1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Sway after mild Lift

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 615runner, May 9, 2024.

1. May 9, 2024 at 6:16 AM
    615runner

615runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2019 offroad premiun
    I installed a dobinsons twin tube lift 2nonths ago with JBA front UCAs and front and rear dobinsons springs. I got 2 inches of lift up front and 1.5 inches in the rear.

I've noticed that when I go over a rough area at a decent speed (35ish) that I can feel the Rear end sway to the side just slightly. I really only notice it when I go over a patch of pavement on my commute where dump tricks have tore it up. I don't feel like I'm going to lose control but it is noticeable. I searched and read that this may be the panhard bar not being aligned anymore. I also read that this shouldn't be an issue on less than 2 inches of lift in the rear. Do I need a panhard correction kit or adjustable panhard bar? I also was curious if it was the drivers side lean. I am .5 inches lower on the driver's side front.

2. May 9, 2024 at 9:02 AM
    crashdb

crashdb How Did I Get Here?

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD-OR-P
    Little Tree Air Freshener
    I have the OME BP-51 components on mine. I can't remember what their advertised lift is, and I didn't measure. Anyway, I noticed the rear end jiggles in the first 10 minutes. I did the panhard bar correction, and it vastly improved it.

Toy4X4 and Harringbr99 like this.
  3. May 9, 2024 at 11:27 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    It sounds like spring rates are too high, causing the rear to hop over bumps instead of absorbing them.

4. May 9, 2024 at 12:07 PM
    crashdb

crashdb How Did I Get Here?

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD-OR-P
    Little Tree Air Freshener
    Good thing you brought that up! I completely forgot I had gotten medium load springs for future-proofing. Guess that kind of makes my response null and void. Very sorry!

5. May 9, 2024 at 12:56 PM
    615runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2019 offroad premiun
    I have the lightest duty spring rates from dobinsons. I know they are still higher than oem though. It's not a rough ride but I rarely carry anything at all back there so maybe that is it.

6. May 9, 2024 at 12:58 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I have a 1.5 lift and can feel that very slight/momentary sideways push on some bumps. I don’t think it’s worth correcting though.

The way I understand it, the panhard moves in an arc. Half way through the travel range of the rear suspension, the axle is furthest towards driver’s side, and it moves slightly towards the passenger side when it moves more towards the compressed or extended travel range of the axle.

At stock height, the axle is sitting slightly on the “compressed” end of the overall range. When you hit a bump, the arc of the axle means it move only towards the passenger side.

when you lift the suspension, now the axle sits at the slightly above the midpoint of the arc. When you hit a bump, the axle’s travel arc first moves it towards the drivers side, then it crosses the center of the arc, then it changes direction and the panhard moves the axle to the passenger side. It’s the quick change in direction when the arc moves over-center that causes that feeling of sideway acceleration. That makes it feel like the back end jiggles side to side on bumps.

Stoney Ranger and 1SilverRunner like this.
  7. May 9, 2024 at 1:46 PM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar *coming soon Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken AT4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. MinWin End Caps Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Performance: Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Garmin Dash Cam Mini II with Dongar power solution Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II Scosche phone mount Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic Awning 6.5' AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    ^This

Take a look under the rig and see if your panhard bar/ trackbar is level. If it's not level, a simple solution is the BOTCK
    https://drkdss.com/products/bopck-bolt-on-pan-hard-correction-kit

I have this kit and it corrected the track bar geometry for 3" of lift. There is a weld in solutions from Eimkeith as well if you prefer that route.

Like @McSpazatron said though, for 1.5" of lift it may not be worth correcting.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  8. May 9, 2024 at 1:55 PM
    TRDSD

TRDSD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road Premium
    It's called bump steer. As recommended above, take a quick pic underneath of your rear axle, so we can see how level your lanyard/track bar is sitting. Let's start there.

9. May 10, 2024 at 9:47 AM
    615runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2019 offroad premiun
    Here's some images of my panhard bar. I didn't have time to remove my spare so it may be hard to tell but my panhard bar is definitely higher frame side according to the level.

20240510_114141.jpg20240510_114254.jpg 20240510_114254.jpg

1SilverRunner likes this.
  10. May 10, 2024 at 9:48 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar *coming soon Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken AT4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. MinWin End Caps Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Performance: Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Garmin Dash Cam Mini II with Dongar power solution Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II Scosche phone mount Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic Awning 6.5' AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    BOTCK will solve that.

Treggit likes this.
  11. May 10, 2024 at 12:35 PM
    615runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2019 offroad premiun
    I'll look into it. Thanks!

I may also just ignore it now as it seems it's not hurting anything.

1SilverRunner[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. May 10, 2024 at 12:38 PM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    It won’t hurt anything at all. It will just solve that “sway” feeling you described

13. May 10, 2024 at 1:05 PM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    Throw a couple hundred pounds back there, and see how it handles.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  14. May 10, 2024 at 1:14 PM
    TRDSD

TRDSD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road Premium
    Your panhard/track bar angle doesn't look awful, but I'd like to see how high it truly is on the other side. Can't see it with the tire in the way. That being said, the shorty BOTCK would even things out, but you're not at a crazy angle like some people.

15. May 11, 2024 at 4:30 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Adjustable panhard bar would take care of the sway. It's probably the easiest solution. You may have to play with the adjustment to get it right, you know, a couple of trial and error times. The spots you're talking about must be pretty rough to get the panhard to move that much. We have +2" in the rear, it doesn't put up a fuss, lucky I guess.

Products Discussed in

To Top