1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best tire for 4runner

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by authordaniel, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Feb 15, 2024 at 12:33 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    I have much experience with Toyo, Nitto, BFG and Falken. For very good all around all terrain tires each of those manufacturers is well regarded. However, this is a very subjective thing.

For me, I didn't care for the Nitto offerings nearly as much as the other three. IMO, they were sub-par compared to the others for snow/ice. The Toyo AT3 seems very competent but I felt it came in just below the two remaining options. I used BFG KO2 and KO3 for quite some time, but as soon as I tried the Falken AT3W, I quickly began to like how they performed both on road and off. Then once winter came to Northern Mi. I really appreciated their capabilities which IMO, surpassed all of the others. They wear very well and all sets I've had all balanced well. It's now the Falken AT4 and I'm hoping all the best qualities of the AT3W carry over.

I haven't bought dedicated winter tires in years. Even in my 45 years of driving in Northern Mi, I've had no accidents nor have I slid off the road. YMMV, if you feel you want/need a second set of tires for the winter there are great offerings.

1SilverRunner likes this.
  2. Feb 23, 2024 at 7:39 AM
    authordaniel

authordaniel [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota 4runner 2WD
    Okay, now I'm looking at these, LOL. Great looking tread. A bit pricier than some of the others, but I'm willing to pay more for good tires.

3. Feb 23, 2024 at 7:42 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Those new AT4W's look great!

I was looking the the sidewalls in a local shop a couple days ago. Super beefy. Seems like a very strong tire. A bit heavy though

Edit: AT4W will likely be my next tire choice. I have 20k miles or so to decide if I want to regear for their 285/75/17 or just stick with 285/70/17 and stock gears...

They don't make a 295/70/17 otherwise I'd step up to that and stay with stock gears for now...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  4. Feb 23, 2024 at 8:30 AM
    MEski4x4

MEski4x4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Pro
    I'm between the AT4 and the Mickey Baja Boss AT - leaning Baja Boss because of the amount of snow traveling in remote areas of Maine that I do. I am a Duratrac fanboy, but I'm willing to go with something else and those two are the current pack leaders. I hated the K02s I've had.

1SilverRunner likes this.
  5. Feb 23, 2024 at 8:53 AM
    Schlappesepple

Schlappesepple New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    I wonder how old your Michelins were. I had some on my Tacoma that were great, until they were about 5 years old. They still had tread, but I think the compound had hardened and I suddenly had little grip in the rain.

I don't drive enough to buy them now, if I'm not going to come close to the mileage warranty on tires in 5 years, I don't buy them.

I think you should take your top 3 or 4 picks from here, then compare them on tire rack's website. You can look at mileage warranty, customer ratings, weight, treadwear, traction, and temperature ratings. These should all help you make a decision.

For your use case (mainly on road), P/SL/XL rating would be fine. LT tires would be overkill, adding weight and cost.

I'm also in North Carolina, and I think rain is our biggest issue here, so I put a lot of weight in wet road traction. The Wildpeaks are great here, but I've never tried any of the other AT suggestions.

6. Feb 23, 2024 at 10:42 AM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    I was going to say Duratracs for Maine, but you knew that. lol

I like the Baja Boss as an alternative, but i am hesitant for snow and my off roading. Curious how the do if you go that way.

MEski4x4[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 23, 2024 at 11:10 AM
    MEski4x4

MEski4x4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Pro
    I'll keep you posted. Going to run the Stock Nittos through the summer and then switch. I've had 33", 35", and 37" Duratracs on a truck and two jeeps, and I really love them, but I'm trying to get a bit more mileage out of the next set, and if I can cut down on noise without losing winter capabilities, I'll be very happy.

Ripper238[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Feb 23, 2024 at 11:31 AM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Good to hear how you love them. As do I.

There is a new Duratrac that may solve the sound issue, the new Duratrac RT. https://www.4runners.com/threads/new-wrangler-duratrac-rt.34223/

It may be the New answer for us Duratrac fans.

9. Feb 23, 2024 at 11:35 AM
    MEski4x4

MEski4x4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Pro
    I looked into these. I don't want an E rated Duratrac, and it seems like that's the only option in 285/70/17. I've had them in C, D, and E, and I wouldn't want them in E again.

10. Feb 23, 2024 at 1:49 PM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    100%, no E load for me ether. Didn't relies they didn't have C load, or not yet. Maybe it was not listed? My Duratracs were not listed.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    MEski4x4[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top