1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What has your experience been when connecting iPhone 12Pro to 4Runner 2020 and up?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by dxhum, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Apr 25, 2022 at 4:31 PM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    When I purchased my 2020 4Runner, my iPhone 6 iOS 13.X did not play well with my 4Runner.

Since it was an old phone, I thought that the phone was not able to keep up with the 4Runner's requests. So I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro which is up to date with iOS 15.4.1

Performance is terrible.

I still get the same ratchety behavior with the new phone when plugged in to the vehicle. It is very buggy in much of its operation.

Anyone else using this phone with their 4Runner? What has been your experience?

Thanks!

2. Apr 25, 2022 at 4:41 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Are you having this problem with Apple Play or the built in bluetooth system?

I have a 2020 and a 12 Pro. I've only ever used it with Apple Play, which works very well for me. My prior iPhone also worked great with Apple Play in the 4R.

I haven't tried connecting it to the truck via bluetooth, first because I don't see that being as user friendly or useful as Apple Play, and second because, unlike Apple Play, built in vehicle manufacturer software collects and stores data from your phone, and that data can be hard or nigh impossible to delete. I don't know about Toyota generally or the 4Runner specifically, but some of those systems collect not just your contacts but call history and even text messages etc.

3. Apr 25, 2022 at 6:13 PM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    It is plugged in via data cable to the car.

I haven't been able to figure out if the problem is on the Apple side or the Toyota side.

It seems like it is a buffering issue.

As an example, when I'm on a phone call, the screen will freeze and the timer of the call will get stuck at X number of seconds. Then there is a lag in the conversation going back and forth.

Well, I am glad to hear that it works well for you. This tells me that this problem could be corrected, I don't have to wait for a fix from Toyota or Apple.

Data collection, huh? Yeah... don't like how that sounds.

4. Apr 25, 2022 at 6:39 PM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    Why wouldn't it collect data from CarPlay as well?

5. Apr 25, 2022 at 6:49 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I get the impression you're not using CarPlay. Have you tried it before? The screen looks like this:

[​IMG]

Something tells me you're using Toyota's built-in software instead. That's called Entune. Been lots of complaints about that system, and for years now.

PS -- apologies for calling it Apple Play in my orig post. Brain fart. Proper name is CarPlay. Apple CarPlay. You activate it from the Settings in your iPhone.

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    dxhum[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 25, 2022 at 6:55 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    It's not that it'd be technically impossible, could be done if Toyota was being nefarious, but that's not how CarPlay works. In CarPlay, the car's infotainment screen is acting like an external monitor for your phone, like an extra screen, and the car's microphone like an external mic, etc. The data is not passing through Toyota's Entune software. Apple wouldn't work it that way, or let the car manufacturers work it that way.

In contrast, built in software like Entune is designed to suck up your contacts and other data. There are legitimate purposes for some of that, but no matter how well intentioned the result is lots of data getting stuck in the car's computer that could be extracted by Toyota, hackers, law enforcement, the next owner, etc.

dxhum[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 25, 2022 at 6:56 PM
    T4Rrunning

T4Rrunning New Member

Member:
    California
    I have the iphone 12 pro and carplay works great for me. No issues on my 2021

dxhum[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 25, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I have a iphone 6s and Carplay works fine. Never tried using entune bluetooth connection on the 4runner.

I have used bluetooth entune on my 18highlander, but it’s enough of a pain for me to avoid using it.

dxhum[OP] likes this.
  9. Apr 25, 2022 at 7:18 PM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm definitely using Apple CarPlay.

I mean; I press the menu button and select Apple CarPlay. Am I doing something wrong?

10. Apr 25, 2022 at 7:20 PM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong.

11. Apr 25, 2022 at 7:22 PM
    4runner2017ltd

4runner2017ltd Photo from showroom, pre rabbit hole…

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Venture
    aFe intake, URD Spec-U Headers, Fox 2.5 dsc
    I’ve a 2021 Venture and use ApplePlay every time I drive the car. One thing I notice on the ApplePlay is that when I switch to Waze (my default map) it gets stuck on my home address or prior address when the truck was started for the day. It’s an easy fix but having to close Waze app on my iPhone then reopen is a bit annoying. It’s not a constant issue but happens enough im making a comment.
    Otherwise it works fine with other apps like Pandora and Apple Music.

12. Apr 25, 2022 at 7:22 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Hmmm, sorry I've run out of ideas. Suggest unfortunately that you show it to the dealer. Maybe there's something physically wrong with the connection. Oh, if you haven't already I'd first try a new cable. But if that doesn't work, def the dealer. Good luck with it!

13. Apr 25, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    4runner2017ltd

4runner2017ltd Photo from showroom, pre rabbit hole…

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Venture
    aFe intake, URD Spec-U Headers, Fox 2.5 dsc
    Oh forgot to mention, I’m running an iPhone Xs which is slightly older than a 12pro but I believe still uses the same iOS.

dxhum[OP] likes this.
  14. Apr 25, 2022 at 7:55 PM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    I've had issues using Waze too.

15. Apr 25, 2022 at 7:56 PM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ya know, I never considered taking it to the dealership.

16. Apr 25, 2022 at 9:55 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Logically, it can’t be your phone’s hardware or software. Problem has occurred with both phones and multiple versions of iOS.

So that leaves your truck’s hardware or software. It might be that the infotainment unit needs a software update or reinstall. I would check for updates from the head unit as a last ditch effort before hassling with the dealer. It’s somewhere in one of the menus. If that fails the dealer may try a reinstall of the software. While the connection between phone and CarPlay on the screen shouldn’t be running through Entune, there’s still a small amount of software involved to connect the phone to the screen through the USB port, and to connect the cabin microphone and steering wheel controls etc to CarPlay.

If it’s not software then it’s the truck or cable hardware. If you’ve tried a new cable, especially an Apple brand cable, without luck then the USB port or some other part of the infotainment head unit may be faulty. I suspect the dealer might replace the whole head unit if a software reinstall doesn’t do the trick.

pls let us know how it goes.

17. Apr 25, 2022 at 10:32 PM
    Shallowminded

Shallowminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Venture
    2021 Venture, 12pro ..Plug my phone and wait for the apple car play logo to come up on my screen and tap it. Only issue I’ve dealt with is when listening to music through car play, Amazon music if I to jump forward 2-3 songs really fast it might “buffer” for 3-5 seconds..

18. Apr 26, 2022 at 1:14 AM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I have the iPhone 13 pro max and I have experienced the same issue on a rare occasion. I once had issues all the time connecting and not staying connected. Found there to be lint in my charging port. The phone would charge but data would not work. Cleaned it out and boom. But still on a very rare occasion I had apple CarPlay issues. So I would make sure you don’t have lint in your charging port on your phone, entune software is up to date, phone is up to date, try 2+ cables, and if you are still having consistent issues that can be replicated at the dealer then get it checked out.

19. Apr 26, 2022 at 3:28 AM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    I thought it may be a compatibility issue. I've called Apple and of course, they tell me the problem is on the Toyota end. And when I speak to Toyota, they say the issue is on the Apple end.

I have tried multiple after market cables because the iPhone 12 has a lightning connection. The OEM cable is lightning on one side and USB-C on the other.

I have used the "check for updates" feature in Entune without luck. Perhaps the dealership is the answer. And I have a good one!

20. Apr 26, 2022 at 7:11 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    I'm really starting to hate all technology. Yesterday my Youtube wouldn't work on my TV. Happens pretty frequently, but yesterday was all day. I try turning off tv, resetting modem and finally reset tv back to factory settings. Big mistake. Couldn't reconnect wifi to tv. Before calling Sony, I almost threw my tv off the balcony and smashed my MacBook and phone with a hammer. Called Sony and they couldn't get it to work either and actually asked me if I was putting in the correct password. yes because I just changed. So I said "F" it and bought an ethernet cord so I don't need my passwords to set up this so called Smart TV. After seeing this lovely emoji from Apple, I just wish I could have a product that works and has zero agendas.

3FAFEA44-64A3-488D-9EBC-22CB983FC0BE_1_201_a.jpg

2Toys, ace96, MazMan and 2 others like this.
  21. Apr 26, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    ZackDanger

ZackDanger New Member

Member:
    Western MA
    2021 ORP. iPhone 12ProMax.
    Apple Car Play works *flawlessly* for me.

Aside from the obvious "have you tried rebooting the phone?" first step, I would also recommend trying a different cable.

Sometimes a cable that works great charging the phone can be just spotty enough (through manufacturing or wear) to interfere with data transfer. (or a cheap aftermarket cable that really isn't rated for higher speed data transfers... just charging)

I usually have to change out the cables I use in my vehicles about once a year because of wear and tear (for a high quality cable)... first sign is intermittent connectivity or response issues.

22. Apr 26, 2022 at 4:45 PM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    Do you use an OEM Lightning to USB-C? Is there such a thing?

23. Apr 26, 2022 at 6:56 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I’m using the cable that came with older AirPods and so has USB A to Lightning. Before that I used the cable that came with my old phone, which was also before the switch to USB C.

The 2020 4R requires USB A for connecting to the head unit. (I have a high speed combo USB A/C charger in the 12v socket for when I want to just charge one of my devices).

While it seems unlikely, I wouldn’t completely rule out the aftermarket cables you’ve tried. I think you can safely rule out the phone or it’s software. For example, I assume it charges fine and is ok otherwise.

So it’s got to be the car if it’s not the cable.

dxhum[OP] likes this.
  24. Apr 27, 2022 at 4:46 AM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    Actually, the phone is quite buggy, so, I couldn't be sure.

25. Apr 27, 2022 at 8:17 AM
    gsdlvr

gsdlvr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wife's Lime Rush TRD Pro 2022
    My wife has a 12 Pro iphone, and it works well with her new 2022 4Runner (TRD Pro Model)...she uses Waze and Apple Music I know...I'm not in her car often (only been in it twice since I bought it), but she'd tell me if there was an issue. I do know she doesn't drive much as she does not work - I think she has about 1200 miles since she got it on Feb 28th.

Good luck - I can appreciate the frustration of tech issues...I am an idiot with tech and have others deal with them as I have no patience HAHAH.

26. Apr 27, 2022 at 11:15 AM
    ZackDanger

ZackDanger New Member

Member:
    Western MA
    I use an Anker braided cable... but there are both OEM Lighting to USB-A and USB-C cables out there.

My 2021 has a USB-A for the infotainment connection.

27. May 22, 2022 at 11:50 AM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    UPDATE:

Well... as it turns out the issues I was experiencing was the result of a glitchy update. Once the phone was wiped and a fresh install of the iOS was completed, the issue appears to be corrected.

Singleminded likes this.
  28. May 22, 2022 at 12:06 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Quite odd, since you had the same problem on an older iPhone. Regardless, here’s hoping this is the last of the problem.

29. May 22, 2022 at 12:49 PM
    semprenissart

semprenissart Mèfi

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Pro (MGM)
    Westcott Sliders. Gobi no rise
    Never had a single problem with apple music, Apple Maps, google maps, waze, podcasts, phone calls. I’ve been using CarPlay every single time I’m in the car and it has worked flawlessly since I have the T4R.
    iPhone 12 and 2022MY

30. May 22, 2022 at 1:48 PM
    dxhum

dxhum [OP] New Member

Member:
    Agreed. But there were updates on the older phone. Eventually, I will do a fresh install on the older phone and see what happens.

Products Discussed in

To Top