1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trip Report. SD>Joshua Tree>Big Bear

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Nutmegtheref, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Apr 28, 2024 at 6:17 AM
    Nutmegtheref

Nutmegtheref [OP] ****

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    IMG_4789.jpg

Annual April road trip with the boys. Last year was The Mojave Trail. This year we kept it closer and stayed within 3 hours of San Diego. Still found some incredible stuff and a reminder that So Cal has awesome diversity in such a small area. Ocean, mountains and desert are all right there for the taking.

Day one we left Pacific Beach for Joshua Tree. 7 friends, 3 rigs. Drove to Temecula and then east through Anza/Piñon Pines before dropping into Coachella Valley at Palm Desert. Navigated through the valley to the town of Coachella where we gassed up, aired down and got on dirt about Noon.

IMG_6474.jpg

We were headed to a group camp site we reserved in Joshua Tree for the night and wanted to take the 4x4 trail trough Berdoo canyon. Great drive from the desert valley up into the park. A little bit of road and a pit stop in 29 Palms got us to our campsite at 5:30.

IMG_4076.jpg

Epic JT night in a killer site. No wind and super mild conditions. Slept in my 4Runner with the lift gate open all night. Coffee and light breakfast before taking off again.

IMG_6480.jpg
    Quick aside - forgot gas for my jet boil but absolutely needed coffee. Did you know you could boil water in empty pacifico bottles and pour them into your French Press? Worked perfectly. Crisis avoided!

IMG_6482.jpg

Drove to pioneer town and onto dirt again and headed for Big Bear via Burns Canyon and rattlesnake canyon trail. Super fun ride. Took our time with multiple stops and features to play on. Got up to BB and had a late lunch in town before driving to friends house in Lake Arrowhead. We were going to camp in BB but it was cold, damp and foggy so we took the civilized option.

IMG_6485.jpg

IMG_6505.jpg

IMG_6487.jpg
    Woke and hit the road at 8:30. Less than a mile from the house was a 4x4 trail that went all the way down the mountain to Silverwood Lake where we could jump on the 15 and head home. Took about 2 hours to but the pavement again but was a beautiful route and nice way to spend the last morning.

IMG_6493.jpg IMG_6492.jpg

Left Thursday AM. Home Saturday at 2:30pm. So nice to have Sunday to relax and clean up.

4Runner ran great and always performs. Time to spend some money on a thorough detail. A muddy baja trip last month and this one makes for a happy but dirty Toyota.
    IMG_6496.jpg

2. Apr 28, 2024 at 8:16 AM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    Outstanding! Beautiful pictures, thanks for posting!

3. Apr 28, 2024 at 8:48 AM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Looks like a fun and scenic adventure.

4. Apr 28, 2024 at 1:17 PM
    dand

dand New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner ORP
    Joshua Tree is on my bucket!

Beautiful pics!

Thanks!

5. Apr 28, 2024 at 4:59 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    I recognize all those trails and pics since they were in my "back yard" when we lived in SoCal.
    Another beautiful day above the IE.

6. Apr 28, 2024 at 5:02 PM
    gomiami

gomiami I Bought a Luxury Station Wagon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SE of Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lexus GX460 Nightfall Mica
    Husky front mudflaps, Canvasback full cargo and bench seat liners, "Not legal in California" patch.
    Since those are places I will never go to, I appreciate the pictures.

Products Discussed in

To Top