1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will a 2" lift with a rack make me more tippy?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by xmt037, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Aug 30, 2023 at 6:40 PM
    xmt037

xmt037 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    ARB Skid Plates, FrontRunner SlimLine2 rack, 31" KO2s
    I have a 2021 ORP with a FrontRunner Slimline2 rack, and I’m considering a 2 inch lift with a Dobinsons IMS suspension build. Is this going to make me more tippy on off-camber roads? I’ve heard the shop save it the suspension will actually make me more stable, but I’m trying to understand physics behind that with a 2 inch lift. Thanks!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Aug 30, 2023 at 6:44 PM
    bassist

bassist New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad Premium
    Well, you're raising your center of gravity so that's a negative.

The next question is whether stiffer springs (a positive) result in a net benefit once you factor in the increase in center of gravity. I'll leave that to someone who actually took physics, BUT...remember that the shop is in the business of selling you things. That's why you need to trust random people on the internet!

3. Aug 30, 2023 at 7:01 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    I do not have a after market roof rack, but i do not think it would make a big difference unless it is loaded with a bunch of heavy stuff. Then it might get a little tipsy ‍.

Captain Spalding and Thatbassguy like this.
  4. Aug 30, 2023 at 7:10 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    As mentioned above, you're raising the center of gravity, so of course it's possible. Your best bet is to counteract it by adding full skids and sliders to balance it out better. :wink:

5. Aug 30, 2023 at 7:56 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Would like to quote the other responses also but I'm too lazy :)

I doubt the rack itself, plus a "stiffer" suspension giving 2" lift is going to make you that much more tippy unless you load up the rack.

As others stated, you are raising the center of gravity and added weight to the roof so physics will do what physics does. If the suspension doesn't flex as much as OEM, you may not feel it.

Were you tippy before and afraid it will push you over the edge? Than maybe it's a problem. Are you just worried about what you read on the internet or what you were told by an offroad shop, but you just do mild trails that don't put you into a tippy position? I, personally, wouldn't worry about it. FWIW, I have dobs IMS and I love it, I feel rooted to the ground (check profile for mods).

That said, I have some down low weight with my rack and suspension lift. I also have KDSS, which makes me feel less tippy to begin with.

My best advice would be to be honest with yourself - if you were in tippy situations before then it could be a problem. If you weren't, are you really going to be somewhere it will be a problem? I did a lot of mods for "just in case" and haven't had to worry about 90% of the things I debated with myself about because there are only mild trails here. I like the "escape the zombie apocalypse" thing I've got going, but truth is it will probably never be pushed as far as it could go. I like knowing there is room to spare though

6. Aug 30, 2023 at 9:44 PM
    xmt037

xmt037 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    ARB Skid Plates, FrontRunner SlimLine2 rack, 31" KO2s
    thanks all for the response so far. I guess I better question would’ve been, for folks with racks, what lifts did you get if any and what is your experience been like in terms of stability?

7. Dec 6, 2023 at 10:44 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Yes, it will. I don't corner as aggressively as I used to when I was stock. If you have KDSS, and steel skid plates, they should help, but remember not by a lot. If you watch closely, you can feel KDSS doing its thing when you are corning.
    In my case I even have a tire and jerry cans on the roof

:benchpress:

IMG-20231203-WA0004.jpg

8. Dec 6, 2023 at 10:49 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    But just remember you are not a 2 door Jeep with 3.5' lift and 37s. So don't overthink, you are not going to kill yourself. Drive safe, you will be fine.

9. Dec 7, 2023 at 11:20 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    It's not that tippy with a roof rack and a lift, but there is a slight difference when compared to stock. I have a heavier rack than the Frontrunner but my lift is slightly lower (1.6"). I've never felt like I was going to roll over through turns.

One thing you can do to help counteract a higher center of gravity (that I haven't seen mentioned yet) is increase your track width. You can do this with wheel spacers or wheels with lower offsets. The wider you go, the more stability you add back in but obviously there's a balance with scrub radius, rubbing, alignment, and all that stuff.

10. Dec 7, 2023 at 5:50 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Ok, i just had a brain fart. How about if you install air lifts, but just so you could raise from side to side. Oh and no i am not Elon. ✌️

Yotaholic likes this.
  11. Dec 7, 2023 at 6:27 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    I replied to this thread and didn't realize nobody responded to OP follow-up question since August.

I'm lifted with gobi rack and don't feel any more tippy. I have very aggressive AT tires and still corner like a champ.

But, I also have KDSS. I test drove non-KDSS before buying mine and didn't like the body roll. I feel no difference post-lift with roof rack but it could just be the KDSS

Products Discussed in

To Top