1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear window relay fixed

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Fauxferret, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Mar 27, 2024 at 10:50 AM
    Fauxferret

Fauxferret [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1990 SR5 4x4 “Ruby the Runna”
    Mostly OEM restoration in progress
    So there seems to be a lot of issues possible with the rear window. Mine would go down no problem going up it was intermittent. Had to get the rear door rekeyed before I could even use that option. I was stuck using the center console button. Got this thing back in December. It had sat for almost three years.

long story short after doing all the “easy” fixes. I decided to pull the rear driver quarter panel and get to the relay box. Found some replacements on Amazon. With soldering iron in hand and a few beers the rear window works flawlessly. Hope this helps with anyone else who’s been having these issues.

Just for reference the relays are marked on the board with a RY prefix and then what number they are.

From my little electrical knowledge RY3 is window up, RY4 is window down, RY5,6 I think are for the rear washer fluid and RY1,2 I think are for the rear wiper to make sure it is fully set before allowing the window to go down.

I only replaced relay 3 which is circled in red. I know some people will ask why I didn't replace them all well honestly these components are original made in Japan and I don't see a need to replace them at the moment. I can't attest to the quality of the new ones yet. They're marked made in Thailand and Panasonic brand. But it's Amazon so probably made from the cheapest Chineseium out there. I'm not immediately going to reinstall the rear panels I'm going to put new speakers and do some other work as well to the rear carpet. They were about $9 for 2, I ordered 4 just in case. I like to keep parts on hand, also if you ever take the power window boards out to clean the contacts I think they use the same relay in there as well. It's cheaper to find a relay than a whole new board IMO. Fun fact if your passenger windows are intermittent. Take the board out get some fine steel wool or metal polish and some isopropyl alcohol and clean the carbon and crap off the contacts. Got stuck with my drivers side window down and this fixed it. I'll do write up of that later if anyone wants it.

Here's the link to the relays on amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1MC1H61

The relay I replaced is circled in red.
    IMG_9961.jpg IMG_9962.jpg

IMG_9961.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  2. Mar 28, 2024 at 3:40 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Good work. I just replaced the entire box. Got a used one off of ebay for $45.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Fauxferret[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 28, 2024 at 6:23 PM
    Renegade15

Renegade15 New Member

Member:
    Looking forward to the rest of your writeup. I was able to get used one that works from a salvage yard. But I keep my old one thinking I’d fix it to keep for a spare. Did the exact same thing, went down, would only go up after many attempts.

4. Mar 30, 2024 at 3:54 PM
    2ndGen22re

2ndGen22re Goldie, my 1st love & my new kid…

Member:
    First Name:
    CR
    Carson Valley, NV
    Vehicle:
    1990 22RE & 22 AG ORP KDSS
    One-at-this-price stripper. Bought new 34 yrs ago, a $13K leftover. Added Detroit TruTrac, 1”rear spring spacer and “pinstripes”… Factory AC kit and roof rack bought at dealer cost at time of purchase, still blows ice cold 32yrs later. 2022 AG ORP all stock.
    Barnyard fix that works.
    Dremel the top of the plastic relay covers off and burnish the relay contacts with a strip(s) of sandpaper.
    “The handyman’s secret weapon”….duct tape the top of the relays closed.
    I did this 9 years ago, the window still works great and will be easier to do the next time.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  5. Apr 3, 2024 at 7:15 AM
    Fauxferret

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I only found one 4runner in a pick and pull around me and it had been rat f***ed something awful. Didn't have a battery and half the front end was gone so not really an option to get the rear window down to get it. I may in the future go back and mess with it to pull spare trim panels I'll be sure to get the box if I can. I figure spare parts on hand are better to have. My interior is a rare burgandy red apparently so finding color matched panels is near impossible. So I guess I'm stuck with painting or dyeing them in the future.

6. Apr 3, 2024 at 7:18 AM
    Fauxferret

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I completely understand that.

7. Apr 25, 2024 at 11:00 AM
    Akron

Akron New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    93 4Runner 22RE SR5
    Bone stock
    How difficult is it to change the relay? I have the exact same problem-window won’t go up. Everything else works. I tried the junk yard route on eBay and got two bad ones in a row. I’m getting tired of tearing the panels off of the car to get at the relay.

8. Apr 25, 2024 at 11:34 AM
    Fauxferret

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Honestly depends on your patience and soldering skills. I'm iffy about used electronics especially if they haven't been tested. I wouldn't get rid of the spare boxes you bought though. Normally replacing the relay is quick but the one in my box took a bit more time than I want to admit to unsolder. After that though the new one was quick to put in. 30-45 minutes if what I would say it would take. Are you having issues using both the key to put it back up and the switch from inside? I ask that because while possible to get two bad boxes in a row it might be a switch or wiring issue as well. The relay was cheaper than buying or scrounging for a used box at least from what I saw around here. I am by no means an expert when it comes to electrical work. But I know a lot of the switches and contacts on the control surfaces get corrosion and carbon buildup. I had to tear apart the master window and lock control panel to get my window to go back up. Took about 4 hours total but it was wayyyyy cheaper than finding a whole new panel.

9. Apr 25, 2024 at 1:04 PM
    Akron

Akron New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    93 4Runner 22RE SR5
    Bone stock
    Well, the window goes down fine using both the console switch and the rear key. Many tries with either I can get the window to go up. Everything else works except the window up function. I live in Alaska so I was afraid to use the window all winter for fear it would not go up at all. Everything worked fine for as long as I have owned the car (at least 10 years). It started doing this in the fall, so it’s been a long winter. Now that it’s warming up, I can open the garage door and spread out. I tried the two eBay relays in the fall and gave up at the start of the winter. Thankfully both vendors refunded my money.

Ron

10. Apr 25, 2024 at 9:06 PM
    Fauxferret

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Akron sent you a message. It likely is the relay. But I’ll send you one of my spares if it helps. Being in Alaska it’s a pain to get stuff up there.

11. Apr 27, 2024 at 2:32 PM
    Akron

Akron New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    93 4Runner 22RE SR5
    Bone stock
    Wow! Thanks! I’m definitely interested. I’m not sure how to share my address with you. I’m not comfortable posting it on the site. I’m new to the site.

Products Discussed in

To Top