1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Opinions for a newbie

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by alan1y, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Dec 3, 2023 at 2:04 PM
    alan1y

alan1y [OP] New Member

Member:
    I’m very new to modding 4runners and would love some help or opinions.

2009 V6 RWD SR5

Will be driving this for about another two years until I give it back to my father. I want to keep things as close to stock as possible because I’ll be giving it back and he doesn’t like mods.

I love the look of these wheels specifically but am afraid the aggressive width and offset will cause clearance or rubbing issues.

Would a 16x8 +0 fit my 4runner without modifications or trimming? I plan to do the front daystar level only. Again, I want to keep the truck as stock as possible because it won’t be mine forever besides the wheels and leveling. Planning to throw on 265/65/16 or 70 Wildpeaks for mostly city driving and the occasional ski resort trip in the winter (in SoCal). Any issues with traction in the snow for 2wd? I know it’ll never perform like a 4x4 but have to work with what I have. Won’t be able to get a dedicated winter tire setup so these will be daily driven.

I also do hope to put these on a different 4runner (3rd, 4th, or 5th) down the line or sell them. Will they fit on those? (Not sure if this is the right place to ask)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dec 3, 2023 at 2:58 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Personally I wouldn't bother with the wheels if this isn't your vehicle, unless you plan to be purchasing a vehicle that these will fit on in the future. If that's the case, go with a 17" wheel if you think you might want a 5th gen 4Runner, 17" is the minimum size that will fit.

The Wildpeaks are supposed to be good in the snow for an AT tire, but a downside is that they tend to be fairly heavy for any given size, so they'll negatively effect performance and mpg, and for that reason I would not run them on a vehicle that I wasn't going to take off-road. They do look cool though!

For your application something like the BFG Trail Terrain might be good. It's supposed to be great in the snow, though off-road performance might not be as good. Keep in mind that what makes a good offroad tire doesn't necessarily make it a good snow tire. The least off-road looking tires can be the best in the snow.

Tire Rack does a lot of winter testing, check to see what their rankings are as part of your research.

Thatbassguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top