1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 sr5 clunking noise while braking? 100k miles

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by alexG, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Jun 19, 2024 at 2:02 PM
    alexG

alexG [OP] New Member

Member:
    Should it be greased with a grease gun? Also I don’t think its coz of the noise since it’s front and not engaged.

2. Jun 19, 2024 at 4:43 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    If you want to get a sense of backlash and where it’s coming from, engage 4wd. The gears have some lash, but the u-joints shouldn’t. And you’re right, the front shaft is not engaged in 2wd, therefore it’s hard to imagine how that would be your clunking.

Yes you should grease the zerks, but I don’t think the front or rear shafts would make such a distinct sharp sound like in your video. There was a bit high notes in your clunk. Like something near the brakes shifting in a way that makes the brake heat-shield ring a bit. Could all be in my head though.

alexG[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 20, 2024 at 6:51 AM
    alexG

alexG [OP] New Member

Member:
    Makes sense. Yes, it’s on the higher note. I actually thought it was the brake heat shield as well, but after inspection, everything looked good. The sound almost appears to come from both wheels simultaneously. The brake pads are cheap, so it would be a good starting point to replace those.

4. Jun 20, 2024 at 4:58 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    I mean, if you need brake pads, sure replace them. If it’s brakes causing that clunk, check the pins, make sure the spring clips are correctly oriented when you reinstall it, and retorque the caliper mounting bolts to make sure it’s not that. Might as well purchase all new shims/hardware if you’ve concluded it’s the brakes.

While the wheels are off, you could also inspect all the big stuff. Since you can’t visually tell if the LCAs are correctly torqued, you might as well go through the bolt tightening procedure and set it to the required torque. You’ll need a torque wrench that will go to 200ftlbs (I don’t recall the torque spec, but it’s above 100). The upper control arms I recall were impossible to get a torque wrench on them though, so roughing torque might be the best you can do.

alexG[OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 27, 2024 at 5:55 AM
    alexG

alexG [OP] New Member

Member:

So, I replaced the front pads yesterday. The first thing that caught my eye was that the inner pads had a lot less wear on them. Upon inspection, it seems like both inner bottom caliper pistons were seized. I had a hard time pushing them back in. When I applied the brakes, all pistons compressed except for the bottom ones. I think what was causing the noise was the inner pads floating inside the caliper and only getting pressure from the top piston, which is strange—I would expect my steering wheel to vibrate during braking.

After applying the new pads, there was no noise. However, after taking it for a ride, I now have the steering wheel shaking when applying the brakes, and one side of the wheel was super hot. Perhaps I need new calipers. Does anyone know any good brands that are not OEM? I've heard Raybestos are well made.

6. Jun 27, 2024 at 6:12 AM
    Strongarm

Strongarm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner
    Try bamwholesale.com They have factory parts that are cheaper than the dealer. Less problems than aftermarket. Otherwise you need a rebuilt/remanufactured one. Find a good local part store in case you need to replace it. Sometimes reman calipers can give you trouble.

alexG[OP] likes this.
  7. Jun 27, 2024 at 6:18 AM
    Strongarm

Strongarm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner
  8. Jun 27, 2024 at 10:12 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    If you go with OE pads, there is a cheaper budget line, and a factory replacement pad. Both are OE and come in Toyota packaging. Not sure if the more expensive ones are worth it, but I bought the cheaper ones and noticed they had more initial bite than the ones that came from the factory. Actually, they were super touchy for the first thousand miles.

Regarding the calipers, I would go with the Toyota calipers if the budget stretches that far. Otherwise, something with a good warranty. Good luck, hopefully you can get this all done easily!

alexG[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 20, 2024 at 10:55 AM
    alexG

alexG [OP] New Member

Member:

10. Jul 20, 2024 at 8:23 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    173 dollars a pair seems like a great price.

Products Discussed in

To Top