1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter Driving … Let Down (lol)

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by MooreKen, Jan 15, 2024.

1. Jan 15, 2024 at 2:19 AM
    MooreKen

MooreKen [OP] 2023 TRD PRO “Solar Octane”

Member:
    So this AM was supposed to be my first Winter driving experience in the 4Runner and i turned out to be a bummer. Driving in 0 degree hard packed snow (maybe in inch deep) with occasional glazed spots I never took it out of 2 Hi. The traction of the KO2’s felt like normal pavement. I guess I should be happy but I was kinda looking forward to some deep snow. Maybe next time.

2. Jan 15, 2024 at 4:56 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Lol, I hate that. I'm going into my 4th winter with my 4Runner, we've only had ONE significant snowfall the whole time I've owned it.

Toy4X4 and MooreKen[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 15, 2024 at 7:01 AM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....

Keep driving your 4Runner north and you'll find the desired snow depth that you want. Then you'll regret driving north, and drive south as fast as fucking possible.

4. Jan 15, 2024 at 7:19 AM
    MooreKen

MooreKen [OP] 2023 TRD PRO “Solar Octane”

Member:
    This is why I love this forum…. Nuggets of humor and wisdom such as this.

5. Jan 15, 2024 at 7:32 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
  6. Jan 22, 2024 at 11:33 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    MooreKen[OP] likes this.
  7. Jan 22, 2024 at 11:40 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Ice under the snow is a different ball game though. If you do decide to drive to the mountains, carry traction boards or a shovel to create traction.

20240122_233858.jpg

icebear, roc and MooreKen[OP] like this.
  8. Jan 28, 2024 at 2:00 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s

We’ve had a fair bit of snow, and my K02s have kept me in 2hi the whole time as well. It’s a bit disappointing lol.

I haven’t had too much experience in deep fresh snow, but the times I have left me a bit worried that I don’t know what the hell I’m doing in deep snow. Two years ago, I drove down a trail with untouched snow that was at least 3 feet deep. It had a top crust. The whole time I crawled at 1mph fearing that the tires would just break through the crust and high-center me. I’m not sure what the right technique is for deep, deep snow, but I suspect you just need big ass flotation tires for that.

On a positive note… I saw beautiful sundogs about a week ago. I wanted to stop and get some pictures. I was on a two lane road with no shoulders due to snow, but there was a little parking lot that hadnt been plowed. Had about 10-12 inches on it. I turned into it knowing I would probably get stuck in 2wd until I could get it into 4wd. I pull in, and look for a good place to stop where I wont get too stuck.

Once I did, another guy pulls into the lot in a Hundai sonata and immediately gets stuck…well shit. It’s windy as hell with -5 deg temps. Can’t walk away from this one and let the guy freeze to death lol. Went to talk to him, said he wanted to get a pic of the sundogs just like me, but didn’t look before he jumped lol. I had traction boards up on my roof rack held down all ghetto with velcro straps…well the straps were frozen solid. Tried to get them unstrapped, had to take my gloves off, and in less than 30 sec my hand was bleeding. Shit can get real in cold temps! Cut the straps off with a knife, put the boards down, and he rolled out of there. Then I got my pics :).

Once it was time to leave, two wheel drive wasnt enough. But once in 4hi it pulled out real easy with gentle throttle. No pics of the snow, but here are the sundogs :D

IMG_2903.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024

Products Discussed in

To Top