1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you do after accidentally engaging 4wd on dry pavement?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by QuocDat, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Mar 8, 2023 at 11:59 PM
    QuocDat

QuocDat [OP] New Member

Member:
    4runner
    Hi everyone, i’m just learning about the mechanic things so I’m sorry if I border you by posting many threads for one topic.
    I was engaging 4wd on dry pavement and do some sharp turns like u-turn for 4 times, turn left and right at the intersection. I think I’m not the only who accidentally torture our beloved 4runner 5th gen. For those who make those mistakes, what should I do after that? And did you notice any thing went wrong after? My truck is still good but i’m afraid I have bent any metal part or broke them.
    I watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EHcrjIlkHk&t=237s and this guy recommend some step to follow. Do you recommend that? Thank everyone.

2. Mar 9, 2023 at 6:00 AM
    scanny

scanny New Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you're fine if you did it just few times. I wouldn't worry about it but make sure you don't engage 4Hi on dry pavement on a regular basis.

3. Mar 9, 2023 at 6:51 AM
    CygnusX-4

CygnusX-4 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD OR
    You must now treat your 4Runner to a therapeutic mud bath.

4. Mar 9, 2023 at 9:40 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    You have to turn around three times, spit over your shoulder, and recite a line from King Lear.

Way back in 1981, when I was an eager young lad studying Medieval English Literature at UCLA, the campus was visited by the Royal Shakespeare Company. After a wonderful performance there was a question and answer period. One of the questions brought up the topic of
    Macbeth, and at the mention of “the Scottish play” all the players turned around three times, spat over their shoulders, and quoted a line from King Lear. After the execution of this bizarre ritual it was explained to us, by none other than Patrick Stewart (yes, that Patrick Stewart) that the play of Macbeth was cursed, and mention of it or recitation of any of its lines outside the context of a performance would bring misfortune and tragedy to the utterer — unless the counter curse was performed. Perhaps a similar custom should be adopted for 4Runner owners who have engaged four wheel drive on pavement.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    ChessGuy, gomiami, Ironguy and 2 others like this.
  5. Mar 9, 2023 at 10:01 AM
    salvojimmy

salvojimmy New Member

Member:
    Glen Allen VA
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5P
    No Mods Yet
    As long as you drive relatively straight on pavement you will be ok. I exercise my 4WD routinely on dry pavement once a month for about 20 miles in 4HI. It is about 10 miles. I engage at the start, disengage to turn around, re-engage to drive back then disengage. I exercise 4LO in my Apt parking lot where there is a straight stretch about half a block long by driving in 4LO in fwd and reverse several times. Been doing it for decades with my T4Rs and narry a problem. The key is no sharp turns.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  6. Mar 9, 2023 at 11:17 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    I normally use 4wd on dry, straight roads to exercise the actuators.

7. Mar 9, 2023 at 11:36 AM
    MartianArmada

MartianArmada New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Wildpeaks
    I turn it back off again and go on with my life. More likely than not, unless you have some super sticky icky tires, you're slipping your tires a hair rather than actually injuring any internal parts.

7385 and Trail Runnah like this.
  8. Mar 9, 2023 at 12:02 PM
    dcwn.45

dcwn.45 New Member

Member:
    your truck is not fragile, it's fine.

NE Runner and Cypher_Systems like this.
  9. Mar 9, 2023 at 6:21 PM
    QuocDat

QuocDat [OP] New Member

Member:
    4runner
    Yeah, i engage 4wd again today on muddy area to check if things are still good. I babysit my rig for too long.

CygnusX-4[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Mar 9, 2023 at 6:25 PM
    QuocDat

QuocDat [OP] New Member

Member:
    4runner
    It’s still on its stock tires. I didn’t mode any thing except put a riffle pelican case on the roof rack.

11. Mar 10, 2023 at 4:17 AM
    roc

roc New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD ORP
    It will just loosen things up a bit, makes it shift into 4-wheel drive easier next time.

12. Mar 10, 2023 at 6:58 AM
    Metalsaber

Metalsaber New Member

Member:
    yeah I engage mine and drive short distances in a straight line. no issues

13. Mar 10, 2023 at 9:37 AM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    Pray

djwantke likes this.
  14. Mar 10, 2023 at 9:48 AM
    Talon2006

Talon2006 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    The largest reason to not run in 4wd on pavement is it will dramatically increase tire wear, decrease turning radius, and you will feel the drivetrain binding if you make sharp turns.

Long term it can also decrease the life span of some of your drive train components.

Did you hurt or break anything in a few short miles? Probably not. Though it depends on what you were doing. Normal driving you are probably fine. 5K neutral drop at the drag strip your transmission might leave the chat!

Captain Spalding likes this.
  15. Mar 10, 2023 at 9:52 AM
    CalcityRenegade

CalcityRenegade New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Earth
    Vehicle:
    2023 T4R ORP KDSS
    If you broke or damaged something from engaging 4WD on dry pavement, you would know it.

7385 likes this.
  16. Oct 12, 2023 at 8:21 AM
    rmiked

rmiked New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP, Lunar Rock , Moonroof, rear sliding cargo deck, cargo mat
    If you did what the OP did, and you feel binding in the driveline (because the tires can’t easily skid), is the binding happening in the transfer case or the differential? I’m thinking of the videos you see with a wheel off the ground freely spinning (in 4WD) and the wheel with good traction (on ground) is bucking trying to move. The explanation is that the same amount of torque is applied to both wheels on a given axle. And the torque applied to the wheel with good traction is insufficient to turn it. So the wheel with the least traction sets the upper limit on applied torque. For the bucking we see on the grounded tire , is the stress in the diff or transfer case?

17. Oct 12, 2023 at 9:04 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Everywhere. The propshafts and axle shafts as well. Everything adds up to a little give before it wanting to spring back.

McSpazatron likes this.
  18. Oct 12, 2023 at 9:23 AM
    slar50

slar50 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2010 and 2023 Pearl White 4Runners
    How does you're 4-wheel drive know the difference between dry and wet roads it nothing is slipping?

19. Oct 12, 2023 at 9:35 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    On a wet road, something will eventually slip when the forces build up enough. Same thing on a dry road, but the forces have to build up a lot more to overcome the tire grip, which it will eventually do with a screech and a hop, hopefully before breaking anything.

2Toys likes this.
  20. Oct 12, 2023 at 10:10 AM
    rmiked

rmiked New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP, Lunar Rock , Moonroof, rear sliding cargo deck, cargo mat
    I think the differential can handle the 2 wheels on a given axle not spinning at the same speed, even IF one of those speeds is 0 rpm. But the transfer case ties the 2 driveshafts together. So in order to not have this “wind-up” (bucking driveline stress) you would need one wheel on each axle turning the same speed. That is highly unlikely if anything other than straight line driving is happening. And the wind-up stress can be easily eliminated by one of the wheels skidding. This skidding is easy on gravel or dirt or easier than pavement when on wet roads. When people turn sharp in 4WD on dry pavement I’m guessing the transfer case is the thing that demands wheelspin compatibility. I’m not sure but that’s my guess. These 4WD systems, differentials, ADDs, and transfer cases are amazing IMO. Been around a long time but accomplish some pretty cool stuff.

21. Oct 12, 2023 at 11:35 AM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Prescott Valley - Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    4.88, Air lockers, 35 Toyo MTs, C4 body armor, +2 LT, etc
    @Captain Spalding - When asked about 4wd, Patrick Stewart is best know as saying…

Sorry, I crack myself up
    :anonymous:

ChessGuy and CygnusX-4 like this.
  22. Oct 15, 2023 at 8:53 AM
    lowflyer

lowflyer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP w/ KDSS <2021 Venture w/o KDSS <line of Tundras
    I don't understand why some people exercise their 4 wheel drive on dry roads. Don't they ever leave the pavement to use it on dirt?

23. Oct 15, 2023 at 9:45 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    A lot of places are pretty far from dirt or gravel that isn't a private road.

Trekker, Redwood, 2Toys and 1 other person like this.
  24. Oct 15, 2023 at 11:08 AM
    Latrans

Latrans New Member

Member:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner SR5
    Some people don’t know any better, like me. I just used my 4WD this weekend to exercise the 10-miles per month rule, and my Toyota Book didn’t state anything about not using it on dry roads. This is the first time I’ve ever owned a 4WD. Oops, guess I ruined it.

25. Oct 15, 2023 at 12:04 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium RWD Starlight Black
    As others have said, you’re fine. Tires will take the brunt of the abuse for that short of a term.

26. Oct 15, 2023 at 12:11 PM
    bassist

bassist New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad Premium
    Have you ever tried to open a jar or bottle that is so tight that you end up hurting your hand?

If you stopped before you got the jar open, your pain threshold is the point of failure. If the bottle or jar opens, the tightness of the lid is the point of failure. If it comes out of your hands and falls to the ground, then your grip on it is the point of failure.

All that is at issue here is point of failure.

Will the tires slip? Will a joint break? Will a gear break?

On a slippery surface, the built up tension will release itself through tires slipping. On a surface with traction, the tires will drag themselves. Keep going and eventually something will break.

The 4WD system in the non-limited models makes the front and rear axles spin at the same speeds, but with open diffs, what that means is that the tire in the front with the least amount of traction will spin at the same speed as the tire with the least amount of traction in the rear. If you’re having trouble imagining this, just picture the front left and the rear right being on a sheet of ice. They can both spin all day and you’ll go nowhere until some software kicks in.

If you had the rear locker engaged, then the tire with the least amount of traction in the front would now spin at exactly the same speed as the tires in the rear. Picture all the tires except the front left on ice. The car is going nowhere.

Now in all these situations, picture the tires all having great traction.

Something has to give.

If you’re lucky, the tires will just skid. If you’re unlucky, you’ll start getting wear and tear.

If you are REALLY unlucky, you’ll have a situation similar to what once happened with me.

My clutch pedal failed on an old Jeep, which meant that I basically dropped the clutch right as I was accelerating away from a stop. With a 304 cubic inch V-8. Normally, this would just mean you light up a tire, because in an open differential, power goes to the tire with the least amount of traction. In my case, it had a limited slip, which meant that not all the power went to the tire with the least amount of traction. The result was that both tires were getting power. If my tires weren’t nice and sticky, I would have done a two wheel burnout, but I didn’t. Instead, there was enough power to snap the spring perches and pretzel my driveshaft.

The word “catastrophic” was used to describe what happened.

Bodie the Dog and gomiami like this.
  27. Oct 15, 2023 at 12:13 PM
    bassist

bassist New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad Premium
    “We don’t need roads where we’re going.”

NE Runner and gomiami like this.
  28. Oct 15, 2023 at 12:20 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    Unfortunately, that's frowned upon in the suburban Midatlantic. On the other hand, somebody illegally driving an ATV on the neighborhood streets ran head-on into a tree in my yard, about two feet uphill from road-level. I was out of town at the time, but he left a bunch of broken parts at the scene and a big scar on the tree.

Edit: This is where people ride ATVs and dirt bikes around here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lackawanna_Cut-Off. The parts near me won't be available much longer. We'll have train service to NYC in a couple years. They're just starting work on the station about a mile from my house.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  29. Oct 15, 2023 at 12:47 PM
    bassist

bassist New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad Premium
    I was just quoting Back to the Future!

Seriously though, even if you have to drive a couple of hours to somewhere, make the trip - it's worth it...although I'd love to not have to travel that far.

There was only one place in NJ where I went wheeling, and while I believe it was legal to do so, I cannot be absolutely certain that it was. It was somewhere in the Mahwah/Ringwood area. Had a big old stonking hill to climb up. Good stuff.

Edit: tell a lie! I also went in the Pine Barrens once.

30. Oct 15, 2023 at 1:13 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    There's plenty of sugar sand down there to get stuck in, or as the locals say, get "set" in.

bassist[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top