1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which model is best?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Lori, Jun 23, 2024.

1. Jun 23, 2024 at 2:19 PM
    Lori

Lori [OP] New Member

Member:
    My daughter is taking my 2013 Limited 4-runner with 20" wheels, 2wd. It has a really wide turning radius. I am in the market for a new one. Do any of the models turn better than others? Does it matter if it is 17 or 20" wheels?
    I know I need to get 4wd on my next 4 runner. I don't drive on any rough terrain but I do want to take it on the beach. Our sand is very soft and can be deep in areas. All models come in 4wd. I don't know anything about the technical aspects. Is there anything on the TRD or Ltd that would be better for the beach vs the SR5?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Jun 23, 2024 at 2:32 PM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....

According to Toyota's website: chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.toyota.com/content/dam/toyota/brochures/pdf/2024/4runner_ebrochure.pdf

The turning circle for ALL models is 37.4

All 4Runners do not come in 4wd, but MOST will. I'd guess about 80-ish % are 4wd. Then you have the Sport & Limited models that are heavily 2wd, or the rare one off SR5 or SR5P that's a 2wd. I've heard that the 4wd/AWD system on the Limited is great for snow/sand/ice.

Screenshot 2024-06-23 162914.png

3. Jun 23, 2024 at 2:46 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    As stated above, the turning radius is what it is - wheel size won't change that. A smaller wheel (17" vs 20") would give you a bigger footprint in the sand if you air down, which would be an advantage.

If you are unfamiliar with part time 4wd then I would stick with a limited or other model that has full time 4wd. However, I believe all of those come with the larger 20" wheels.

I don't think the TRD (MTS and locker) would give you much benefit over the ATRAC system on the beach (which will be on the SR5 and maybe the limited trims?) - SR5 is going to be part time 4wd though.

If it were me, I'd try to find a limited model or similar that comes in full time 4wd and then swap to 17" wheels (if it comes with 20's). If you are going to drive on the beach (or live near beach) then I'd also have it regularly sprayed with an undercoating to prevent rust.

Caveat - my opinions are not always right

icebear and RumHamRunner73 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top