1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6th gen Speculation Thread

Discussion in '6th Gen 4Runners (2025+)' started by nimby, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Jun 13, 2023 at 10:11 AM
    Klinsman55

Klinsman55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2024 LE silver
    Im sure your 4Runner will be just as capable or more, more reliable, lower maintenance costs and better built all for thousands less than a new Land Cruiser and this will most likely keep your 4Runner resale value very good

2. Jun 13, 2023 at 10:28 AM
    TexasFunRunner

TexasFunRunner New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    SUV
    Yes, Toyota is bringing back the Land Cruiser to the US in the form of a Prado variant, as it makes sense to their business case. It will revealed this fall, no, it will not be the 300 or international Prado. It will be similar to the new generation international Prado but it will have a unique front end for the US and Canada with retro styling from the 70 series and a possible touch of 40 series thrown in. And yes, there will also be a new 6th Gen 4Runner as well, no worries there.

Here is my running summary, a big thanks to @Carmaker1 for sharing much of the background information.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    nimby[OP] and redneck pilot like this.
  3. Jun 13, 2023 at 10:33 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    I'm glad I bought when I did. I didn't have time to wait for a new vehicle, and the LC might have lured me into extra expense.

Klinsman55 likes this.
  4. Jun 13, 2023 at 10:41 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Doglover2003 likes this.
  5. Jun 13, 2023 at 10:48 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    But....but..its been my dream vehicle forever!

6. Jun 13, 2023 at 10:51 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    So Prado. That makes me a little less sad, although if prado takes cues after the GX it is going to be one handsome looking boxy vehicle.
    I am cursing so much right now, I wish I had waited a bit - I could have had the option to buy a new LC in US!

The only thing that will make all of this better is if they discontinue 4Runner because 4Runner and small LC that is almost same size can not exist in same market. And then I will be owning an instant classic!

Here's to Toyota shelving 4Runner in United States!

7. Jun 13, 2023 at 10:55 AM
    Klinsman55

Klinsman55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2024 LE silver
    I see. That would make it hard. Although the Land-rover Defender was my dream vehicle as well as I had/used a 1960’s one as a teenager when living overseas and loved it. Then I saw the new Defender and it’s nothing like what I was expecting and hoped for

IMG_0895.jpg

8. Jun 13, 2023 at 11:01 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    That's how I feel. I always wanted a Defender and was really disappointed in what the new ones turned out to be.

9. Jun 13, 2023 at 12:47 PM
    HotelMedicis

HotelMedicis No Commercial Interests

Member:
    Prado = GX = 4Runner

It's all the same basic vehicle wearing different clothing or engine + transmission in the case of the GX

Now with the TNGA-F platform, the Sequoia, 4Runner, GX, Land Cruiser -- oh man, what's the difference anymore. A few add ons, spec, blah blah. Same vehicle.

Until the J300 series Land Cruiser it was a totally different vehicle from any other. Now it's got the same platform as a Tacoma. Yawn.

nonuniform and Thatbassguy like this.
  10. Jun 13, 2023 at 5:12 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Land Cruiser 70 series is still made in its own factory. It was only a matter of time before Toyota did this with US versions of the truck families.

It doesn't really matter what the truck looks like, for me, it's about capabilities. So, basically, I see it as:

GX = luxury 4Runner
    Land Cruiser = top-spec off-roading 4Runner
    4Runner = base, mall-crawler 4Runner (of course, there will be a limited version)

So, basically, they're all the same chassis, with different bodies, option packages, and prices. Basically, they could have just called them all the same base name like Land Rover does with the Defender. At this point, Land Cruiser is meaningless in the US unless they decide to do something useful, like a front locker. (which they won't).

11. Jun 13, 2023 at 6:23 PM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    I wonder how many of the folks here who are saying “it’s all the same vehicle” would line up to buy new LC when it comes out. If money isn’t a concern I can honestly say I would. I don’t give a rats ass if it’s the same engine (it usually isn’t , they always upspec or down spec it to differentiate various models).

I am guessing LC would cost little less than GX, maybe the same. If I have spare 20K, I’d trade in my paid off 4Runner in a heartbeat and get the new LC.

12. Jun 13, 2023 at 6:26 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    There was some talk about the next generation 4Runner being slightly smaller than the GX/Prado. If that were the case, it could just end up like it has been, except that the US market Landcruiser is midsize instead of full size, and the 4Runner remains the top Toyota off-road offering in the US.

I just don't see any reason for Toyota to continue manufacturing the 4Runner unless they continue to offer it with some off-road capability. The Highlander covers the midsize crossover market, so a pavement oriented 4Runner doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    nonuniform[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jun 13, 2023 at 6:32 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    It would absolutely depend on pricing and options offered on each model. I can admit that it's the same platform and still prefer one over the other.

If the biggest difference ends up being a turbo 2.4 in the 4Runner VS a turbo V6 in the GX/Prado, I'll gladly save my money and get the 4Runner. But, if the GX and Prado come with some serious off-roading advantages (which is highly doubtful), then I could see myself wanting one.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    Klinsman55 likes this.
  14. Jun 13, 2023 at 7:14 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Once again - this is exactly what I'm saying:

"GX = luxury 4Runner
    Land Cruiser = top-spec off-roading 4Runner
    4Runner = base, mall-crawler 4Runner (of course, there will be a limited version)"​

In that scenario, the LC would be the one to buy *if* you can afford it.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  15. Jun 13, 2023 at 7:24 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Yeah, well, I don't know what the breakdown of sales by model is for the 4Runner, but as a product guy, if I were at Toyota, I'd look at the sales figures for the 4R, and figure out how to bump the price by 15-20% on the TRD Off-Road and Pro, add a few minor functional design changes, give it a LC unique body and interior and call it a Land Cruiser.

The 4Runner could still have the SR5, TRD Sport versions that I'm sure many people are happily taking off-road, and plenty more just using it like a heavy duty station wagon.

From a brand perspective, the Land Cruiser has more cred as an off-road vehicle than the 4Runner. Mainly due to the heritage of models like the 40, 60, 80 series, and the global 70 series. Remember we're talking branding and marketing, not reality. In reality the 4Runner is a solid off-road vehicle, but the name Land Cruiser carries some special sauce in people's emotional response. I know guys that got into overlanding during the pandemic. Bought clapped out 80 series trucks for $20-30,000 and spent another $20k repairing and modifying the vehicle. We drive the same trails together, and they're constantly telling me I should have a LandCruiser. My basically bone stock TRD ORP does everything they do, but, they're convinced the 4R is inferior. Whatever. So far I'm the truck that tows broken 80's back to pavement when some ancient part fails.

16. Jun 13, 2023 at 7:47 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

Some good points, for sure!

I totally agree about the Landcruiser name, but I think it's mostly justified when you look at the off-road oriented versions.

I'm excited and nervous about whatever Toyota is going to do with the 6th gen. I'd love to see less gimmicks and more potential than the current version, but we'll see.

HotelMedicis and broken-giver like this.
  17. Jun 14, 2023 at 8:39 AM
    Naville

Naville New Member

Member:
    The 2024 GX and LC, produced at the Tahara factory in Japan, will replace the 4Runner as the lead Toyota protagonist in the mid-sized SUV space. The 6th Gen 4Runner is destined to be a focussed off road sport specialty vehicle designed and tasked to confront and surpass the Jeep Wrangler and Ford Bronco.

The 6th gen 4Runner will be associated very closely to the Tacoma and it is going to be a monster off-road with a stunning heritage inspired FJ Cruiser/Land Cruiser FJ70-like body design. The new 4Runner is going to be a very special and highly sought after product given its off-road prowess, awesome looks and price point (less than GX or LX.) The only downside, given its connection to the Tacoma, will be its place of manufacture, namely Mexico. It is hard to imagine a Tacoma variant being built in Japan alongside GXs and LCs.

In the meantime, the sweet spot for Toyota buyers is the 2023 and 2024 4Runner. They will be the last, affordable fully featured, hand built Japanese utility vehicles made and they will quickly become collectors’ favorites. Expect to see limited edition color TRD Pros on the auction block at Barrett-Jackson going for staggering sums.

Idayota, HotelMedicis and Thatbassguy like this.
  18. Jun 14, 2023 at 8:54 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    This sounds too good to be true! I'll believe it when I see it. :D

HotelMedicis and TexasFunRunner like this.
  19. Jun 14, 2023 at 9:19 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I was going to say the same. Always liked the look of the Defender. The new Defender does nothing for me.

HotelMedicis likes this.
  20. Jun 14, 2023 at 10:00 AM
    HotelMedicis

HotelMedicis No Commercial Interests

Member:
    Love the color yellow on that rig!

Here I am in 1988 with my 1962 Land Rover Series IIa 88

scan0013.jpg

21. Jun 14, 2023 at 11:22 AM
    TexasFunRunner

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    SUV
    @Naville, welcome to the forum, thanks for the first post. Your information sounds interesting but deviates from leaks and whispers that we have been heard for the last year on the 4Runner forums. One of the key sources of information is the longtime industry insider @Carmaker1, who has an excellent track record. Further bits and pieces of information have trickled in from various connected enthusiasts, including whispered information from Toyota insiders.

What we know from this information is the 6th gen 4Runner will be evolutionary in design, with some influence from the new Tacoma. Market purpose and Sales for the new 6th gen 4Runner are expected to continue per historical numbers.

The new Land Cruiser is the model that will have retro styling from the 70 series and a possible touch of 40 series thrown in. The new Land Cruiser is the model targeted to compete with the Bronco Badlands and Jeep Rubicon level models. From a marketing perspective, this only makes sense, it is the Land Cruiser with the heritage and cred to go up against the competition. Sales for the new Land Cruiser are expected to be about 25% - 30% of the 4Runner sales volume.

You certainly gave us a boatload of marketing buzzwords and phrases:
    • as the lead Toyota protagonist in the mid-sized SUV space.
    • destined to be a focussed off road sport specialty vehicle designed and tasked to confront and surpass
    • monster off-road with a stunning heritage
    • a very special and highly sought after product given its off-road prowess
    • awesome looks and price point
    • In the meantime, the sweet spot for Toyota buyers is the 2023 and 2024 4Runner.
    • They will be the last, affordable fully featured, hand built Japanese utility vehicles made
    • and they will quickly become collectors’ favorites
    • Expect to see limited edition color TRD Pros on the auction block at Barrett-Jackson going for staggering sums.
    The way you have presented your marketing infused 4Runner information seems to be to generate sales of the current model, do you work for a dealership?

22. Jun 14, 2023 at 11:27 AM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Based on what? This sounds like 4Runner fan-boy talk.

All I really care about is Toyota makes a reliable off-roader that's more capable than the current 4Runner and doesn't cost $70-80k. I don't care if they call it the Corolla TrailMinx.

23. Jun 14, 2023 at 11:41 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

I didn't see where this was published? I thought it was just speculation. :notsure:

Of course, it would make sense, as the Prado has been the more off-road capable version of the Landcruiser where it has been available. But, they're going to have to do better than the outgoing Prado if they actually want to compete with Jeep.

24. Jun 14, 2023 at 12:35 PM
    TexasFunRunner

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    SUV
    Much of it has been speculation, but much of it has been based on fact. Some of the information has been from verified industry insiders and Toyota insiders, as we have heard from @Carmaker1.

One whisper I recently heard was the month of the Land Cruiser reveal. Now when I heard one of the Toyota youtubers repeat this same month, in a recent video, it gave me confirmation of what I was told. Interestingly, he has since taken down the video, you have to assume someone politely asked him to. This gave further credence to the whisper I was told. Since I know schedules can and do change, and to protect the source, in my posts I simply say, Land Cruiser Reveal: Fall 2023.

Every auto manufacturer runs shadow marketing campaigns, long before official information is brought to light, this is how they generate buzz. You typically find a few manufacturers' representatives are anonymous members on the forums and other social media. Some of us enthusiasts are in the right place at the right time to be receptive to whispers.

nimby[OP] likes this.
  25. Jun 14, 2023 at 1:00 PM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    :D I am so glad you don't work in toyota product team. Toyota corolla trailminx :p

26. Jun 14, 2023 at 1:02 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I think I'll just wait until Toyota releases it before I get excited. All of the speculation is too much of a rollercoaster.

If the 4Runner is to be reduced to mall duty, I don't see why they would even bother making it. OTOH, if they're going to make it a little more stripped down, (like a Tacoma wagon as the original 4Runner was), I might be a little more enthusiastic.

Doglover2003 likes this.
  27. Jun 14, 2023 at 1:04 PM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:

While we are at it....
    Toyota brings diesel LC to US.
    Because...why not.

28. Jun 14, 2023 at 1:14 PM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    This!
    I am seriously wondering why are we not discussing what happens to 4R in light of LC news. Right now Toyota SUV lineup has:

bz4z
    venza
    RAV4 (ice/hybrid/electric)
    highlander (ice/hybrid)
    grand highlander (ice/hybrid)
    4Runner
    corolla cross (hybrid)
    sequoia

With addition of LC, are they not diluting and cannibalizing sales of 4R? I guess one would wait and see the price point. Maybe LC is too expensive for many folks and they continue to buy 4R.
    Only that does not make sense to me. If they price it similar to what previous LC cost, would they not get same result in terms of lackluster sales, and having to ultimately shelve it from US market? Many here are saying LC will compete with Bronco -- how? Bronco starts at 34K. If we are to believe LC costs 70K who the F is going to buy it if their budget is 30-40K.

I suspect there are major changes with 4R product coming. They have to seriously make it cheaper, reduce number of trims to make it "fit" in the new lineup. Being a conservative company they don't rock the boat too much, so 4R being a good selling SUV, I am not sure how they can do it.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Jun 14, 2023 at 1:15 PM
    TexasFunRunner

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    SUV
    Yes, I get the roller coaster, but no one has said the 4Runner is getting reduced to mall duty. The new model will be evolutionary, as in evolve, to get better at all it is known to do.

30. Jun 14, 2023 at 1:21 PM
    TexasFunRunner

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    SUV
    The LC price point will come down, targeted at the Bronco Badlands and Jeep Rubicon level. That gives plenty of air below for 4Runner to continue to have a full range of trims. Even if some trims overlap, it does not matter, one is street focused and one is off-road focused.

nimby[OP] likes this.
To Top