1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch bumper and Forward collision system on 2021 ORP & suspension drop

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jtorral, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    Jtorral

Jtorral [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    I am looking at installing a Warn semi hidden winch bumper on my new 2021 ORP which has forward collision safety system. The version with the brush guard will interfere with the radar up front. So I am thinking the non brush guard version.

Has anyone installed one of these and experienced any issues with the collision warning systems?

How much more can I expect the front end to drop due to extra weight of bumper and winch? I didn't do a lift because it would interfere with the forward collision calibration. But if it drops the front end, that would be just as bad.

Thanks for reading.

JT

2. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    From what I've read, you shouldn't fear a lift with the new nannies.. too much. But you should respect that it might take a bit of a headache to get things all worked out. Plenty of people have had no (known) issues after lifting even with the new nannies. If you feel like you have a good service department to work with, it should be a non-factor. I say get your bumper and winch on, then figure out a lift and just make it happen!

But yes, these are uncharted territories to an extent, so I understand your hesitation. Even though guys aren't reporting (known) issues after lifting, that doesn't mean that their systems are indeed calibrated and functioning 100% properly. I am quite pedantic so I would want to be very convinced that my systems were calibrated, and functioning properly after I lifted.. and simply not getting a warning light on the dash doesn't necessarily mean squat there. That's why I hate all this tech crap these days.. sure, it's theoretically ideal, but when no one understands things or knows how to work with them, respond to them, etc.. it ends up creating new problems too.

Oh, and to maybe kinda actually answer your question. I am sure that the new winch and steel bumper will add some material weight, so yes I would plan on it dropping the front at least an amount enough to mess with the calibration of TSS. That said, I am not privy to the engineering documents and schematics that illustrate the TSS system.. so it's possible that the system has built in tolerances, and perhaps changing the truck's "rake" angle a little doesn't inhibit TSS. In fact, as I write this, surely it musn't, because people do tow with their 4Runner's after all. As you can see, there is a lot of speculation here, so it really comes down to how risk-averse you are. I'm just the kind of person that likes to be certain.. unfortunately lol. All that said, life is short.

Send it!

3. Dec 3, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    Jtorral

Jtorral [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Great reply. Thanks ! Will take all this into consideration.

Products Discussed in

To Top