1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Might be new soon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hyrule_trd, Sep 1, 2023.

1. Sep 7, 2023 at 12:10 PM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    Groceries: Limited

Actually using it offroad: Pro

Hyrule_trd[OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 7, 2023 at 12:14 PM
    Hyrule_trd

Hyrule_trd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    Ironman Foam Cell Pro, MESO stuff, other things I can’t remember
    Definitely will. I didn’t pull it up on the mobile site just a quick look. Trying to compare the different models on a phone sucks.

The difference in price between an ORP and Pro could get me, I mean her Kings or used take off pro suspension, wheels tires and a roof rack.

There is a chance we could use it off road but I also have my Tacoma for that. Also a chance to go to camping in Canada next summer so we’d take the T4R if we have one.

3. Sep 7, 2023 at 12:17 PM
    tundy

tundy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Pro
    Pro doesn’t have KDSS. But it does have the softest ride.

4. Sep 7, 2023 at 12:21 PM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    Yeah, no idea why I thought it came standard with the pro/suspension.

I’ve not seen anyone talk about it or it listed anywhere, but the new T4R Pros don’t come with the fancy new UCAs, do they?

5. Sep 7, 2023 at 12:28 PM
    San Angelo

San Angelo New Member

Member:
    4Runner will keep its value when compared to a Grand Highlander if that is a concern.

The limited will get you an auto 4WD System that works great in bad weather. You just get in and drive. The Pro is just a TRD off-road with some cosmetics along with the Fox shocks for the most part.

The limited also has different font and rear bumpers and rocker panels that can make it look more like a on road vehicle (i.e. lower and leas approach angle) vs an off-road vehicle.

You would need to drive both to understand the ride difference with the limited xreas vs the Pro fox shocks.

6. Sep 7, 2023 at 12:36 PM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    Thanks for that. It’s tough trying to find something my wife is happy with since it will be her car. She’s not overly impressed with anything but I think she likes the T4R the most. Well, without test driving anything. She does not want to do that either, and all questions are, it doesn’t matter. Besides getting a 23 year. She will hold out for a ‘24 designation.

7. Sep 7, 2023 at 12:37 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    My wife prefers 4R for the ride height, as she is 5’ 0.5” tall. She had a 2001, and a 1988 5-speed before that. Loved them both. I currently have a 2019 TRDOR, and would love to get her a Limited one day.

8. Sep 7, 2023 at 1:03 PM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    I think that’s why my wife likes the 4R too. We looked at an Acadia and she didn’t like that it was so low.

Daddykool[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 7, 2023 at 1:11 PM
    San Angelo

San Angelo New Member

Member:

Well if she won’t test drive them or won’t say what she wants get the cheapest to buy and operate.

10. Sep 7, 2023 at 1:38 PM
    djwantke

djwantke New Member

Member:
    Maple Ridge, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bought brand new 2016 After May 2021: -Approx 3" lift/level: Bilstein 5100's, OME 2884 590lb 3" front lift springs, SPC UCA's, ICON 158506 2" lift rear coils, diff drop -Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ LT285/70R17 Load E -Mickey Thompson Sidebiter ll 17x9, 0 offset, 5 backspace -Pro Comp black spline lugs ^installed by 4WheelParts^ -New brakes and rotors by brake shop -4-piece ARB skid kit -Smittybilt 2" nerf steps -MBRP black exhaust tip, chopped OEM -Drivers side OEM FJ oh shit handle -All blacked out emblems -Blacked out roof rails -4x WeatherTech window rain guards -OEM custom rear mud flap deletes -KICK BACK MUD FLAPS 12" WIDE - BLACK TOP AND BLACK WEIGHT -FRAM EXTRA GUARD CA10835 engine air filter -1797 LED tricolor fog bulbs Yellow 3000K White 6000K Blue 15000K 28W 4000LM -Armour paint lower rear bumper -Front bumper high stage high clearance cut -Fenders cut straight across, pink reservoir sprayed black -4Runner Lifestyle sequential fog fangs -4Runner Lifestyle smoked taillight decals -Pedal Commander -Rear passenger cargo mounted 120v truck tire pump -4x Spidertrax 1.25" black aluminum wheel spacers -Yota Twins Paracord Hatch Strap sand camo -Teton Workshop hard anodized matte black aluminum shift knob -Ditch flood lights 4 LED 20w 1400lm w/ OEM hood mounts on OEM style dash switch -Backup flood lights under bumper 6 LED 18w 1500lm on OEM style dash switch -Body Mount Chop; cut, weld, paint -Fender mount chop, re-weld, paint -Fender Liner cut behind wheel (I cut liner in front of wheel clean off at top of viper cut) -Wheel well firewall hammering, painting ^done by Arc One Industries^ -valance cap trim -Agency6 Black Shackle Block 2" US Certified 6061 T6 CNC machined aluminum -DRT fab universal hitch skid -ACDelco inner tie rods, outer tie rods, bellows -Full Dr. KDSS switch kit -March 31 Behind grille 13-1/4" 32 LED light bar + wide-angle, eagle-eye lens 6000lm on OEM style dash switch -RAA Powder coated steel roof rack cargo basket, 1" side rails, 64" x 39" x 6", 250lb limit -roof gas can, water can, shovel -PEAKTOW PTT0063 Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier 51-1/2 x 17-1/2 x 4 inches 500 lbs. Capacity (trips only) -July/2023: purchased first needed SPC balljoint replacement kit - newly released, upgraded non-zerk sealed joints 25002 -July 15/2023: The Original Universal EZ Flares, 1". All four corners -Dec. 2023: removed bumper cover and crash bar, drilled frame, installed Apex Overland KDSS Recovery Points -Jan. 2024: SPC balljoint replacement kit - upgraded non-zerk sealed joint design 25002 -Feb. 3/ 2024: 4x KC Wire Hiders, for roof rack lighting Feb. 13/2024: New ditch lights, on new Rago Fabrication Extension brackets. 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Replacing 3inch EVERGEAR clear lens ditch light pods w/ yellow lamix-x In progress: 4th, 5th, and 6th set of off road lights Electrical components and wiring purchased, not started -roof rack scene lighting - EVERGEAR ea. 1,350 lumens, 30w, 3-¾" round floods. Custom, side mounted w/ galvanized flat bar And -roof rack upper ditch lights - 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to front corners And -roof rack reverse amber pods / secondary hazard lights. 20W 2000Lm 2-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to rear side And -roof rack F1 smoked chase light w/ lighting effects. Custom bolted to rear side -POR15 rust proofing line-up, 3-step process PAUSED until 70⁰ weather Bought, in the garage queue: -BlueFire 6-Circuit Fuse Block with LED Indicator & Protection Cover -Blue Sea Systems 100A Circuit Breaker w/ reset lever -Rust prevention •New can POR15, 2x Black Fluid Film, long spray nozzle attachments, 2x PB Surface Shield, 1x Chainwax •partially used POR15 Degreaser, Metal Prep Wanted - PerryParts or Wheelers bump stops, self fabricated limb risers (seasonal, removable), 1" body lift, powder coated center winch bumper w/ large bar (got no tss), rear steel bumper w/ tire carrier for an LT285 Kumho on steely, sliders, bolt on cat shields
    I'm a big fan of the Off Road trims with KDSS, and with the addition of a Dr. KDSS disengage switch best of both worlds.
    As for UCA's I think they're bright red forged aluminum OEM

https://www.peterboulwaretoyota.com...m upper,plate for additional trail protection.

IMG_20230427_213148801.jpg

11. Sep 7, 2023 at 1:48 PM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    Thanks. That’s good to know there is a switch for that.

I’ve seen the pics of the Tacoma and Tundra forged UCAs but couldn’t find a picture of it. I wasn’t sure if they were just not on the 4R or now.

12. Sep 8, 2023 at 12:26 PM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    I just asked a new member that bought a new Pro and it does not have the red forged UCAs, so that’s a bummer.
    Well I replaced the ones on my truck myself, I can do it on the 4R if we get one… when and if it needs them.

13. Sep 8, 2023 at 3:19 PM
    stephbm6

stephbm6 New Member

Member:
    West Jordan, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro
    I traded my 22 SR5 4runner in on a 23 Pro and the Fox suspension is so nice!

14. Sep 8, 2023 at 4:48 PM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    So, what are the thoughts about a OR Premium with KDSS then just upgrading the suspension to Kings or buy someone’s take off Pro suspension rather than getting a Pro? (Besides my wife not wanting me to do anything to her 4R)

I think the only real thing I’d be missing is the sound system, which if it’s similar to the Tacoma it’s meh for the upgraded system.
    I can get the pano camera, leather type seats and think it has dual zone.

Anything else I’m missing while I look on the computer?

Edit- Nevermind, only the pro has the dual zone a/c. She won’t budge on that… Pro it is!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  15. Sep 9, 2023 at 8:06 AM
    djwantke

djwantke New Member

Member:
    Maple Ridge, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bought brand new 2016 After May 2021: -Approx 3" lift/level: Bilstein 5100's, OME 2884 590lb 3" front lift springs, SPC UCA's, ICON 158506 2" lift rear coils, diff drop -Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ LT285/70R17 Load E -Mickey Thompson Sidebiter ll 17x9, 0 offset, 5 backspace -Pro Comp black spline lugs ^installed by 4WheelParts^ -New brakes and rotors by brake shop -4-piece ARB skid kit -Smittybilt 2" nerf steps -MBRP black exhaust tip, chopped OEM -Drivers side OEM FJ oh shit handle -All blacked out emblems -Blacked out roof rails -4x WeatherTech window rain guards -OEM custom rear mud flap deletes -KICK BACK MUD FLAPS 12" WIDE - BLACK TOP AND BLACK WEIGHT -FRAM EXTRA GUARD CA10835 engine air filter -1797 LED tricolor fog bulbs Yellow 3000K White 6000K Blue 15000K 28W 4000LM -Armour paint lower rear bumper -Front bumper high stage high clearance cut -Fenders cut straight across, pink reservoir sprayed black -4Runner Lifestyle sequential fog fangs -4Runner Lifestyle smoked taillight decals -Pedal Commander -Rear passenger cargo mounted 120v truck tire pump -4x Spidertrax 1.25" black aluminum wheel spacers -Yota Twins Paracord Hatch Strap sand camo -Teton Workshop hard anodized matte black aluminum shift knob -Ditch flood lights 4 LED 20w 1400lm w/ OEM hood mounts on OEM style dash switch -Backup flood lights under bumper 6 LED 18w 1500lm on OEM style dash switch -Body Mount Chop; cut, weld, paint -Fender mount chop, re-weld, paint -Fender Liner cut behind wheel (I cut liner in front of wheel clean off at top of viper cut) -Wheel well firewall hammering, painting ^done by Arc One Industries^ -valance cap trim -Agency6 Black Shackle Block 2" US Certified 6061 T6 CNC machined aluminum -DRT fab universal hitch skid -ACDelco inner tie rods, outer tie rods, bellows -Full Dr. KDSS switch kit -March 31 Behind grille 13-1/4" 32 LED light bar + wide-angle, eagle-eye lens 6000lm on OEM style dash switch -RAA Powder coated steel roof rack cargo basket, 1" side rails, 64" x 39" x 6", 250lb limit -roof gas can, water can, shovel -PEAKTOW PTT0063 Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier 51-1/2 x 17-1/2 x 4 inches 500 lbs. Capacity (trips only) -July/2023: purchased first needed SPC balljoint replacement kit - newly released, upgraded non-zerk sealed joints 25002 -July 15/2023: The Original Universal EZ Flares, 1". All four corners -Dec. 2023: removed bumper cover and crash bar, drilled frame, installed Apex Overland KDSS Recovery Points -Jan. 2024: SPC balljoint replacement kit - upgraded non-zerk sealed joint design 25002 -Feb. 3/ 2024: 4x KC Wire Hiders, for roof rack lighting Feb. 13/2024: New ditch lights, on new Rago Fabrication Extension brackets. 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Replacing 3inch EVERGEAR clear lens ditch light pods w/ yellow lamix-x In progress: 4th, 5th, and 6th set of off road lights Electrical components and wiring purchased, not started -roof rack scene lighting - EVERGEAR ea. 1,350 lumens, 30w, 3-¾" round floods. Custom, side mounted w/ galvanized flat bar And -roof rack upper ditch lights - 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to front corners And -roof rack reverse amber pods / secondary hazard lights. 20W 2000Lm 2-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to rear side And -roof rack F1 smoked chase light w/ lighting effects. Custom bolted to rear side -POR15 rust proofing line-up, 3-step process PAUSED until 70⁰ weather Bought, in the garage queue: -BlueFire 6-Circuit Fuse Block with LED Indicator & Protection Cover -Blue Sea Systems 100A Circuit Breaker w/ reset lever -Rust prevention •New can POR15, 2x Black Fluid Film, long spray nozzle attachments, 2x PB Surface Shield, 1x Chainwax •partially used POR15 Degreaser, Metal Prep Wanted - PerryParts or Wheelers bump stops, self fabricated limb risers (seasonal, removable), 1" body lift, powder coated center winch bumper w/ large bar (got no tss), rear steel bumper w/ tire carrier for an LT285 Kumho on steely, sliders, bolt on cat shields
    I mean I don't even know what dual zone AC is, and seems like a feature that at least for men wouldn't be a decider on a vehicle. But listening to your dear wife can always prove to be the smartest decision.
    So me, and a lot of folks on here highly recommend OffRoad with KDSS, then go from there with your own suspension lift (>3"), your own mods with the brand's you want. Slapping Kings on is a great idear, or Fox's from a Pro also nice option. Or a few bucks cheaper and many like Dobinson's, Bilstein, OME, etc, or Elka (not cheap).
    The sound system is another big draw of the PRO, but again you can swap the lower trims speakers and head unit out.
    If I could do it over again, I'd go with many OP recommendations and buy an SR5 and build up from there, it has the least restrictions and most flexible mod options. When you buy the PRO, you pay a lot, no KDSS and no Limited XREAS/Fulltime 4WD; with the ability to upgrade to shock absorbers of your choice for even more comfort. You just get what you get.
    Goodluck!

16. Sep 9, 2023 at 8:46 AM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    Thanks, if it was me, I’d get the ORP with KDSS. Maybe the 24 year they will add the dual climate and heated/vented seats to lower trims. For now, just gotta do what my wife wants since it’ll be hers. i present all the info, she says what she wants or does not and I go from there.

She might not want me to do any mods at all either… :bananadead:

17. Dec 28, 2023 at 2:50 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Get her the grand highlander. Awd is hugely beneficial. 4Runner has much poorer crash ratings. 4R has no power lift gate option.

Hyrule_trd[OP] and 2016Pro like this.
  18. Dec 28, 2023 at 7:34 AM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    That’s the plan. We went and test drove one a few weeks ago and my wife also sat in a 4R and didn’t like it. We put a deposit on a grand Highlander and hopefully it’ll be in sometime in Feb.

I can lift the GH about 2” and put some nice all terrains on it as well!

IMG_9540.jpg

19. Dec 28, 2023 at 8:07 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Are viewing the vehicle as a primary family mover? If so, Are you prioritizing convenience & vehicle safety over absolute potential for reliability and simplicity?

probably not. Neither am I for the purpose of my 4R

20. Dec 28, 2023 at 8:15 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    solid plan.. the 4R in its current incarnation is strictly an enthusiast’s vehicle. For a full time, pedestrian family hauler, it’s almost a malpractice to opt for the 4R, for its relatively poor safety ratings alone.

21. Dec 28, 2023 at 8:25 AM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    We liked the comforts and safety of the GH over the 4R. We had considered waiting till the remodel but decided to get the GH now.

The liftgate was one feature my wife really wanted too.
    I liked on the 4R the back sliding window…

22. May 20, 2024 at 8:46 AM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    Visiting here again!

In February my wife picked up a Grand Highlander and it’s been great so far. Lots of nice features and made me jealous.

Now on to me, I’m looking to change from my 2020 Tacoma Off Road to either a 2024/25 Tacoma (limited or Higher), a 2024 4R Pro or 2025 4R.

I’ve got to start going to the office more often now, so 1-2days or more a week with a 70 mile each way or more commute. The Tacoma is great but not really comfortable. After discussing with my wife, and with really great trade in value, it might be a good time to upgrade.

for the 4th and 6th gen’s, I’d be looking for the newer tech, comfort, heads up display (hence the limited and above in the Tacoma) and other goodies. I can get by with either a Tacoma or 4R. Not having a bed isn’t a deal breaker.

just gotta wait till there are 2025 4R to test drive.

23. May 20, 2024 at 10:21 AM
    2016Pro

Member:
    The 4runner is a very reliable vehicle with good offeoad capabilities. It is a poor choice for a commuter vehicle

24. May 20, 2024 at 10:26 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    True.. but not everyone has the luxury of multiple vehicles and have one optimized for commute.

25. May 20, 2024 at 10:33 AM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    Well, that’s unfortunate lol. I thought the 2024 Tacoma felt comfortable for the test drive, but of course that was only 20 min. I’ll need to see if they’ll let me take it for a much longer drive to really know.

26. May 20, 2024 at 10:34 AM
    2016Pro

Member:
    Do you go offroad? That answers the question. If not get a car.

27. May 20, 2024 at 12:12 PM
    Hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    Occasionally, including beach driving for fishing. A truck or an suv that I can also use for home projects, moving things and all is still a given. Some of the things I need for work would not really fit most cars.

I’ve considered getting a beater for the commute only, but having 3 vehicles isn’t going to work.

Products Discussed in

To Top