1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-Trac is a must for our IFS

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Yotaholic, Jun 24, 2024.

1. Jul 2, 2024 at 3:21 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Relax!

Slopemaster likes this.
  2. Jul 2, 2024 at 4:38 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    He's right. Political statements are a good way to get banned.

3. Jul 2, 2024 at 4:45 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Peace ;)

FB_IMG_1719963899014.jpg

Slopemaster likes this.
  4. Jul 2, 2024 at 5:03 PM
    Eubeenhadd

Eubeenhadd Bit of a derp

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    2005 T4R 4.7 AWD
    OME 885/895, 265/70R17 Encounter AT
    Hey man, the guys that run this site also run Tacomaworld with the same basic rules. Go look at their Banned Members Memorial Thread and take a look at the reason why, most of the time it's politics or trying to sell shit.

Don't join the graveyard.

5. Jul 2, 2024 at 8:41 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Not to keep the political stuff going but it's funny, I seriously just ran across a snopes article (5 min ago) that said some Nigerian guy in France was making false claims online about the $900 California comment made above. I browsed it over but the jist of what I read was that anything under $950 is just a misdemeanor but still illegal. It was passed as an effort to reduce the prison population of nonviolent offenders. Apparently overcrowded prisons are a big issue there. Illegal, just not a felony

Yotaholic[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 3, 2024 at 4:47 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Hmmm, A-Trac and politics....great morning coffee reading during my morning constitutional. These guys will ban you, even if you're kind of just watching from the edge of the playground.
    Even if it was for discussing certain health decisions a few years ago.
    Political perception is a very broad interpretation on here.
    I know one member who just recently deleted every post he ever made on here because of it.

7. Jul 3, 2024 at 5:26 AM
    GrimJeeper91

GrimJeeper91 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Off-Road
    Yokohama AT's, Bilstein 5100's, Talon's Garage full skids.
    True, back on topic...sorry for bringing up politics, I should have stuck with something safe like religion.

In all seriousness, I'm blown away by how capable the 4R is right off the show room floor thanks in part to BOTH the Atrac and rear locker. This is coming from a guy that's been driving Jeeps for almost 50 years. Yes, my Jeep is more capable now, but not when it was new. I'm driving an old school 1991 Jeep Wrangler, not a Rubicon. New it was rolling on 28" street tires and leaf springs that didn't hardly flex thanks to the sway and track bars. Plus it rode like a freight wagon (not much better today either). Fast forward 33 years and it's rolling on 35's, 6" of lift, lockers added front and rear along with beefier axles (and too many other mods!!!). I don't want to talk about how much $$ has been put into that thing to make it what it is today. The 4R would have blown it away, in comfort and with the AC on. I'll be missing the AC when I'm wheeling my dinosaur this weekend in Big Bear with the thermometer hitting 90 degrees.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
    MI-FL off roader likes this.
  8. Jul 3, 2024 at 7:47 AM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Agree with the stock 4runner capability. I had these wild dreams about taking offroad trips and needing to "build it out" just in case - mild lift, sliders, full skids, winch, etc. I should have researched the trails available to me around here (no gatekeepers because they're pretty much all forest roads that a Honda accord could drive) and listened to other members before going full tilt. A decent set of tires would have been all I really needed.

But, I do like the boyscout mantra to always be prepared and feel it's prepared for anything I would end up throwing at it. And it makes me smile when I see and drive it. I plan to keep it for another 25+ years and will hopefully be retired by then and it will be ready for those trips

9. Jul 9, 2024 at 6:49 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Ended up with a 4 Door Wrangler Rubicon 4XE Hybrid powertrain.

A couple things I noticed while driving this rental for a week.

Off road
    -Factory twin lockers was a nice feature.
    -Factory sway bar disconnects were nice but took a very long time to engage and disengage. Didn't inspire confidence.
    -Wash board roads were indeed terrible. Sway bar dicso's helped a little. IFS and no sway bar was missed here. But that may be an unfair comparison.
    -Visibility while wheeling was better. Reminded me of older vehicle's higher seating position allowing you to see over the hood easier.
    -SFA front suspension flex was nice but stock suspension meant I would run out of shock travel pretty quickly.
    -Steering components and front axle seemed solid. Like it could handle some abuse without needing an immediate alignment.

On road
    -8 Speed transmission always seemed to be in the right gear. No gear hunting or lack of power issues.
    -Hybrid powertrain seemed nice at first. But the electric motor only gets you 20 extra miles of range and is used up quickly. Combined horsepower is fun when charged up though.
    -Range could be an issue. I was getting 15-16 mpg city and 17-20 Hwy. Range was calculated to be 220 miles with a full tank and no electric charge. Would have been only 240 with a charge. Pretty weak compared to the 4Runner
    -Wind noise was terrible. 70mph in this Jeep sounded like 85-90 mph in the 4R.
    -Seats weren't incredibly comfortable for long journeys.
    -The hybrid powertrain does not allow you to control the engine independently. None of the drive modes I found will keep the engine from randomly turning on and off when needed. Not being able to disable this feature and just keep the engine on was annoying. On road this works seamlessly. Off road it gives me anxiety every time the engine kicks off for no obvious reason.

Overall I liked the Jeep. But I prefer my 4Runner for my use case.

CA Rental.jpg

10. Jul 9, 2024 at 7:25 AM
    Acesandeights

Acesandeights #34

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2024 ORP
    265/70/17 BFG AT KO2, chapstick in the cup holder
    Sounds about right. Nice review.

11. Jul 9, 2024 at 10:35 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I saw one of these hybrids in action once. It was pretty neat to watch it climb a rock in nothing but
    electric drive.

So they’re now way to make the drivetrain use the electric drive by itself? There’s always a chance it will kick on mid-obstacle? Was the transition between electric only and hybrid smooth?

12. Jul 9, 2024 at 11:30 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Yes there's an option for all electric. But no option for all engine... at least not on the surface.

There were three modes. Hybrid, Electric, or eSave.
    Esave is the mode that tries to conserve battery and use the engine only. Except I found the engine would still turn off at red lights or deceleration.

During normal driving the system worked well and transitioned between power sources perfectly.

That said, personally I don't think 20 miles of electric range is worth all the hassle. But from a performance aspect I can appreciate it.
    The Turbo I4 makes 270hp, 295 lb-ft.
    Add the electric motor and its 375 hp, 470 lb-ft

A lot of fun but... doesn't last very long at all. The majority of the time driving this thing the battery would read <1%
    If I charged it, the charge would be gone in the first hour of driving.

Fine if you're going around town. But not ideal on a trip imo.

McSpazatron[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jul 9, 2024 at 11:49 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    I think it might be neat on extended camping trips. Camp a few days in one spot with solar panels out, relocate, camp a few days, recharge with solar, rinse and repeat. Probably a bit too specific of a use case, but it would be neat regardless. Assuming you could recharge with solar.

14. Jul 9, 2024 at 11:52 AM
    Lost Woods

Lost Woods New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 SR5P
    Yeah problem is you can't recharge with solar on any reasonable timeframe. Surface area has been the bane of solar-powered transportation since it was first attempted.

15. Jul 9, 2024 at 11:54 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Battery is 17,000 watt hours. Most portable solar panels would need about 150 days to charge that xD

Old Tanker and Acesandeights like this.
  16. Jul 9, 2024 at 11:56 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    oof, yeah ok. You just burst my dreams man lol.

I figured a big 400w might make a dent, but that would still require a while in perfect conditions

17. Jul 9, 2024 at 12:39 PM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Haha yeah sorry man xD Maybe some big portable solar panels could? idk.

I will say it was a lot of fun when it had battery. But with how quick the battery drained I'd rather have a big v6 or v8 personally.
    If the 392 wasn't going for 100,000k I'd opt for that over the 4xe. Embrace the 14 mpg.
    :oldglory:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
  18. Jul 9, 2024 at 12:49 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Gee, I’m ready rather close to embracing 14mpg lol:laugh:

19. Jul 9, 2024 at 12:59 PM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    My thoughts exactly.
    On 34s I'm already at 14-15 city. 17 hwy.

Then again I think the 392 requires premium fuel... and people report less than 10mpg in the city after some 35" tires are added.

So our boringly reliable 270 hp v6 getting 14 mpg is a good compromise I suppose.

20. Jul 9, 2024 at 1:17 PM
    Acesandeights

Acesandeights #34

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2024 ORP
    @1SilverRunner , maybe it's what you meant, but the 392 comes stock with 35" tires, and yes it requires premium fuel. EPA rating is 13 city, 16 hwy and 14 combined.

21. Jul 9, 2024 at 1:19 PM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Standard is 33s

22. Jul 9, 2024 at 1:19 PM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Straight from Jeeps website

upload_2024-7-9_15-19-31.png

23. Jul 9, 2024 at 1:21 PM
    Acesandeights

Acesandeights #34

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2024 ORP
    Nah, the 392 comes stock with 35" tires, 315/70/17. The Xtreme Recon, and the 392, come with 35".

24. Jul 9, 2024 at 1:25 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
  25. Jul 9, 2024 at 1:29 PM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Yes it says in the quote 33" come standard on the 392 but you can get the "xtreme recon" package which adds 35s.

26. Jul 9, 2024 at 1:32 PM
    Acesandeights

Acesandeights #34

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2024 ORP
    Whew, the cut and paste pictures are cool, but the build and price, the manufacturer spec sheets, and the dealer order guides all confirm the 392 comes with 35" tires as standard equipment. The Xtreme Recon adds 35" tires. The 392 comes with them standard. In fact, the 392 is the only model that has 35" as standard equipment, not part of a "package" or optional equipment.

27. Jul 9, 2024 at 1:46 PM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    That's good. Must have changed from the 2023 year model where 33s were standard and you would have to add that dealer package to get 35's.

28. Jul 9, 2024 at 1:49 PM
    Acesandeights

Acesandeights #34

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2024 ORP
    Yep, it was optional up to 2023 and became standard in 2024 (for the 392).

1SilverRunner likes this.
  29. Jul 9, 2024 at 2:19 PM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Missed that it changed randomly for the 2024 ym. Thanks.

470 lb-ft of v8 torque sounds fun...

30. Jul 10, 2024 at 8:33 AM
    CA4runner

CA4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    6112s, TRD F2 wheels
    Back on A-Trac question. Does a moderate lift, say 1" to 2"s reduce/improve the effectiveness of A-Trac? since lifts
    inadvertently reduce upward travel or droop? meaning a wheel on a lifted truck would come out of contact with the surface sooner then one with out a lift?

Cheers

Products Discussed in

To Top