1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Add heated and modern steering wheel to your 4Runner!

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Rob41, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Mar 29, 2024 at 4:19 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 [OP] Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    So I already had a heated steering wheel in my 2023 ORP 4Runner, but wanted to have the whole wheel heated rather than just a portion on each side. I was also jealous of some of the new steering wheels coming out on some of the new OEM's.

Enter the Heated steering wheel from Cartrimhome. It looked good in the pics and honestly, it looks and feels much better in person. Comparing the CThome with the OEM the CThome feels just as quality if not better. They are listed for 2010 to 2022 4Runners but mine is a 2023 and it installed perfectly.

It took me about an hour to install and everything works exactly as it should. It heats up just as fast as OEM and gets just as warm except it warms up all the way around the wheel. It is fatter and is very much shaped like the performance style found on some of the higher end vehicles.

These are offered heated or unheated, colored stitching or black and any color combination you could want. I went with the all black wheel with red stitching and red top center marker.

Here is the link to configure and buy the steering wheel: https://cartrimhome.com/Heated-Stee...XlG4r7y7yGJS1z8PFUL4ho3ejj9k5w51QlgTnFbwhJkTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etL-KEvG_cw

Here's a few pics after my install today:

IMG_2987 Large.jpg IMG_2989 Large.jpg IMG_2990 Large.jpg IMG_2991 Large.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  2. Mar 29, 2024 at 4:24 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Looks good but I'm waiting on the version without the ricer stripe. I wish there was an option for paddles.

Doglover2003 and TRD5thgenner like this.
  3. Mar 29, 2024 at 4:25 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 [OP] Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    You can get it without the "ricer stripe" (alignment stripe). ;) Paddles would be sweet.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  4. Mar 29, 2024 at 4:27 PM
    Stephan07

Stephan07 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Pricing?????

5. Mar 29, 2024 at 4:30 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 [OP] Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
  6. Mar 29, 2024 at 4:40 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    I'm behind on the YT videos but I remember Sevag mentioning it would be a future option.

Yeah they would be nice for use offroad so you don't have to take a hand off the wheel.

Rob41[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 29, 2024 at 4:47 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 [OP] Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I should send and email and mention it to Sevag, he may decide to get it developed if there is enough interest. I have a feeling my mileage would go down, lol.

I think paddles might work if the transmission is already set to sport mode.

8. Mar 29, 2024 at 5:10 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I would only want them functioning in S mode.

9. Mar 29, 2024 at 5:47 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 [OP] Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    For reference here is a picture of my 23 ORP heated wheel (7,400 miles on the odometer) next to the new Heated steering wheel:

IMG_2993.jpg IMG_2972.jpg

10. Mar 30, 2024 at 5:26 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Random cartrimhome steering wheel..what could go wrong.

Crash worthiness, with airbag deployment.
    Then more superficially, thinking of Tesla steering wheels with peeling surfaces, after a few years of use.

I am sure they tested thoroughly in a 5g, in various longevity and crash scenarios…(sarcasm) yeah doubt it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    4runner262, Lc200 and semprenissart like this.
  11. Mar 30, 2024 at 6:18 AM
    semprenissart

semprenissart Mèfi

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Pro (MGM)
    Westcott Sliders. Gobi no rise
    not just that, but if I recall, there are other "safety" concerns, unless the cartrimhome steering wheel has been updated? (I havent followed anything on it)

See below

Old Red[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Mar 30, 2024 at 6:58 AM
    Rob41

Rob41 [OP] Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I'm guessing they do about the same amount of crash testing as most of the other aftermarket steering wheel manufacturers. I've installed a supercharger, lift kit and aftermarket wheels with oversized tires. I guess I'm just a crazy radical living on the edge. Maybe I'll add a tune, 800 lbs of overland gear and do some dicey off roading next ;)

13. Mar 30, 2024 at 7:08 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Next mod is to get an interior molle panel and velcro an axe and fire extinguisher, right behind your head, to compliment the sus airbag situation up front

do they make aftermarket seat belt, in matching red color? Some people would be all over them cartrimhome seat belt mod

14. Mar 30, 2024 at 7:13 AM
    Rob41

Rob41 [OP] Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Lots of happy customers out there. Here's a few pics of some others:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg IMG_2989 Medium.jpg

15. Mar 30, 2024 at 7:17 AM
    ToyotFan

ToyotFan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    Does it work with the OEM switch? I like the heated steering wheel but do wish it was 360 degrees like in my wife’s GMC.

16. Mar 30, 2024 at 7:22 AM
    Rob41

Rob41 [OP] Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Yes and no. Because mine already had the OEM heated wheel, I could have retained the OEM clock spring and factory switch. However, I'd have had to replace one four pin connector and replacing the pin outs. In the interest of time yesterday, I chose to just do the complete install. If I ever have an issue with an electronic function from any of the steering column switches, I'll go ahead and change out the connector and reinstall the original clock spring. They have had other steering wheels prior to this and in their forums I haven't seen where there has been any real issues so I suspect I'll be running like it is for a long time.

17. Mar 30, 2024 at 8:08 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Yeah unofficial mods directly involving the safety features of the car is objectively a terrible idea.. esp from sus sources

Old Red likes this.
  18. Mar 30, 2024 at 10:27 PM
    Old Red

Old Red New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner SR5 4x4 MGM & 1994 Pickup 4WD Garnett Pearl
    It's a long list...
    This thread reads like a sales pitch for CTH (no disrespect for the OP).

My patience for CTH and their hype man has run out pretty recently given their repeated attempts to access my information. You all need to be aware of what you are actually buying and replacing OEM parts with. If you are cool with that, by all means go ahead. You are all adults here, so you can draw your own conclusions about the truthfulness of CTH's frontman and his statements. Links are attached for you to do your own reading and draw your own conclusions.
    Your OEM parts must meet strict criteria from Toyota for safety and QDR (quality, durability, reliability) and come from legitimate manufacturers like Panasonic (Clock spring, steering angle sensor) and Toyoda Gosei Co. (All Toyota steering wheels), not a no name supplier.

Toyoda Gosei Co. https://www.toyoda-gosei.com/seihin/naigaisou/

Panasonic Automotive https://automotive.panasonic.com/en

The CTH heated wheel:https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...offerlist.normal_offer.d_title.7bbe2e73DYB4aP

Hmm... I guess it's already offered in black, wasn't there a up charge for that?
    Steering Wheel.png

The CTH replacement clock spring (you know... that part of your SRS airbag system that is responsible for triggering the airbag ignitor charge aimed at your face/the driver's face in the event of an accident). Yes, the break off tab is orange, the manufacturer makes them in green as well, look at the other ones they offer:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.shop_plser.41413.2.5b3263879jusjC

Clockspring.png

There are folks in this community that actively strive to understand our vehicles, design useful products, and come up with unique solutions all while doing right by each other regardless if it's help on a project, an issue that came up during a repair, or feedback on people who take advantage of the community then duck (Pelfreybuilt, etc.). This is an attempt to inform people. What you do with said info is up to you.

19. Mar 30, 2024 at 11:13 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane

Well written! Thank you your contribution!

semprenissart and Steely123 like this.
  20. Mar 31, 2024 at 5:26 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    A lot of money to replace a steering wheel that already works fine and will last the life of the truck. Just for a little more or differently-placed warmth, and maybe aesthetics?

Yobruhitsme likes this.
  21. Mar 31, 2024 at 5:34 AM
    Steely123

Steely123 What's the new trend? I'll do it!

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner SR5 premium
    I don't personally have a need for the heated steering wheel in central Texas, but see the convenience since we have it on our lexus.

To each his own on doing the swap. It's your money and truck. I do stuff that others consider useless to my truck also.

I don't have an issue with CTH, But I wanted to back up Old Red and say whatever you, do your research and do it safely.

semprenissart likes this.
  22. Mar 31, 2024 at 5:36 AM
    Rob41

Rob41 [OP] Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:

First, let me say I am not associated with Cartrimhome in any way. I'm a civilian mariner who is a Chief Engineer aboard a U.S. Navy ship. Since purchasing my 2023 ORP 4Runner, I have bought several items from them including their heads up display.

I have had zero issues with them and have never encountered any information mining from them ever. Their so'called "frontman as you put it, has forums for members who buy his products and is always helpful and gracious with everyone.

I would suggest you exercise caution as the claims you are making could very well be see as defamatory in court.

-Cartrim home is not Alibaba

-That steering wheel you linked to is not the steering wheel sold by Cartrimhome

People are certainly free to choose to buy or not, but You seem to have gone to great lengths to cause harm to Cartrimhome and their "frontman" with false information that has the potential to cause you legal trouble.

23. Mar 31, 2024 at 6:09 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Court? Lol

CTh, alibaba different fronts for the same industry of cheaply made products. It’s fine for spatulas and imitation crocs.

It’s barely serviceable for sourcing reliable android head units (e.g. unacceptable delay after vehicle startup, before showing backup camera). The fact that someone would trust this aftermarket industry for reliable and safe airbag deployment is mind blowing.

Ignore the airbag deployment for a sec, just focus on the aftermarket plastic clock spring. You trust a radom ass cth part to use the same durable plastics as oem, to last through many years of extreme heat and freeze cycles the vehicle is exposed to? Just think people…

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  24. Mar 31, 2024 at 6:40 AM
    Lc200

Lc200 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Facelift SR5P
    Rightly said! Something about the person who promotes CTH on YouTube makes me skeptical.
    I could have gotten his radio unit that he so aggressively promotes, but I am not open to putting a Chinese tablet in my car with Internet and cell phone connectivity.
    If it's some thing as mundane as a front grill, I would not hesitate. But anything revolving around connectivity or essential components like a steering wheel, it's either OEM or parts made by manufacturers that match or exceed OEM specifications.

steelevo and semprenissart like this.
  25. Mar 31, 2024 at 7:43 AM
    Old Red

Old Red New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    It's a long list...

First, as stated in my previous post, there is no disrespect intended to you as the original poster. Part of the reason I am not fond of the text medium is that so much nonverbal context get's lost in translation. Thank you for your service, and please stay safe!

This is meant to be an informational post, and is meant to educate the community on what is actually being sold to them. There is legal liability (varies by state to state law, but most are similar) if you modify any vehicle safety system and it does not operate as intended in the event of an accident.

If you think providing that information somehow harms the party who has intentionally misrepresented said product, then you are well within your right. You may find that most do not share that position.

Here is what is true:

Every single item sold by CTH you can find on Alibaba for much less. CTH came about circa 2018 or 2019 and originally started out as a guy on the forums pushing a Alibaba radio. Notice how none of that takes place on the forums anymore. Probably a reason for that.

CartrimHome is a reseller for products directly sourced via Alibaba. You talk about legal terms, but in order for something to be defamation it has to be untrue.

The steering wheel I linked is sold by CartrimHome, as that is the manufacturer of their wheel heater, and likely wheel. Doesn't matter the color of the leather they choose to wrap it in or the grip pads underneath. Here is a picture of the PCB of the CarTrimHome heated wheel controller from another related thread. Notice "OHCSWS".

PCB.png
    Steering Wheel.png

Additionally, here's another manufacturer listing the exact wheel, and boy those photos look pretty familiar down to the green tab.

Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 7.51.49 AM.png

Here's the HUD. There was another individual besides CTH that was making a big deal about this being an exclusive product to their brand.

HUD.png

raimieb and steelevo like this.
  26. Mar 31, 2024 at 8:33 AM
    Steely123

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner SR5 premium
    not really sure of this needs to be an argument. Lol. Not sure if it was meant to be in the first place.

None the less, press much ALL of the US economy are resellers and don't build their own stuff. 4runnerlifestyle, yota expedition, etc. Hell even Apple uses Samsung OLED screens.

Cool we're all entitled to opinions of that's bad or not. But safety is safety and again research is key.

i do A LOT of things that the majority here think is worthless. Cool my money and my truck. Put a heated steering on if you want.

Old Red likes this.
  27. Mar 31, 2024 at 8:42 AM
    Old Red

Old Red New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    It's a long list...

Precisely, no argument here. This wasn't intended to be, simply here's factual info, do what you will.

Safety is the core of the reason, know what you are putting into your vehicle. If you are cool with it, more power to you, just be informed so that if stuff goes awry you know why.

Please tell me that "my money, my truck" is actually a sticker? I'd put that on a toolbox.

Steely123[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Mar 31, 2024 at 9:31 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Your money your truck for sure…

but something egregious like replacing oem airbag related parts with no name aftermarket, needs to be called out so reader who come across the content actively consider both sides of the argument.

notice this kind of debate doesn’t come into play for shty fang lights or heritage grill of sus quality.

Old Red and Steely123 like this.
  29. Mar 31, 2024 at 9:51 AM
    Steely123

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner SR5 premium
    Thank you for putting that part. I get the points on both sides. Agreed that no one cares about the lights or grill. Or the 15000 inch tires on the street.

But i will digress. Lol

Old Red likes this.
  30. Mar 31, 2024 at 1:54 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    I think there was a discussion on here one time where it was stated that, if you modified a vehicle safety system such that it no longer met safety standards, and then a subsequent buyer experienced an injury as a result, you could be made liable. Not sure if that’s true but it would be enough to scare me out of it.

Products Discussed in

To Top