1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2024 head end unit question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 4R Florida, Feb 13, 2024.

1. Apr 7, 2024 at 3:44 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R Off Road
    That's not as bad as I expected. Sort of an automatic loudness function plus a peak at 630 Hz to try to address the problem with the door and dash speakers both having response problems there.

Did you have ASL off the whole time?

As I said, no guarantee that others will have the same results, but interesting nonetheless.

2. Apr 7, 2024 at 3:46 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    Everything is null and nothing is enabled.

The consequence as you increase the volume is you lose all body, and end up just hearing midrange. I try to set my system up to play well at Volume 25 while trying to keep Siri from being insanely in my teeth. It's a balancing act.

4R Florida[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 7, 2024 at 3:49 PM
    4R Florida

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R Off Road
    Good to know. I actually think I could work with what you measured if mine ends up being similar. As for the rear, it looks like (from the other thread) a set of separate components in the tailgate is the answer, with the tweeters dropped about 6 dB and raised up to the extent possible. Either that or a plain old 6.5" driver and no tweeter.

4. Apr 7, 2024 at 4:30 PM
    4R Florida

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R Off Road
    It's like having an automatic loudness control that you can't disable. It has its uses. I can work with that just fine if mine turns out the same. I can tune the speakers at normal listening level and then see what happens as the volume goes down. The only place I ever care about the sound quality anyway is at the one volume level where I do 98% of listening. I'll tune the crossovers at that volume setting and to accomodate the possible peak in the 630 Hz range. It should be ok.

As for the rear, it looks like (from the other thread) a set of separate components in the tailgate is the answer, with the tweeters dropped about 6 dB and mounted higher to the extent possible. I'm just going to bypass the rear door speakers. They are closer to the ear than they should be in my opinion and it's a series connection with the tailgate, so no loss of efficiency will occur.

The 2024 head end unit seems to have enough power for many people, if efficient speakers are used, and that is key. Some of the speakers I have looked at have terrible efficiency because they are expecting people to power them with an amplifier. Also, in my FJ Cruiser, I ran a real power wire and matching ground wire directly to the head end unit. It is an amplifier after all, and nobody would expect even a low power amp to do anything with a 22 AWG power wire. It was a significant improvement in the FJ.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024

Products Discussed in

To Top