1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Magnuson Supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Bend_4R, Aug 20, 2024.

1. Sep 8, 2024 at 10:36 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    A bit of passing power.....are you paid by Big Portal?

A bit of passing power.......

Everyone who's gone super charged raves about the power. Almost all driving is on pavement so....that's kinda where you're going to see the benefit.

Virtually all dirt trails can be done with a stock 4runner.

All that said, portals would be very cool.

2. Sep 8, 2024 at 10:47 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Regear to 4.88 first(Cost me $1,700), you will be surprised. After I saw Car Care Nut tear a 200 series that blew a motor, I kinda lost confidence in Toyota motors. I wouldn't recommend supercharging your 4.0

Bend_4R[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 9, 2024 at 10:53 AM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    Interesting breakdown. I am not considering portals or a supercharger, but if I wanted to make an uber-capable 4Runner for off-road, I suppose portals could be a consideration. My 4Runner is more than capable as-is for my needs. If I really wanted an off-road beast, I would buy something older and less expensive to throw money at and make it off-road optimized. I wouldn't alter my brand-new 4R with leather seats and ceramic coating on the paint—something with some rust that I wouldn't mind scratching up and pushing to its limit. My 4R is my daily driver, and I need to show up looking somewhat put together in my job. The objective is to keep my 4R subtle, yet capable for snow and some Forest Service Roads, and off-grid properties.

4. Sep 9, 2024 at 10:57 AM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    After spending some time pressing my foot deeper into the skinny pedal, I have concluded that my 4Runner is just fine as it is. I don't feel any need to regear, and I have driven in enough varied terrain to have a solid benchmark for what I have. If I need more speed, I have two-wheeled machines that will accomplish the task better than a 4Runner with any modification ever could.

5. Sep 9, 2024 at 12:58 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    You could show up to work looking like this.......well put together for battle!

Feature_Friday_Lights_6.jpg

6. Sep 9, 2024 at 3:00 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    Holy smokes! That thing is a beast!

7. Sep 9, 2024 at 9:47 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Well, if you really want an off-road toy, you'd buy a Jeep with the 35" tire package.

Portals are just a faster way to get ground and larger tire clearance than 99% of the suspension dollars that people throw at their 4Runners. You'd still need improved shocks and springs, just not for ground and larger tire clearance.

8. Sep 9, 2024 at 9:49 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Yeah, I get paid by the portal companies. Yuge money in that.

Virtually all dirt roads can be done by a stock anything. The extra ground clearance is just a nice luxury for that one time, crossing through that jungle in Ecuador, that you needed it. Or, if you just like an off-road toy to try your luck on the Rubicon trail.

9. Sep 9, 2024 at 10:36 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    I respect you for admitting that.

nonuniform[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 10, 2024 at 2:34 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Thacrow and ChessGuy like this.
  11. Sep 10, 2024 at 9:16 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    This one is probably one of the best videos out there explaining this engine and how it was specified and build. Clinical in the way he explains it and shows his knowledge. I have watched this 5 times and it never gets old. The gent deserves a medal IMO.

12. Sep 10, 2024 at 2:10 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    35s are boring now. Jeep dealers can mount 37s for you without affecting your warranty. 4.88 from factory is just for that purpose. Lil 2 doors can come with 4.88 and 4:1 from factory

Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
  13. Sep 12, 2024 at 10:21 AM
    Fu3lC3ll

Fu3lC3ll I.Am.Limited

Member:
    First Name:
    Cris
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2024 Limited Wind Chill Pearl
    Out of curiosity, I got a quote from the nearest (95 miles) authorized Toyota Magnuson dealer/installer. Here is the cost breakdown.

4-6 weeks to order SC, $1000 deposit that goes towards the installation. Up to a week to do the install. Rental car provided at no charge.

Supercharger $7,395
    Freight $275 for the supercharger
    $150 for coolant and extra gaskets that are needed
    Tuning $1,000. The tuning is the programing of the software of the supercharger to the vehicle ECU.
    Labor for install $2,000

All out the door price $10,820.

14. Sep 12, 2024 at 11:08 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    That's amazing that a rental car is provided.

To Top