1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First fake TRD Pro I have seen in the wild

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Trail Addict, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Sep 27, 2023 at 9:43 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Same.

I've also talked to people at gas stations and parking lots about 4Runners. I'm definitely not accustomed to random people asking about my vehicle. Usually, people are asking someone I'm with about their vehicle. It's a nice change of pace!

2. Sep 27, 2023 at 11:18 AM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    Just had a guy walk up a few days ago and ask about my pro. He just ordered one in the same color. He said they are impossible to find in stock.

He's coming from a v8 grand cherokee, I told him the 4runner was slow as a dog! Lol

3. Sep 27, 2023 at 1:47 PM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
  4. Sep 28, 2023 at 2:18 AM
    Matt83

Matt83 New Member

Member:
    Northeast
    No they are not. I do not even recognize the new M cars on the road. My first car I purchased was an E30 M3 for $7000. The price for them now is quite off the charts, oh well.

TheGreekFreak[QUOTED] and MTBVRF like this.
  5. Sep 29, 2023 at 6:37 AM
    MusashiSushi

MusashiSushi New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner SR5 Premium Black/Black
    Elka 2.5 DC 3" lift, SPC UCA's, Toytech rear springs, ARB Diff Breather, RSG Rock Sliders & front Skid. C4 front bumper with High Clearance sides and Warn Winch.
    I don't have any issues with people modifying their runners, in fact I've gone the opposite direction and instead leer at the bone stock ones with no pinstriping from branches scraping down the sides while off roading. I call them stockers. LOL
    In case you're curious, my '23 will have been with me 9 months tomorrow on 9/30/23 and I've already done $20k worth of updates to it and it now has scratches running down the full length of both sides and I gave the underside of the rear bumper some nice gouges from coming off an obstacle a little too quickly last weekend.

Nubes likes this.
  6. Sep 29, 2023 at 8:37 AM
    like2lean

like2lean New Member

Member:
    I've actually been surprised at all the pro hate in the 4R community, so strange to see genuine disdain for a trim level! I don't see it in the Ford/raptor, Jeep/rubicon, Dodge/TRX forums. What people like, want and decide to buy shouldn't offend people with other tastes, and trashing like minded enthusiasts is just immature and short sighted. And the idea that you can build a SOOO much better a rig from a lesser trim is total nonsense. There's a hard ceiling on how capable any IFS truck can be, and it's nowhere near what a jeep can be or do. If you're looking for that level of capability you started with the wrong vehicle! I bought my pro fully knowing what it's limitations are, and so far I love it and it's a perfect fit for my needs and wants, so sorry if that doesn't sit well with you haters, NOT!! Go fu#K yourselves!!

semprenissart and Jackmahoffer like this.
  7. Sep 29, 2023 at 9:55 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    But, it's true. Every trim has the same potential, so why buy the most expensive one and then throw out all the stuff that you paid extra for? You're better off buying a lower trim and then using the saved money to add armor and other useful upgrades.

Aside from that, I agree with your post. I have zero hate for the PRO. If you're looking for the best trim to just buy and use as is, then the PRO is the best option, due to the suspension and tires.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
  8. Sep 29, 2023 at 12:36 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    I have no skin in this game because my opinion of someone else's tastes do not matter in the least.
    I think a little of the Pro hate came as a result of the early days of that trim and some of the members of t4r.org who owned them. There was some hate and condescension from both camps. Similarly as in this forum, people would question the reasoning of why you would buy such an expensive trim and not just mod an SR5. This would trigger the brand new Pro owners and then the fun began. There was an hysterically funny troll with the screen name "stifler" who spent the next couple years torturing pro owners. He got banned several times, but it's pretty funny how an internet troll can ruin someone's day.
    Why it transfered over here is anyone's guess.

It's the same thing with some of us and the disagreements over intakes, accelerator modifiers, premium gas, etc.

Some of us have nothing better to do I guess....

9. Sep 29, 2023 at 1:30 PM
    drholiday7

drholiday7 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner Trail Premium
    So, newbie to the forum here. I'm a 2 week owner now of a 2014 Trail Premium. Only has 61K miles. It like new. I love this ride! It's black and I plan on completely blacking it out. I really like the black TRD wheels that are available vs. the metallic gray that came with it. The 14' Trail Premium is basically the TRD before it got it's marketing moniker in 2017. It's plated, beefed suspension, Crawl Control, MTS, A-trac, Lock Diff, etc. I don't plan on badging it up, but if I put TRD wheels on it with it on the center cap, am I posing?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  10. Sep 29, 2023 at 2:01 PM
    Nubes

Nubes Toyota Addict

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    If you like a certain look make your rig your own and don't listen to naysayers. I put on the heritage grill because I think it looks better and think all 4Runners should have come that way, not because it was on the PRO.

11. Sep 29, 2023 at 2:24 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Like @Nubes said, do what you want and don't worry about others. There's nothing wrong with taking parts from a different trim.

like2lean and SlvrSlug like this.
  12. Sep 29, 2023 at 2:41 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    I agree with the above, nubes and James are spot on. Do what you like, it’s been the same for as long as i can remember. Fuck em ehh.

13. Sep 29, 2023 at 2:56 PM
    TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '23 SO TRD Pro, '21 BB Civic Type R
    For me, it’s just the coolest trim….besides price, there’s not much downside regardless of intended use imo. Have zero desire to mod beyond a few bolt on things and, similar to the FJ Cruiser trail teams, I love the full package it offers from the factory + unique to year color compared to same year non-Pro trims.

Not a value purchase unless you really value resale (which the TRD Pros have the highest). Ultimately, to each their own, but it’s exactly what someone like me values and I personally wouldn’t have bought a lower trim even if offered a better deal off msrp.

Yet I have and would continue to steer most potential buyers asking me for a recommendation to an ORP over a Pro because it’s a way better value for most.

14. Sep 29, 2023 at 4:21 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    You bought the PRO for the right reasons!

I do love the look of them. As you said, it's a trim to buy and use as-is. It will be sufficient for most people's off-roading needs right out of the box.

TheGreekFreak[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Sep 29, 2023 at 4:29 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    I did not buy the Pro grill to look Pro. I bought it to look a classic Toyota. So I am not guilty of faking.

20230929_121612.jpg 20230929_142809.jpg

like2lean, Thatbassguy and Nubes like this.
  16. Sep 29, 2023 at 8:27 PM
    like2lean

like2lean New Member

Member:
    Totally agree and that's my point, no one but a troll should give a sh#t what anyone else likes, owns, does, or buys unless it directly affects them. You be you, I'll be me. If something I do affects you then pile on, if not go find something else to do to fill your empty hours. As for modding the pro, buying and building another trim makes perfect sense if that's your plan, for me I didn't plan to replace everything. I just added; a small lift, slidders, skid, tint and tires (upgrade) and I'm good. It'll do all I want and I'm happy. If I had wanted more than this I'd have got another rubicon, but this thing is way more comfortable!

17. Sep 30, 2023 at 3:09 AM
    deltabravo

deltabravo Livin’ the dumpster life

Member:
    East Coast USA
    I de-badged my SR5, threw on the heritage grill, Trd skid plate, and have the matte black alloy wheels on order that came on the TRD pro up until recently.

it’s not a TRD Pro, I doubt anyone will ever ask. And anyone who knows 4Runners will notice it’s not a pro given the lack of hood scoop, type of factory roof rack and lack of front and rear blacked out valence.

18. Sep 30, 2023 at 7:33 AM
    Mickeyblue

Mickeyblue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    No one here has to prove anything about their right to own the truck they want and add/remove whatever they want. Some people paid a lot for their truck, some people didn’t. That’s not the final word on someone being worthy to own an off-road vehicle.

Many of us could afford the Pro but chose another trim for our own reasons. Many bought something else because they couldn’t afford the Pro, but want that look. I say go for it, and be happy.

Unless someone is going to pay my truck payment for me, I’ll do what I want, and I can’t hear you because my radio’s too loud. (Yes, my stock radio)

Nubes and Thatbassguy like this.
  19. Sep 30, 2023 at 9:54 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Yeah, I'm just referring to off-road use.

A lot of people don't need 360° cameras and dual climate control. If you're choosing a Limited or PRO for those things, then you've made the right choice.

20. Sep 30, 2023 at 10:39 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    They make plug and play front bumper cameras and "back up camera anytime" kits every day.

21. Sep 30, 2023 at 1:19 PM
    TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    I will say, Toyota should have equipped the Pros with a supercharger (even a small conservative one that doesn’t compromise the 4.0L’s reliability). Throw back to the optional one on the 3rd gen. Would have further separated it in the lineup.

Seems like they’re doing that with the hybrid iForceMax powertrains on the new trucks to elevate them over the lower trims. Too bad those over complicated powertrains won’t last a decade let alone 20+ years like the older trucks.

semprenissart likes this.
  22. Sep 30, 2023 at 1:46 PM
    semprenissart

semprenissart Mèfi

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Pro (MGM)
    Westcott Sliders. Gobi no rise
    Although I really like the fox suspensions from the Pro (and they are more than enough for me), I could have easily got a ORP and put even better suspensions like a lot of ORP owners do.
    One big reason I got the pro over the ORP was the interior features that cannot be upgraded with aftermarket mods. (i.e. auto headlights, dual AC)

Obviously I also liked the look of the Pro and if I got an ORP I would have spent a bunch of extra money for the wheels, heritage grille, black out emblems, etc...
    Tires are similar to suspensions. While not the best, it does the job for now and once its time to replace them, I will get better tires. I just didnt want to buy a brand new car and change everything right away, and with the Pro I can keep almost everything the way it is for the first 60k-100k miles.

The only thing that I had to absolutely sell and replace was the roof rack. I got around $500-600 for it (if I recall correctly) and installed a Gobi instead.

But the ONE thing I HAD to remove is the stupid PRO badge. Any other badge, I would have kept but the word PRO is plain stupid in my opinion. I wish they called it "trail", or "off road", or just "TRD", or any other name other than PRO.

To be fair, it's not exactly the same because MTM also uses the cameras in the side mirrors to give an "eagle eye" view.

23. Sep 30, 2023 at 2:43 PM
    TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    Congratulations…..you now own a TRD Amateur :D

24. Sep 30, 2023 at 3:08 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Do you think cameras add off-road capability?

Either way, I think we got off track of my original point. I believe the lower trims are better for heavy modification because you end up replacing almost everything that makes the PRO the PRO.

That's really what I meant. Sorry if I'm being too argumentative.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
  25. Sep 30, 2023 at 3:09 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    And this is another good reason to buy a PRO.

26. Sep 30, 2023 at 3:14 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I consider mine a TRD novice. :D

27. Oct 1, 2023 at 6:37 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Really? You don't think they will last 10 years?

Wanna bet?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  28. Oct 1, 2023 at 7:21 AM
    TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    Without at least one massively expensive repair related to the powertrain or electrical system? Yes. Meanwhile, my 23 year old 4runner is on the original engine, trans, diff. etc and runs just fine, which isn’t unusual. It wasn’t even that well maintained by the previous owner.

Wanna double down and bet the typical iForceMax truck never makes it to the second decade before heading to the junkyard? It’s a battle getting most of the public to stay on top of preventative maintenance on these simpler NA Toyota trucks, it will be fun to start seeing these newer turbo trucks being brought in without an oil change in 15K+ miles.

I’ll triple the bet that they depreciate like bricks approaching that 10 year mark, no different than most other hybrid piles, while these 5th gens continue to retain their value. Skinflint customers bitch about oil changes that cost over $30, how many do you think will be thrilled to replace a turbo or hybrid battery pack on a 10 year old vehicle versus dumping it for the next pile?

Toyota outcomes will always be a bit better but the trend is the same as other manufacturers: these newer trucks will be disposable appliances. When Toyota nails an EV platform (which they eventually will) with a reliable EV truck with some proven longevity, I’ll pick it up as a commuter and make the 5th gen my “classic” weekend cruiser SUV. Till then, as someone who keeps their cars a long time, I’ll pass on this current turbo/hybrid junk.

29. Oct 1, 2023 at 8:14 AM
    LetsTacoboutit

LetsTacoboutit New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adobe
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Pro - Rat Patrol Edition
    Added baby seat behind steering wheel
    How does one delete an annoying thread from this site, for chrissake?

30. Oct 1, 2023 at 8:23 AM
    Nubes

Nubes Toyota Addict

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Top right of the thread click "Unwatch Thread"

Thatbassguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top