1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I failed, what to blame?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by The last breed, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:04 PM
    EffinNewGuy

EffinNewGuy Completely clueless

Member:
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    Absolutely nothing
    LOL

I’m glad someone enjoys my Uber sarcastic dry sense of humor.

Full disclosure - when I bought my 4Runner and first read about “overlanding” I too wanted all the stuff. Then I realized I’d be spending more on outfitting my ride than actually ever using it to get out with my little one (the rest of the family doesn’t like camping). Plus it’s just so damned expensive. I’d rather just get out and enjoy the memories in real time.

2. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:10 PM
    The last breed

The last breed [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Dying to get my hands on a 4Runner
    Looking at that now I realize I was scared over nothing. I had enough ground clearance apparently. I should have backed up and then went ahead with full momentum(Locker and A-Trac engaged). I would have hurt my ass but so what!! I have got a scratched ass already :D

Screenshot_20211102-210529_Chrome.jpg

3. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:19 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Prob could of crawled at a different angle. Maybe a spotter will chime in. Try again when it’s dry?

My sandrail would jump it!

The last breed[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:20 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Dry in Washington state? :rofl:
    Let's wait till May 2022 then :)

5. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:22 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    I am addicted to this, can't fall asleep :D Can't wait for the weekend

McSpazatron likes this.
  6. Nov 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    What a great feeling huh?

By the way, no way you would have made it over that rock without tearing something off.

7. Nov 3, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, great feeling, I will give it another go with another angle :D
    This is a trail that IMO is beyond the capabilities of crossovers like Rav4s and Subarus, even if you lift them. Hard to make that if you lack articulation and a real transfer case. Once two wheels are in the air, it is over.

8. Nov 4, 2021 at 7:49 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    That's more of an annoyance than anything else. It's not like it left him stranded anywhere and he couldn't get out. I get what you're saying though.

And great to see you really getting after it in your 4R! I have had mine going on 3 years and have still not had the opportunity to hit terrain like that. I definitely live in the wrong part of the country.

9. Nov 4, 2021 at 10:28 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    @Trail Runnah where in the country do you live? Do you have national forest? If so your state or a neighboring state may have more off road exploration opportunities than you know of!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  10. Nov 5, 2021 at 3:42 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I'm in Rhode Island. There are some State Forests here, but they're all graded dirt roads that you could do in pretty much any vehicle.

The guys in the Jeep Club have some access to some trails on private land, but they're the gnarly kind of trails that would probably destroy a 4Runner.

There are some class five and six roads up north in Vermont and New Hampshire that are probably more challenging, I just haven't had the time to go up and explore them yet. Usually when I'm up there it's because of mountain biking or something like that.

11. Nov 5, 2021 at 3:44 AM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    I love that Italian American Judge that you guys have in Rhode Island, great man

12. Nov 5, 2021 at 5:09 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Get some armor and you'll be fine. Aside from having IFS, a 4runner is just as stout as a Wrangler. We just have less clearance.

Or, are these like hardcore trails, where even a Wrangler needs to be lifted and on 37+" tires?

13. Nov 5, 2021 at 2:58 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Nah, I'm actually NOT talking smack about the 4Runner, haha. This is buggy type stuff, or the a 37 + very modded Wranglers with no fear of body damage.

I bought my skids off a guy who traded in his 4Runner, because he was building a buggy to get into this type of Wheeling. He said he was wheeling with buggy guys, and while his 4R could get into places it really had no business being, he didn't want to destroy it in the process.

I realize scratches are inevitable, but I'm just not okay with body damage on on my vehicle.

Here's a shot I grabbed off FB from an event the club ran last month.

Screenshot_20211105-085954_Facebook.jpg

14. Nov 5, 2021 at 4:20 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Damn! That's some nasty looking stuff!

I totally agree. I'm comfortable with the trail rash that I accumulate, but not interested in smashing my body up. I'd buy an old beater for that.

:cheers:

15. Nov 8, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.

Part of the fun of off-roading is getting stuck and using your recovery gear.

Which is something you need to start investing in.

1. You need to have a tire plug kit, air compressor, and air down tool.

This is especially true if you're going to stick with those crappy stock highway tires. Looking at your terrain in those pics, those rocks will easily cut a side wall or puncture a tire.

Airing down tires, even with those shitty stock tires, gives you puncture protection:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kz8mmLkeks

I air my tires down to 20psi. This improves the ride of my 4Runner going over rocky terrain plus increases the tire protection. I use this tool:
    https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-00032-Air-Down-Gauge/dp/B000FPXS04
    It's not as fast as an Arb style tool that pulls out the valve stem. But it works for me.

Two weekends ago I was on a trail ride where we changed 2 tires on the same vehicle, a 4th gen 4Runner. Thankfully we had multiple vehicles on this trail ride that had matching size tires and rims.

A previous trail ride earlier on in the summer I plugged a side wall with about 4 plugs to get one of our group going in her 5th gen 4Runner. She made it home (4 hours away) at got the tire replaced the following day.

Plugged Tire.jpg

If you are going to air down, you need to be able to air back up. Cheap air compressors that plug into your cigarette lighter take forever to fill tires. I have a Viair 300P ($200 ish) and it's fast.
    https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-30033-300P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X90YUO

Friends of mine have the Viair 88P and it's ok.
    https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B005ASY23I/

2. You need a rear hitch shackle. This is a rear recovery point. If you get stuck a vehicle passing by can use this to pull you out. This plus a recovery strap will allow you to help stuck / disabled vehicles on the trail. Look on Amazon. Factor 55 is expensive but made in the USA. I have a Rhino USA (made in China) hitch shackle. I've used it multiple times to pull vehicles over obstacles, pull downed trees off the road, etc etc.

Rear Shackle.jpg
    https://www.rhinousainc.com/products/shackle-hitch-receiver
    I have a locking hitch pin and leave my rear shackle on 24/7/365.

3. Vehicle recovery strap. I have two. A 30ft Rhino USA recovery strap:
    https://www.rhinousainc.com/collect...oducts/recovery-tow-strap?variant=40289781005
    And a kinetic recovery rope. You should already being watching Matt's Off Road Recovery on youtube. If you're not, you're missing out:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/MattsOffRoadRecovery
    As mentioned recovery ropes / straps allow another vehicle to pull you out safely and you to pull out other vehicles.

4. Traction Boards - this is a self recovery item that could help prevent an expensive tow or a long wait in the woods. I have cheapie chinese set from ebay $52:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/265321641140

and a more expensive set from US Action Trax:
    https://usactiontrax.com/

Maxtrax are probably the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o15xg6VjTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzPj0k14jJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovd-BxLSPo4

We use a set of cheap traction boards Saturday on my buddy's Jeep XJ Cherokee. He was doing something stupid and didn't want to commit / send it. Traction boards + 3 guys pushing him got him out.

I would say the above (plus food & water) is the minimum you should have with you to go off road by yourself.

I carry additional recovery gear - Shovel, Chainsaw, Winch, Snatch Block, Block of wood for my factory jack, Jack Extensions, Tree saver, soft and hard shackles. I have used everything but the shovel on weekly off road trips.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Nov 8, 2021 at 6:06 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Totally agree! I have actually gotten stuck more since I added the winch, lift, skids and tires because I'm challenging myself more. And, because I know that I can recover myself as needed.

Recovery gear is cheap insurance when you end up needing it. It's some of the best money I've spent.

To Top