1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why do I need a relay for fog lights?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Trekker, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Sep 16, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    Trekker

Trekker [OP] Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I am replacing the fog lights installed by the previous owner. My 4runner had piaa fog lights wired in by the 2nd owner, the 4th owner (from what I can deduce) removed the piaa fog lights and added their own set of fog lights.

The relay for the piaa fog lights is still in place, but there is currently no relay on the fog light circuit. The current fog light circuit is fuse protected at the positive terminal of the battery, then it is sent to a switch, then the foglights, then back to the negative terminal.

The Hella 450s I bought comes with its own relay, which I'll put where the old PIAA relay is now. Can someone explain why it needs a relay if you can clearly get along without one?

2. Sep 16, 2021 at 8:06 PM
    Coupe

Coupe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota X-Runner
    TRD Blower, Coupe 7 1/2 qt oil pan, PC Stock wheels, SS drop, SS sways, QA1, TRD intake w/ custom Aluminum cover, T56 Magnum trans, Coupe shifter, Big tube long tubes, URD 3" cat back, All of NST pullies, MX upper/lower grille, BHLM, tinted tails, Gentex mirror, leather interior, APR X-1, APR 7th Injector, URD fuel pump upgrade, rear spoiler, AEM gauges, 4:10 rear gears, etc.
    It reduces the current flow through the fog light switch.

3. Sep 22, 2021 at 8:08 AM
    JerryC

JerryC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Yep, that's the reason. Older lights with halogen bulbs could draw a lot of amps and switches couldn't handle it.
    LED lamps might not draw enough amps to burn up the switch. If you are going to keep it the way it is even for one time out, make sure that fuse by the battery is rated lower than switch. You want the fuse to pop before the switch catches fire and burns down your truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top