1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First fake TRD Pro I have seen in the wild

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Trail Addict, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Sep 19, 2023 at 2:23 PM
    tundy

tundy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Pro
    Man I like those slick-top pros with the steelies! Too bad they can’t be ordered without the add-ons.

wolfman, Thatbassguy and hossler1788 like this.
  2. Sep 19, 2023 at 5:30 PM
    Nubes

Nubes Toyota Addict

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    I think they might be, when I put my VIN into KBB it says "TRD Off-Road Premium Sport Utility 4D" and I found a random PRO for sale and put the VIN in and it said "TRD Pro Sport Utility 4D"

Thatbassguy likes this.
  3. Sep 19, 2023 at 9:29 PM
    makritz

makritz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    As a (former) M3 owner, this also makes me chuckle. The only folks that will notice are the same bunch that know it's fake. Same mentality as up-badging non-M cars...but whatever helps them sleep at night. :)

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Sep 20, 2023 at 7:39 AM
    morfdq

morfdq New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Premium
    TRD Wheels, exhaust and skid plate
    Be proud about what you have. I have an SR5 and have heavily modified it. I love it because it was my vision of how i wanted it and that meets what my wife and i use it for.

5. Sep 20, 2023 at 1:56 PM
    Shanky

Shanky New Member

Member:
    Back in 2004, I debadged my e46 M3. I really liked how stealth it was. Back then, they only came with a straight 6 & 2 doors / 333 HP. But that was a fun car.

makritz[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 20, 2023 at 5:07 PM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    In my muscle car days, clones where a big deal an I hated it! Roadrunner emblems on a satellite, Shelby emblems on a mustang, yenko on camaros. I guess it meant something then.

Now on 4runners and tacomas, I don't see a reason to care. Maybe its my age, or maybe its the fact all 4runners share the same powertrain. Every toyota can put "trd" stickers on it because if your driving aggressively you are technically "racing". Lol I guess id only really care if I bought what was listed as a trd pro but was really a sr5(wouldn't happen)

ChessGuy likes this.
  7. Sep 23, 2023 at 10:23 AM
    Steve Berman

Steve Berman New Member

Member:
    yep. so common that when I met someone with a mustang bullitt, which I had never heard of at the time, I knew it was legit.

8. Sep 24, 2023 at 8:21 PM
    wolfman

wolfman New Member

Member:
    Its about finances. If they are more tight than someone thinks that way and throws on PRO parts later. If finances aren't as tight, they get the PRO and do what they want.

9. Sep 24, 2023 at 8:23 PM
    wolfman

wolfman New Member

Member:
    I remember someone posted that their friend works at the port and tried to get the steelies but that they are really stringent about disposing of them. They look good though

10. Sep 24, 2023 at 8:37 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    It's not about finances at all.

Nobody upgrades to PRO parts for off-roading. They're better off starting with a lower trim and modifying it to suit their needs. Between the purchase price and mods, I still probably haven't hit the cost of a PRO. And, I would school a stock PRO off-road.

The only functional upgrade the PRO has (as far as off-road capability) is the suspension, which any serious off-roader will end up replacing.

As it says in the post you quoted; it doesn't make sense to pay extra for stuff you're going to replace anyway.

11. Sep 25, 2023 at 12:42 AM
    wolfman

wolfman New Member

Member:
    many people get a pro then do upgrades. Finances aren’t an issue or part of the equation. Others get a lower trim at a lower price and throw pro parts on it because they want the things that a pro has but not the price point of a pro is a factor for them. It’s rather simple. I’m talking about people who put pro parts on their runner. And the whole argument of “I’d school a pro” is childish and only rationalizing it to yourself and others doing the same thing.

Nine9Sixer likes this.
  12. Sep 25, 2023 at 9:39 AM
    wax poetic

wax poetic Raking like a mofo

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    OEM+ Trail Edition rims w/ Toyo AT3 in stock size / OEM Black Lug nuts OEM Heritage Grill OEM Black Valences (f + r) Westcott Sliders/Modular Roof Rack Roam 95L case DIY sleeping platform
    Not sure why anyone cares tbh. Unless you did buy a Pro that wasn't and I can't see that happening often and the buyer obviously wouldn't have done their due diligence if it did. My 4runner will have parts from multiple different trim models, not because I didn't have money for the Pro or the Limited or the ..., but because I like those features. It was called oem+ in some of the car circles back in the day, not sure it still is. Using parts from other trims or models in the manufacturer line up (such as the mirrors from the Rav4) or adding the heritage grill/valences from the Pro because it looks better (my opinion), the wheels from the Trail (I believe ... dark grey OR wheels), the black mirror look from whichever model that was from ... All of which I will be doing or have done.

I would have never started with the Pro though as I would have removed the more expensive parts that make it a Pro as I continue my build. It wouldn't have made any sense.

Do I think anyone should slap a Pro badge on a non pro, not really, but I don't care if they do either. Doesn't affect me either way.

13. Sep 25, 2023 at 10:13 AM
    dudenukem69

dudenukem69 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium
    Mickey, I'm new to the forum and noticed your post about putting a decal on the hood scoop to deal with the glare.... Would you mind sharing a pic or more info on what you used ?
    I'm a graphic designer and have access to tons of vinyl, and would love to solve the same problem I'm having here in Louisiana... Thanks In Advance !!

14. Sep 25, 2023 at 10:28 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    First off, you're the one who originally said it was about finances.

If you're talking about the people who buy a lower trim and then modify it to make it look like a pro, then I would agree with you.

But, The post you had quoted earlier was about modifying for off-roading purposes. In which case, it makes much more sense to start with a lower trim and choose your own upgrades.

There's nothing childish about pointing out my reasoning for starting with a lower trim. I'm not sure why that remark was even necessary. I'm just supporting the argument that you are better off buying a lower trim and modifying it yourself if you really want to do serious off-roading.

And, what do you think am I trying to rationalize, that others are doing? Choosing the right trim for my needs? I have not put any PRO parts on mine, nor do I plan on doing so. Every modification I've done on mine has been for personal preference, needs, and for off-roading purposes.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    brownersd, SlvrSlug and broken-giver like this.
  15. Sep 25, 2023 at 10:43 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    people actually want the pro skid plate and the ugly bucket roof rack? Huh, didn't know.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  16. Sep 25, 2023 at 10:45 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    Agree with this. I changed these because I liked it. I don't care for Pro and not trying to make my ORP a pro.

EC15 and Thatbassguy like this.
  17. Sep 25, 2023 at 10:45 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I see a lot of people "upgrading" to the PRO skid plate, strangely enough. I suppose it does look nicer than the standard skid plate. But, not really worth a damn if you're actually going to be playing in the rocks with any regularity.

The roof rack is confusing to me as well. I have heard a few people actually like it. I saw a thread where somebody had removed the top level of it, and it actually looked a lot more functional in that configuration.

18. Sep 25, 2023 at 12:18 PM
    Mickeyblue

Mickeyblue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    IMG_0378.jpg

Ordered on etsy

19. Sep 25, 2023 at 2:46 PM
    wolfman

wolfman New Member

Member:
    We are arguing the same thing. Pro parts on non Pros and trying to rationalize it. I like dudes who mod their rigs their own way, like you are saying about yours. My fault on the miscommunication.

20. Sep 25, 2023 at 2:47 PM
    wolfman

wolfman New Member

Member:
    Welcome to the forum. Any questions, feel free to DM someone.. else!

21. Sep 25, 2023 at 2:57 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Haha, gotcha.

Sometimes I misunderstand what people are trying to say on here.

wolfman[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Sep 26, 2023 at 11:47 AM
    TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '23 SO TRD Pro, '21 BB Civic Type R
    I never understood the point of this. But I also try to avoid fake badge debates with people….feel like it just becomes a dick measuring contest where the lower trim fake badge advocate tries to convince the higher trim real badge guy that he wasted his money on the real thing, a lower trim one with mods is way better, he only put it on because he likes the way the badge looks, etc etc.

Then the real badge guy pretends he’s Johnny CEO and tries to convince the other guy that only the poors buy lower trims….yuck. It’s a thing with Civic Si vs Type Rs too. Hell, the Germans fully embraced the fake badge marketing gimmick and just flat out make fake AMGs and M cars from the factory now lol.

But, like a fake Rolex, I do think faking anything to impress people is for fools. Even with the same powertrains and whatever, reality is that TRD Pros are always worth more $ than non-Pros for a few reasons (OEM equipped parts, limited colors, availability, etc). There are also people who can afford to buy Pros and mod them to oblivion too, so the badge flex (whether you think it’s deserved or not) is the only reason to slap one on.

But it’s their car, whatever makes them happy I guess. A cool Runner is a cool Runner to me regardless of badge :notsure: but others care more about comparison/status and less about the car itself.

brownersd and 2016Pro like this.
  23. Sep 26, 2023 at 12:12 PM
    djwantke

djwantke New Member

Member:
    Maple Ridge, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bought brand new 2016 After May 2021: -Approx 3" lift/level: Bilstein 5100's, OME 2884 590lb 3" front lift springs, SPC UCA's, ICON 158506 2" lift rear coils, diff drop -Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ LT285/70R17 Load E -Mickey Thompson Sidebiter ll 17x9, 0 offset, 5 backspace -Pro Comp black spline lugs ^installed by 4WheelParts^ -New brakes and rotors by brake shop -4-piece ARB skid kit -Smittybilt 2" nerf steps -MBRP black exhaust tip, chopped OEM -Drivers side OEM FJ oh shit handle -All blacked out emblems -Blacked out roof rails -4x WeatherTech window rain guards -OEM custom rear mud flap deletes -KICK BACK MUD FLAPS 12" WIDE - BLACK TOP AND BLACK WEIGHT -FRAM EXTRA GUARD CA10835 engine air filter -1797 LED tricolor fog bulbs Yellow 3000K White 6000K Blue 15000K 28W 4000LM -Armour paint lower rear bumper -Front bumper high stage high clearance cut -Fenders cut straight across, pink reservoir sprayed black -4Runner Lifestyle sequential fog fangs -4Runner Lifestyle smoked taillight decals -Pedal Commander -Rear passenger cargo mounted 120v truck tire pump -4x Spidertrax 1.25" black aluminum wheel spacers -Yota Twins Paracord Hatch Strap sand camo -Teton Workshop hard anodized matte black aluminum shift knob -Ditch flood lights 4 LED 20w 1400lm w/ OEM hood mounts on OEM style dash switch -Backup flood lights under bumper 6 LED 18w 1500lm on OEM style dash switch -Body Mount Chop; cut, weld, paint -Fender mount chop, re-weld, paint -Fender Liner cut behind wheel (I cut liner in front of wheel clean off at top of viper cut) -Wheel well firewall hammering, painting ^done by Arc One Industries^ -valance cap trim -Agency6 Black Shackle Block 2" US Certified 6061 T6 CNC machined aluminum -DRT fab universal hitch skid -ACDelco inner tie rods, outer tie rods, bellows -Full Dr. KDSS switch kit -March 31 Behind grille 13-1/4" 32 LED light bar + wide-angle, eagle-eye lens 6000lm on OEM style dash switch -RAA Powder coated steel roof rack cargo basket, 1" side rails, 64" x 39" x 6", 250lb limit -roof gas can, water can, shovel -PEAKTOW PTT0063 Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier 51-1/2 x 17-1/2 x 4 inches 500 lbs. Capacity (trips only) -July/2023: purchased first needed SPC balljoint replacement kit - newly released, upgraded non-zerk sealed joints 25002 -July 15/2023: The Original Universal EZ Flares, 1". All four corners -Dec. 2023: removed bumper cover and crash bar, drilled frame, installed Apex Overland KDSS Recovery Points -Jan. 2024: SPC balljoint replacement kit - upgraded non-zerk sealed joint design 25002 -Feb. 3/ 2024: 4x KC Wire Hiders, for roof rack lighting Feb. 13/2024: New ditch lights, on new Rago Fabrication Extension brackets. 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Replacing 3inch EVERGEAR clear lens ditch light pods w/ yellow lamix-x In progress: 4th, 5th, and 6th set of off road lights Electrical components and wiring purchased, not started -roof rack scene lighting - EVERGEAR ea. 1,350 lumens, 30w, 3-¾" round floods. Custom, side mounted w/ galvanized flat bar And -roof rack upper ditch lights - 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to front corners And -roof rack reverse amber pods / secondary hazard lights. 20W 2000Lm 2-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to rear side And -roof rack F1 smoked chase light w/ lighting effects. Custom bolted to rear side -POR15 rust proofing line-up, 3-step process PAUSED until 70⁰ weather Bought, in the garage queue: -BlueFire 6-Circuit Fuse Block with LED Indicator & Protection Cover -Blue Sea Systems 100A Circuit Breaker w/ reset lever -Rust prevention •New can POR15, 2x Black Fluid Film, long spray nozzle attachments, 2x PB Surface Shield, 1x Chainwax •partially used POR15 Degreaser, Metal Prep Wanted - PerryParts or Wheelers bump stops, self fabricated limb risers (seasonal, removable), 1" body lift, powder coated center winch bumper w/ large bar (got no tss), rear steel bumper w/ tire carrier for an LT285 Kumho on steely, sliders, bolt on cat shields
    That bucket roof rack is a flop, indeed

24. Sep 26, 2023 at 9:53 PM
    lowflyer

lowflyer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP w/ KDSS <2021 Venture w/o KDSS <line of Tundras
    That is great looking. Are those letters the red or the matte red, and is it difficult to get it on straight?

25. Sep 27, 2023 at 2:06 AM
    Matt83

Matt83 New Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Interesting point after owning three M cars, all which I terribly regret selling now (especially the E30 and M Coupe) I used to look at a regular E30 or E36 with an M badge and laugh. Yet I see all kinds of badging on 4Runners and it never bothers me. 4Runners are just not unique vehicles.

26. Sep 27, 2023 at 6:05 AM
    Mickeyblue

Mickeyblue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    The black is matte, and the red is glossy. I applied the black with the wet method the seller suggested and the letters come on a sheet already placed. You lay it where you want, rub the letters on and remove the backing. I only had to lay the strip where I wanted the letters. I found it fairly easy by following the seller’s application directions.

27. Sep 27, 2023 at 7:37 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    How could you....:p

nimby likes this.
  28. Sep 27, 2023 at 8:16 AM
    TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '23 SO TRD Pro, '21 BB Civic Type R
    Let’s be honest, M cars aren't that unique anymore lol before the Teslas took over corporate parking lots, it was a sea of M3s for every finance bro within sight.

My family had a couple 80s/90s bimmers when I was growing up, first car in high school was even a handed down E30 318i coupe. That was a different era of BMW….new ones are soulless heavy bricks imo.

Definitely turn my head when I see a cool 4runner, not so much for some new BMW leasemobile.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  29. Sep 27, 2023 at 8:17 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    I always turn for a 4Runner, never for a bmw. I might even be that weird guy that talks to you about your mods if I see your car in a parking lot ;)

30. Sep 27, 2023 at 8:50 AM
    5thToy

5thToy New Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5P
    I de-badge my vehicles regardless of trim and don't care what anyone else does with theirs. :notsure:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top