1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

US requires new cars have emergency braking systems by 2029

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by 4R777, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Apr 29, 2024 at 5:58 PM
    4R777

4R777 [OP] New Member

Member:
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-require-cars-emergency-braking-233053037.html

TLDR

US to require new cars to have emergency braking systems by 2029
    The NHTSA is requiring all cars and trucks be able to stop and avoid striking vehicles in front of them up to 62 miles per hour. The rule requires the system to apply brakes automatically up to 90 mph when collision with a lead vehicle is imminent, and up to 45 mph when a pedestrian is detected.

========

The new rule comes as traffic deaths have spiked following the COVID-19 lockdowns.

Congress directed the NHTSA in the 2021 infrastructure law to create a rule to establish minimum performance standards for automatic emergency braking (AEB) systems, which use sensors like cameras and radar to detect when a vehicle is close to crashing and then automatically applies brakes if the driver has not done so.

The rule requires that systems detect pedestrians in both daylight and at night. Some small-volume manufacturers will be allowed to comply by September 2030.

The NHTSA in 2023 had proposed requiring nearly all vehicles to comply three years after publication, but automakers are now being given five years.

The NHTSA is requiring all cars and trucks be able to stop and avoid striking vehicles in front of them up to 62 miles per hour. The rule requires the system to apply brakes automatically up to 90 mph when collision with a lead vehicle is imminent, and up to 45 mph when a pedestrian is detected.

U.S. traffic deaths fell by 3.6% in 2023, the second straight yearly decline, but they remain significantly above pre-pandemic levels.

The fatality rate in 2023 was higher than any pre-pandemic year since 2008. In 2022, the number of pedestrians killed rose 0.7% to 7,522, the most since 1981.

In 2016, 20 automakers voluntarily agreed to make automatic emergency braking standard on nearly all U.S. vehicles by 2022. In December 2023, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said all 20 automakers had equipped at least 95% of vehicles with AEB.

2. Apr 29, 2024 at 6:00 PM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Offroad Premium on 35’s
    King 2.5 with resis, C4 Hybrid Front, TC Uppers, Victory Rack, Smitty 12k winch, 17x9 -38 SCS F5’s with 295/70 Ridge Graps
    Great, another vehicle nanny to give people a reason to pay even less attention while driving.

3. Apr 29, 2024 at 6:33 PM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    You guys do realize that you are both driving vehicles that already have this “nanny” right?

4. Apr 29, 2024 at 6:45 PM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    King 2.5 with resis, C4 Hybrid Front, TC Uppers, Victory Rack, Smitty 12k winch, 17x9 -38 SCS F5’s with 295/70 Ridge Graps
    Yes, but given that we live in the age of technology and with the fucktard tech dependent kids being raised these days that have absolutely zero situational awareness, more nannies is not a good thing. We have a saying in the aviation world called “children of the magenta” because these new pilots are so dependent on GPS navigation and the automation modern aircraft provide, they can’t fly a plane without that stuff. My current copilot is a 24 year old who up until a couple months ago couldn’t hand fly the plane to 10,000’. He would call for autopilot at 1000’ and start working the systems. He still cant look out the window and look down and tell us where we are in the country. Too much automation is a bad thing and it creates system dependency and a total lack of situational awareness.

I chalk it all up to the dumbing down of society that’s occurred over the past 20 years.

MI-FL off roader, gomiami and 2Toys like this.
  5. Apr 29, 2024 at 8:32 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I hope somebody sends this memo to Tesla!!!

6. Apr 29, 2024 at 8:38 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    When this did start? My 2021 manual says the version of TSS will prevent or reduce the severity of collisions, and then it lists out a bunch of situations where it may not work as intended. It assumes there is a driver in the seat that will respond to things in the way.

I would think that certifying systems that will stop a car at 90mph are on a whole other level.

These new requirements are quite interesting. Around here, they waived drivers tests to get your first driver’s license. There was no final check of actual skills after required driver training. Perhaps that is the cause of these problems.

In fact, I’m surprised these statistics didn’t get anybody to think that recurrent testing should be required.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    MI-FL off roader likes this.
  7. Apr 29, 2024 at 8:44 PM
    siblue

siblue Well-Known Honda Butt Pirate on GRC forum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    22 GX460 Blackline
    2028 owners be like
    I’m glad I got my 28

Han4Run, TacoGeeloor and brgmmb like this.
  8. Apr 29, 2024 at 10:10 PM
    icebear

icebear Recovering Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Toyota Safety-Sense P (TSS-P) and the Pre-Collision System that's the topic here showed up in the 4Runner for the 2020MY.

gomiami likes this.
  9. Apr 29, 2024 at 11:12 PM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Really? Reject technical innovations ? May as well go with flintstone cars.. delete the airbags… give people less incentive to get into a crash.

Get rid of abs as well? people need to learn to modulate the brakes. /s

nimby and UncleShorty like this.
  10. Apr 29, 2024 at 11:14 PM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    The feature applies the brakes when collision is imminent.

you have a use case for achieving close to a collision without applying brakes?

is it really that intrusive?

11. Apr 30, 2024 at 12:28 AM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    Why can't they be this active in shit I actually care about like outlawing red turn signals and not having antiquated lighting standards?

Can they do something about the stuff that's actually a problem on the road right now, like the numerous vehicles for sale right now with headlights that blind drivers? The US is still in last place for lighting standards, we can't get the more accurate laser headlights that have a sharp cutoff despite it being proven at reducing the danger of blinding people at night. But no, lets mandate undeveloped technology that will further make cars more expensive.

The reasons for higher pedestrian deaths is well known, it's hood design. The current popular style of machismo grill design that is overly high up pushes a pedestrian out and down under the car, not only that it hits at chest and head level for more severe injuries even before considering they'll also get run over more likely than with previous cars. The lack of nanny tech isn't the problem, we had fewer deaths in eras without nanny tech, so clearly there is more at play.

2Toys likes this.
  12. Apr 30, 2024 at 1:28 AM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Defensive drivers will not create a situation for this stupid tech to kick in. Can we suspend the driver's license for 3 years afterwards when the car has to brake at 90 mph? Like what the hell the driver was doing, like sleeping while doing 90?

Trident904 likes this.
  13. Apr 30, 2024 at 1:36 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    In this day and age, anything that gives people a reason to have their phone in their face is not good. I’m not saying that’s what the tech’s purpose is, I’m saying that people are becoming dumber and less aware of the world around them because of all the tech. Look at the number of rear end collisions that occur on interstate highways now compared to 20 years ago. Too many “heads down” distractions in vehicles. Instead of mandating expensive vehicle features, how about enforcing distracted driving? It’s illegal in most states to have your phone in your hand while driving but it rarely gets enforced.

Automation is good to an extent and I feel like the current nannies we have are too much. Look at when all these things started being mandated and then take a look at when smart phones started getting more advanced. It’s not hard to put 2 and 2 together. Hell, the other day, I passed a lady on the highway who was watching a movie on an iPad attached to her steering wheel. SMH. Why are we so quick to accept and compensate for idiocy? There’s absolutely zero personal accountability anymore. The acceptance and tolerance of human mediocrity is a problem and creating tech as a compensation for the failures of society’s last 20 years is not the fix.

I teach SA (Situational Awareness) techniques class at a local flight school a couple times a month when I’m not on trips. It never ceases to amaze me how the 18-30 somethings struggle with basic analysis of the immediate world around them. Many of them can’t stand outside and tell you which way is north without pulling their phone out.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    MI-FL off roader and 2Toys like this.
  14. Apr 30, 2024 at 5:52 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    It’s not centralized around you. Decisions are made from statistical data.

gomiami likes this.
  15. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:04 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    Well said. Statistical data is easily manipulated to appease certain groups, and in the present, statistical data doesn’t support the use of common sense or awareness of one’s surroundings. It supports the tech manufacturers who are behind the scenes providing certain stats to push their tech. Happens in aviation, happens in the auto industry, happens in every facet of life. People just have to stop drinking the kool-aid and apply common logic.

MI-FL off roader, 2Toys and gomiami like this.
  16. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:08 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    I was really hesitant when these systems first came out 10 years ago or so and deliberately opted not to take it on my wifes Honda when it was still optional. I have it on my 2023 and having been driving since the mid 90s and remembering a world that didn't even ABS I also consider myself a "good driver" and am very careful but I can honestly say the "brake brake brake!" red blinker on the dash has saved my butt a couple times when some dip#(*% in front of me slammed on them without warning.

Yes, we all should know how to drive. Yes I would like to go find a manual shift 80s POS with no tech to teach my kids proper defensive driving and emergency braking.. But the reality is there are many more cars on the road today than there where 30 years ago and driver skill and distraction IS going downhill and if this stuff saves me from the other morons dumb mistake that is a good thing.

Yes, people should put down their phones... but they don't. No amount of laws and yelling at them is going to change that. So we have to deal with the world we actually live in, not the one we want to live in.

17. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:14 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    Here’s the beauty of living in America…

We don’t have to deal with anything we don’t want to. We don’t have to tolerate anything we choose not to tolerate. We have the power to control our world, we just don’t.

If people would stop accepting things that are forced upon us and just say “NO, this is bullshit” eventually the powers that be would have to comply with the demands of the masses instead of force feeding us sugar coated turds rolled in rainbow sprinkles every day.

Not a political post, this strictly pertains to the auto manufacturers.

18. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:15 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Actually, its the other way around - its the new pedestrian impact regulations that are driving the automakers to create these giant flat hoods. The research was that the old low hoodlines would hit pedestrians below their knees and cause a person to get thrown up on top of the hood and have their head smash on it, so they created new rules requiring the top of the hood to be higher which is now why you see truck grills on sedans. I agree its ugly as crap but that's why.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...ian-protection-regs-make-cars-fatter-feature/

19. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:20 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Suggest you read up on the concept "tragedy of the commons"

The problem is that if we all just ignore it, we still pay the price as a society. Take motorcycle helmets as an example. People will say that everyone should have a choice and if they don't want to wear one that's their business. I would totally agree IF the consequences where also their business. But its not. If you ride without a helmet and you have an accident and end up in the hospital with a head injury you don't have to pay a million dollar medical bill out of your own pocket - your insurance pays. Or if you don't have insurance the hospital treats you anyway. And then they eat the cost and pass that on to ME in the form of bigger hospital bills for everybody else or raising my insurance premium to pay your bill. Your stupidity still affects me.

Trail Runnah and icebear like this.
  20. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:25 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Ok so anecdotal it is!

gomiami and jharkin like this.
  21. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:31 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    Listen, the helmet or no helmet thing, I agree with. I am a rider and wear a helmet religiously in a state that doesn’t require helmets. Why, because I’m not stupid and accident reports involving motorcycles state whether or not the rider was wearing a helmet and insurance takes that into account, per my GF who owns her own insurance agency. She and I get into long debates about how I think insurance is the biggest scam in the world, but I digress, that’s not a discussion for here.

I am very close to 50 years old and have never been in an accident where I’ve hit someone. I’ve been rear ended by an Altima on my brand new Harley and had a car totaled by a dump truck driver who was putting hot sauce on his gas station burrito while driving, but not once in my 35 years of driving have I ever come close to causing an accident. Why? Because I pay attention to everything that is going on around me. And to be on topic of this thread, I don’t need automotive Nannie’s to keep me safe while driving because I’m on dumbass lookout 24/7 so I don’t get dead due to some other idiot who isn’t paying attention.

Noodles likes this.
  22. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:35 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    It’s an opinionated debate, that’s how they work most of the time.

gomiami likes this.
  23. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:54 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    I love data that can never be verified! Lol.

gomiami likes this.
  24. Apr 30, 2024 at 7:20 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Mah “feelings” used to argue against broad sweeping industry trend lol

25. Apr 30, 2024 at 7:25 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    Trends are started by followers. Don’t be a follower.

26. Apr 30, 2024 at 7:31 AM
    syeve

syeve New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO
    You should be happy with the changes, given you seem to believe any one younger than you is a "fucktard".

27. Apr 30, 2024 at 7:42 AM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Great, now i have to be going 45+ to take out protesters blocking the roads and 90+ to take out slow left lane hogs if i buy a new vehicle.

Glad i have my 2019 with none of this.

Spare Parts and Trident904 like this.
  28. Apr 30, 2024 at 7:53 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    Did I say that, specifically? No, I did not. Reading AND comprehending is hard, I know.

Not all kids are fucktards, just the ones’ that can’t do basic shit without some sort of electronic assistance. My 3 kids aren’t fucktards.

That was specific.

29. Apr 30, 2024 at 7:53 AM
    ID_Yeti

ID_Yeti New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 ORP
  30. Apr 30, 2024 at 8:13 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro

I think we probably are more philosophically aligned that you think - I am just resigned to the fact we are never going to be a society that leaves people to die who do stupid stuff that is their own fault.

Im 2 years out from the big 5-0 myself. I remember riding in the back of a pickup bed, flying off the handlebars of my bike without a helmet, driving the lawn tractor a mile up the street to my friends house without permission, etc. its a different world today....

anyway, lets let it rest - moving on.

2Toys, gomiami and Trident904[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top