1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Limited owners out there? A couple questions if you don't mind...

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by TimGinCentralNJ, Mar 26, 2024.

1. May 5, 2024 at 9:02 PM
    Belfastboy

Belfastboy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 lifted pearl limited
    BP51’s/IKON rims 275 70 17 falkens Prinsu S&B CAI Pedal commander
    I bought a 21 Limited because I wanted full time 4wd. and Leather, loved it till I took it on a trip to White Rim and realized it was a bit low to the ground. No other issues other than underbody scrapes and dinged up OEM running boards. Took it to Slee here in Colorado for OME Bp-21’s ,level lift 2 inch in front and something close in rear. Wheels, Wildpeaks,slee sliders and Xreas delete,I am now at 46,000 and love it. 2nd trip on the White Rim was a much better experience. In town and on the highway it seems smoother and has minimal dive while braking. Just did an out and back to San Jose and the only complaint is the 5 speed transmission. Not much of a 4 wheeler but it does what I need it to. I’m totally convinced that the Pedal commander,CAI and Borla exhaust make enough noise to make me feel like it’s faster…feel…its not and I get that highly sought V6 rumble…..says nobody.

2018 Limited likes this.
  2. May 6, 2024 at 4:51 AM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    IMG_7578.jpg
    It’s oem everything. It’s not lowered nor raised and the 17” wheels are nearly identical in height and clearance as the 20” setup. 20” wheel height is 99.20 mm and the 17” height is 99.29 mm high. The 17” wheels with tires are 0.1mm higher

Klinsman55[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. May 6, 2024 at 5:47 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Borla exhaust, Jet MAF sensor, K&N filter, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Hella horns, electric fan, Pedal Commander, Derale power steering cooler,
    Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe too.

4. May 6, 2024 at 6:19 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited

Kind of, Pontiac got the Matrix but I don’t recall Toyota getting a platform in return. My daily beater is a Vibe GT, which is the one that uses the Toyota supplied Lotus Elise engine and transmission.

But my point was more that Toyota would slap TRD branding on granola bars if they sold them.

5. May 6, 2024 at 10:38 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Borla exhaust, Jet MAF sensor, K&N filter, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Hella horns, electric fan, Pedal Commander, Derale power steering cooler,
    They shared engines and transmissions. I don't know about platforms. Exactly. It will be GR next. I knew they supplied drive trains but I don't or didn't know about platforms. They are sending drive trains to Mexico to build Tacomas. I don't want any Mexican steel.

6. May 6, 2024 at 10:42 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    The boards are low and aggravating on stock Limited. I raised mine and reinstalled to get my old military ass in. Helps using so you don't wear drivers seat leather sliding butt across it. 3-4" lift makes them more usable. They were always at height I couldn't use much before. I would like rock steps for the look, but I can bend and scratch the free ones first

7. May 6, 2024 at 10:49 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Body molding is lower on Limited because of 5" side molding and boards are lower changing brackets I believe. Reason others don't fit the model. You can remove and the other models should fit I think. Limited is for us crippled gizzers and old people to access

8. May 6, 2024 at 10:52 AM
    Manhattan

Manhattan New Member

Member:
    Running boards/steps aside… What is the difference in step-in (not using external running boards/steps) height of a Limited versus an SR5?

9. May 6, 2024 at 11:31 AM
    Pavementprincess24

Pavementprincess24 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 White 4Runner TRD OR premium
    I highly doubt the Limited would be right behind a Pro on the trail. Lack of a locker, MTS and skinny car tires.

10. May 6, 2024 at 11:33 AM
    ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2024 Barcelona Red Limited
    Star Wars Air Freshener
    Sir, other than the fact that you've had several 4Runners you and I are twin sons of different mothers. Have had my 2024 Limited since late February and agree with you on every point.

Check out FNWheels.com for their version of the 17" TRD Pro wheels. That's where I got mine and it worked out great. Still waiting on Discount to get my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT tires in though. https://www.fnwheels.com/store/product/fn-wheels-fx-pro/

LastRide[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. May 6, 2024 at 11:36 AM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    It’s the same Toyota platform. They have slightly different bodies, different lights, bumpers, and dash trims, but the only meaningful (non-cosmetic) difference between them is that GM wanted to do their own HVAC system… which to the surprise of nobody, is the only consistently problem prone thing on those 1st gen Vibes. The fresh air/recirculation door actuators seem to fail every winter.

Harringbr99 likes this.
  12. May 6, 2024 at 11:41 AM
    LastRide

LastRide New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2024 Limited - Classic Silver
    Hey, thanks for that link. Those look good, and might be the ones. I'm still trying to decide which color would look best on my Classic Silver Metallic 4Runner - Black, Gloss Gunmetal or Matte Gunmetal. And which 17" tires I'd get. Those Mickey Thompsons look really good.

ThatOneGuy[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 6, 2024 at 11:45 AM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    I have a silver limited with matte gunmetal. It’s nice that the wheels never really look dirty when they aren’t supposed to be shiny. I haven’t actually tried to clean with anything beyond a power washer in like 3 years lol

IMG_8282.jpg

ThatOneGuy and Harringbr99 like this.
  14. May 6, 2024 at 2:10 PM
    Harringbr99

Harringbr99 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red Limited
    BudBuilt Skids/Sliders/Hidden Winch, Cornfed 2/1 XREAS lift, Custom Fab Rear Bumper
    None. - Step in Height is the same on a stock 4x4 limited vs any trim except the Fox Suspension TRD Pro because it comes with a 1" lift raising the step-in height about that much and raising the front clearance 1" and not changing the overall 9.6 inches of clearance because that is measured at the rear diff, and only larger tires can change that.

Manhattan[QUOTED] and Ricphoto like this.
  15. May 6, 2024 at 3:17 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    I wasn't sure about platforms. Makes sense production wise Commonality could actually help parts reliability and price sharing with Tacoma and LC 250. I wonder if they still make the big Cruiser? I guess UN gets them and they are probably on the Lexus 5.7 platform whatever it is. I remember 16 years ago we got in 2 new LCs and they were $75k+ back then. Two in 10 years and special order.

16. May 6, 2024 at 3:30 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner

17. May 6, 2024 at 9:44 PM
    LastRide

LastRide New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2024 Limited - Classic Silver
    I was leaning towards the Matte Gunmetal and I think you just pushed me over the edge. They look great on yours! Thanks.

ThatOneGuy likes this.
  18. May 7, 2024 at 1:17 AM
    mtnslyr

mtnslyr New Member

Member:
    1. What's the advantage of 2wd? Locked and unlocked 4wd is better than only locked 4wd.
    2. The only reason for 10 year/100k extended warranty. Or put that money towards replacement shocks.
    3. I love the limited look. Subdued look doesn't make one look like a doomsday pepper. Yeah I know, I couldn't afford a 200 series cruiser.

19. May 7, 2024 at 4:15 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    2wd lower maintenance and costs, depending on how much you drive, cost and coverage warranty is usually worthless, but 10 years isn't bad. Shouldn't wear shocks out driving that mileage. I like my AWD Limited and I was getting 22-23 mpg on long trips. I like the TRD sport look too. It's a more subdued Limited in cooler colors.

20. May 7, 2024 at 8:46 AM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    According to Toyota ground clearance on a 4wd sr5 or limited is 9.6” regardless.

21. May 7, 2024 at 9:02 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    I have definitely got more clearance. I just measured the amount of body lift. It really doesn't look like 4" of suspension lift. Tires and wheels fitting was my real interest. I planned on Xreas replacement and I needed tires so I tried to do everything at once in order. I used adjustable sway bar links and extended would have been fine. I need to change oil I will measure from the center for height and compare. It does well on a windy day but I'm in a different level of windshield bugs. I'm going to have to cut and trim some of the Limited trim also. Going around a curve with a deep in the center to hard and fast will cause body to squat and tire grab Limited mudflap bolt if I forget causing AWD awareness for a split second. I bet it looks crazy from behind. It definitely is driving.

Last edited: May 7, 2024
  22. May 7, 2024 at 9:12 AM
    Airdam

Airdam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    airdam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Urban Runner 2012 Limited 2023 TRD Sport
    I have 305/50-20 General AT/X on my 2023, its my wifes daily driver, she gets about 19.5mpg
    I have 285/60-18 General AT/X on my 2008, its my daily driver, i get about 20-21mpg
    Both of these are practically the same, same engine, same trans, nearly identical diff ratio, if you are getting 16mpg maybe lay off the skinny pedal a tad and/or find better gas. I bought a gas/ethanol tester and went to 13 different gas startions in town and bought $0.68 at each station, this was about what it took to get enough in a container to fill the tester. I marked the results at every station and found who has the most ethanol content and who has the least and now i go to the station with the least ethanol content and my fuel mileage thanked me.

IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1788 (1).jpg
    732416135.jpg

23. May 7, 2024 at 9:34 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    I'm probably 10" with extra tire height. The rear differential would be lowest point and only tires will increase that. You gain a little height in center front. It's body lift mostly for tire clearance.

Harringbr99 likes this.
  24. May 7, 2024 at 9:39 AM
    Airdam

Airdam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    airdam
    Vehicle:
    This is because you push the button to crank it (1) before they retract (2) while they are starting to retract
    When you push the button for the starter, the ECU kills all power to everything except the interior lights and sends it all to the starter, this kills the power to the steps and if you hop in quick, slam the door and hit the starter button before the steps retract, the running board ECU loses power and then "forgets" they are closed until you open and close the door again. It does kinda suck until you learn this is whats happening and just remember to close the door, count 1 mississippi 2 mississippi and then start it up. Once the boards start to close you can hit the button and start the engine.
    This is terribly unfortunate to see someone say this but i can totally understand it. The Limited 4R is a really nice vehicle, although it has some drawbacks like you said, the lack of power rear liftgate does absolutely suck but Toyota has refined the struts for the most recent models and the rear gate "feels" lighter. My 2008 and our 2012 was SOOOO heavy, you had to swing the crap out of it, to catch your hand on the top to finish pushing it down. All of my friends 2016, 2018, 2021 are still like this but our 2023 feels so much lighter. You can pull the strap and in one swing it slams shut without having to grab the lip of the gate and keep pushing down. Others have reported the same in the 2023 and 2024 models. I suspect the lift gate struts are likely softer, less pressure, which also means in 4-5 years the gate will likely not open on its own and be sagging but we shall see. We are awaiting the 2025 release and parts list, and likely going to purchase the liftgate arms and controller from the new 2025 and going to retrofit it on our 2023.
    Her (wife) 2020 Jeep had power liftgate, her 2017 Highlander platinum had power liftgate, my moms last 3 Rav4s have had power liftgate, my sisters Rav4 has power liftgate. I cant for the life of me figure out why the 4Runner never got it?

yep, this x100

Harringbr99 likes this.
  25. May 7, 2024 at 9:52 AM
    Airdam

Airdam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    airdam
    Vehicle:
    Look on Ebay, there is a seller in Texas, i think its like "texas truck tires" that sells take-off wheels. They have the Toyota black 17s with nittos for like $2200 to $2500 new take-off. I believe they are in Houston but the shipping isnt that bad like $100 or something if you are too far to drive.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  26. May 7, 2024 at 9:58 AM
    Airdam

Airdam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    airdam
    Vehicle:
    It was called the Chevrolet Nova
    It was practically a base model corolla top to bottom, inside and out, with a more square nose.
    This was Chevrolet wanting to have a cheap reliable car to sell to go toe to toe with Toyota and Nissan.
    They basically strong'armed Toyota and said
    "we need this, we need it at this price"
    This pushed toyota to use cheaper materials in places, the dash and seats were cheaper, the plastic was lower quality than what was in the Corolla, but it met the price point and was reliable enough i guess.

27. May 7, 2024 at 10:13 AM
    Airdam

Airdam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    airdam
    Vehicle:
    The Limited 4wd and SR5 4wd are the same height per the book, same springs, just a different shock. The body, frame, suspension, and springs are the same so the height to the door sill should be identical. The tire size, like shown above is practically identical only 0.1" difference in overall tire height. This should allow the headlights, and door sill to be at the same place.
    The 2wd and 4wd have different front springs, the 2wd sits a little lower. This is across all models, the SR5 and Limited.
    I have had 3 4runners, own 2 currently, all 3 have had the XReas. I personally like how it feels when its new, my 2008 Urban Runner has the Xreas and i ABSOLUTELY loved how it felt until it finally started leaking. I was somewhere around 175,000 miles before the right rear started leaking, then the left front, and within 6 months they were toast and flopping. I did all the research you can do and everyone on the forums was saying to use the TRD Offroad Tacoma front shocks and springs. The spring rate, and height was equal to a 2" lift and softer ride. I bought a brand new set of take-offs and put them on to replace my Xreas and while yes it rides decent, its nothing like my Xreas when it was new and working. The TRD Offroad shocks from the tacoma are GREAT on a gravel road, the wash board choppy stuff it smooths out great, the small cracks in concrete roads and cracks in pavement isnt anywhere near as compliant as the Xreas system was.
    Our 2012 Limited had Xreas and we really really liked it, it road very soft and smooth on the road
    Our 2023 TRD Sport (limited body and suspension) has the Xreas and we really like how it drives too. Its soft, sensible, predictable, and doesnt give you any uneasy feelings.
    All 3 of mine have/had 2" or 2.5" lifts on them since day 1 and the Xreas works great until they eventually leak. There is just so many lines, so many connections, and so much oil under pressure looking for a way out. Its great until it eventually leaks. To the guy who claimed its $4500 fix, yeah maybe so if you go back 100% stock at the dealer. I bought the TRD Offroad Tacoma shocks off a guy on craigslist for $250 brand new front and rear take-offs. I had all of them swapped in less than 4 hours doing it myself with a jack and two jack stands. Dont be scared of Xreas, most people dont keep vehicles forever, the Xreas isnt going to go bad on day 1 or day 365, its going to last well outside of warranty and go past the extended warranty most times. It rides great, i really like it and am glad we get it on the Limited.

Harringbr99, Ricphoto and ThatOneGuy like this.
  28. May 7, 2024 at 6:27 PM
    Klinsman55

Klinsman55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2024 LE silver
    Maybe a stupid question but how well does XREAS hold up to off road driving (dirt, gravel roads, washboards, over-landing. Not rock crawling or high speed desert )? Would this cause. Leak early on if I take a Limited off-road often?

29. May 7, 2024 at 6:36 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Is A-Trac active all the time on Limited?

30. May 7, 2024 at 7:29 PM
    Airdam

Airdam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    airdam
    Vehicle:
    nah, seriously doubt
    the Xreas rides great actually. We live on about a mile of gravel road. I normally keep it crowned pretty good and normally shape it up about once a year. Eventually we get chatter bumps or pot holes and i have to smooth it out, not only do we live on a gravel road, we live in Mississippi so some of our paved roads are barely better than gravel roads and honestly some are worse. We live way out in the county and travel a fair bit of gravel roads in our travels and i think the Xreas works great. I will say at speeds like 20-40 the Xreas is smooth as glass on moderately smooth gravel roads. In washboard stuff it will chatter you around and the rear dance on you a bit but i dont think anything wont.

The TRD Offroad Tacoma shock and spring combo i put on my 2008 that replaced the Xreas, i think works better in the washboard stuff and especially slower like the 10-30mph stuff, i assume its the valving in the shock really, but it does ride pretty smooth on gravel, but not as smooth on the roads and potholes as what the Xreas did. I cant see how or why the Xreas would not do good offroad, for about 6 years my daughter went to the YMCA summer camp, and to get there i ride a gravel backroad about 10 miles to cut across the county to get to this location. This is a county maintained road but this maintenance was a grader about once every month or two. It would get soooo hammered and i mean hammered but it turned a 35-40 minute trip into a 20 minute trip crossing this road so twice a day i took it every summer while she was out of school for years. During this time i had the Xreas and honestly if i could get on top of the bumps, 30-40 it was smooth. When you had to slow down it would definitely rattle the dash. Like i say, i got about 175k on mine before it started leaking i dont think it matters how you use it, i think its likely the o-rings in all the connectors drying out and losing their seal.

Products Discussed in

To Top