dealer won't provide you with one. Get that done first, get it documented. Pay for that.

After that ask to speak to the service manage, be very polite and state that they already completed unnecessary maintenance and now it is time to take this issue seriously. Tell them that if they attempt to void your warranty or anything else other than fix the issue, you will escalate to Toyota Corporate. Don't tell them about diagnosis you have and get everything in writing. Let them dig a hole by inventing issues. Then send all the paperwork to Toyota Corporate and ask them to resolve this issue.

Last but not least, is there a chance they could be right? Did you look at the air intake filter? Are there big gaping holes (or K&N) anywhere before throttle body?

LetsTacoboutit likes this.
  7. Jul 12, 2024 at 12:19 PM
    soze

soze [OP] Tiny Trucker

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 MG TRD ORP
    Bone Stock
    No, I have the stock filter. Here's a picture from the same visit as the throttle body picture. It's dirty, but I've seen much worse before in other cars.

[​IMG]

Sin4R[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top