1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What 4Runner model / options to buy…

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TTUHoopsFans, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Apr 20, 2022 at 5:13 PM
    TTUHoopsFans

TTUHoopsFans [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    Looking for a 4Runner possibly
    Hi Everyone, I am new here and am interested in a 2022 4Runner (to replace an aging 2013 Mazda CX-9). I am trying to educate myself on all of the different models.

I am not a huge off road person, but I like the fact that I have the option to do that if I wanted. I love the look of the TDR 4Runners… but here are the things I definitely would like:

-Blind Spot monitoring system
    -Blackout package with black wheels, all terrain aggressive looking tires
    -Leather / Softex seats
    -I prefer Lunar Rock color, but I hear this is a rare color and hard to find, so I am open to other colors such as the metallic gray, etc.

I have been texting with a Toyota dealer sales guy throughout the day, and based on the above he said I would want to go with the TRD off road premium or the Sr5 premium and get the blackout package. With the Sr5 premium being a little cheaper, is that the way to go? Or am I going to be missing out on not getting a TRD version? Again, I don’t really envision myself doin a ton of off-roading, it would be more of an every day car, and I don’t really drive all that much (about 7k miles per year). Also, I am trying to keep the out the door price including TTL and everything, to 50k or just under if possible.

Thank you all in advance as I learn more about 4runners and all of the options, best way to go, etc.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Apr 20, 2022 at 5:19 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    SR5. Lots of threads on this subject too. Good luck on your search.

3. Apr 20, 2022 at 5:29 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I would go SR5. Them main advantage to the TRD trims is the rear locker. You'll only need it if you get into some more difficult off-road use. An SR5 is pretty damn capable stock. And, lockers can be added if you want one later.

4. Apr 20, 2022 at 5:30 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    BTW, welcome to the forum!

kolter45 likes this.
  5. Apr 20, 2022 at 5:32 PM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    SR5 Premium. Easy peasy.

WhenInRome618 and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Apr 20, 2022 at 5:35 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Welcome to the forum! Good luck on your search, and I too recommend going with the SR5, premium package if you want the softex.

Though you say you don't want to go off-roading, just know that even the SR5 is very capable.

Edit: I just wanted to add, if you haven't driven one yet, it's going to drive very differently from your Mazda. So I would suggest taking a long extensive test drive, including getting on and off the highway, hills, and rough roads. All of that will give you a good sense of how the vehicle drives and handles.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  7. Apr 20, 2022 at 6:00 PM
    beedee

beedee Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4R SR5 4x4 Nautical Blue Metallic
    Maybe a Highlander would suit you better coming from a CX-9?

TTUHoopsFans[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  8. Apr 20, 2022 at 6:30 PM
    TTUHoopsFans

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    I will go google this right now, but what is a rear locker?

Edit: never mind. I read up on it, i see where it locks both wheels so they both get the same power, better traction.

9. Apr 20, 2022 at 6:32 PM
    josephp732

josephp732 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Limited, 2021 White TRD OR Premium
    Check out both. The SR5 Premium's softex is two-tone black/graphite or beige with interior sliver accents. The TRD ORP has solid black seats with red stitching and a blacked out interior. The SR5 is available with a third row seat - the TRD is not.

TTUHoopsFans[OP] likes this.
  10. Apr 20, 2022 at 6:34 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    Limited? Nice and comfy but can handle some off road

11. Apr 20, 2022 at 6:34 PM
    TTUHoopsFans

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    I want something cooler and more fun to drive. I have been researching Wranglers, Broncos, and 4Runners and 4Runners seem the best.

josephp732 likes this.
  12. Apr 20, 2022 at 6:36 PM
    TTUHoopsFans

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    What will be the biggest differences in how it drives? Thanks!

13. Apr 20, 2022 at 6:37 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Yup! It has only been necessary in a few situations.

14. Apr 20, 2022 at 6:39 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    It drives like a 4WD vehicle on a truck frame VS a FWD/AWD vehicle on a unibody chassis.

15. Apr 20, 2022 at 6:43 PM
    Trdorp22

Trdorp22 New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    For your price point you wanna stay at the SR5 premium seems to be the winner.
    Will have the options your looking for . Unless you can get a TRD off road premium at MSRP then jump on that one.

TTUHoopsFans[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  16. Apr 20, 2022 at 7:12 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I actually don't really find my 4Runner "fun" to drive. To me it's a utility vehicle, more of a tool. I like the interior space, I like that it's rugged and reliable, and I like having the off-road capability, though I don't take advantage of it nearly enough.

If your version of fun includes wind in your hair, it's hard to beat the top off, doors off, fun of a Wrangler. If your version of fun consists of speedy acceleration and corner carving, none of these SUVs will be for you, haha.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  17. Apr 20, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    TTUHoopsFans

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    Haha thanks. Interesting take. I guess the 4runner just looks cool to me, there’s so many accessories and customization you can do. Thought it would be a cool vehicle to own, but your description doesn’t sound all that fun / great lol.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  18. Apr 20, 2022 at 7:31 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    They certainly look cool, you're 100% correct on that. Just drive one for yourself, you may like the old school feel to the way it drives. I know I did when I first drove it. It's funny, when I first got it, a co-worker asked me how it drove. I thought about it for a second and said terrible, but I really like that about it.

I'll partially take back what I said about fun, it actually is fun to drive in the snow. We had a couple good snowfalls this winter, and I did have a lot of fun messing around in some unplowed snow. Definitely gives you a sense of confidence in bad weather that you can go anywhere. It's also great if you have terrible roads in your town, you can basically just aim for the potholes and they don't even phase this thing.

Here's the aftermath of my fun in the snow, haha.. (That's the skid plate just below the front bumper)
    PXL_20220130_223004478.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  19. Apr 21, 2022 at 10:47 AM
    TTUHoopsFans

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    Here is my predicament. I must have blind spot monitoring but I CANNOT have a moonroof. I am too tall and my hair / head hits the ceiling. I test drove one this morning and a moonroof will definitely not work.

I also want leather, blackout package, lunar rock, silver metallic, but I’m open to other colors too.

Does this configuration exist? Seems hard to basically find one WITH the blind spot monitoring and WITHOUT a moonroof.

If any of y’all know of any options here across any 4Runner model, please let me know. Thanks!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  20. Apr 21, 2022 at 7:51 PM
    RoadtripJim2000

RoadtripJim2000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 Silver 4WD 5 Speed
    275/70/16 oversized tires
    Welcome and greetings from Minnesota. You can’t go wrong with silver metallic. That is one of the easiest colors to keep clean.

josephp732 and Thatbassguy like this.
  21. Apr 21, 2022 at 8:05 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

You might actually be better off having a dealer help you find one with the options you want. Or, look online. Toyota tends to package options together. I seem to recall people having a hard time finding 4runners with leather but no moon roof. Mine does, but it seems to be a rare combo.

I'm not sure about the blackout package. You can buy aftermarket blackouts for the emblems if all else fails.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  22. Apr 21, 2022 at 8:06 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    You may be able to order exactly what you want, not sure if the 2022 orders are still being accepted. Keep in mind that that will probably take you months to get it, these are still made in Japan.

I don't think that the moonroof is standard equipment on most models, even if you select the premium package, so it's just a matter of finding the right one on the dealer's lot.

I wouldn't worry too much about the blackout package, by the way, you can easily replicate that yourself after the fact. Same thing with any type of aftermarket wheel option that you would want to purchase.

Also, the leather isn't really leather, it's actually pleather.

Just curious, other than your head hitting the ceiling, what did you think of the test drive?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  23. Apr 22, 2022 at 4:44 AM
    josephp732

josephp732 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Maybe look for a TRD Sport.....Softex seating NO moonroof (it's not even an option), Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA), I believe is an option. You can do your own blackout package - it's just black overlay even from the factory. The TRD Sport is a mix of an SR5 Premium with the Limited wheels and suspension.

My 4Runners in the following colors:

- TRD OR in Black - beautiful color with the blue flake... when clean...shows all the swirls and needs lots of love and care - had mine professionally ceramic coated
    - TRD ORP in Super White - I like super white over the Blizzard Pearl White...with everything blacked out and black wheels this truck has a rugged look
    - Limited in Silver - I think this is the classiest color and the color that "hides the dirt" the best I put the "silver/gray" TRD wheels on my Limited and think it looks pretty good. I saw a Silver Limited with a Rosewood interior and thought it really looked fantastic...almost like a Lexus color combo.
    - Limited in Blizzard Pearl White - nice color, I put OR wheels on it, which gave it a different look over a Limited with the stock 20" wheels. Maybe a little more sporty..

4Runner 1.jpg
    20210927_162722.jpg
    20200702_182923.jpg
    20200126_125436.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  24. Apr 22, 2022 at 7:58 AM
    Redwood

Redwood New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Greetings. Another factor to consider is Kdss on the Trd Off Road. It's beefier sway bars make for better road manners (body roll) yet still lends wheel articulation if you go off road. Is also more reliable than Xreas suspension. As mentioned big change from a Mazda.

25. Oct 24, 2023 at 12:26 PM
    LeNuit36

LeNuit36 New Member

Member:
    INDIANA

Did you have to switch out brakes/calipers? My Toyota dealership told me 17” wheels won’t fit my 15 limited which comes with 20” that comes with bigger brakes and calipers. Thanks!

26. Oct 24, 2023 at 12:52 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Your dealership is full of shit. Every 5th gen 4Runner uses the same brakes.

27. Oct 24, 2023 at 12:53 PM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    ^^^ he's right, All 4runner share the same brakes.

LeNuit36[QUOTED] and Thatbassguy like this.
  28. Oct 24, 2023 at 12:59 PM
    josephp732

josephp732 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nope the 17" TRD wheels fit just fine on my Limited.

LeNuit36[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Oct 24, 2023 at 1:44 PM
    DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2024 T4R ORP w/KDSS Underground
    No sunroof, that’s a tough one, usually bundled with the premium package. How about this, TRD Off-Road (not premium) with KDSS, no sunroof, Lunar Rock, no multi-terrain monitor, that should get you close to the magical $50K number. Toyota sells the black out covers and TRD Pro Matt black wheels, go to Bam Wholesale for prices. This way you get the 4Runner in the upper trim with KDSS and can upgrade to the TRD wheels/tires as you save money. Sell you stock wheels/tires and roll that money into the exterior upgrades.

30. Oct 25, 2023 at 6:55 AM
    kolter45

kolter45 Inferno Pro & 4.0 Tacoma

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Inferno Pro & BRM Sport
    Welcome! :cheers:

I highly recommend you buy during Toyotathon this holiday season - starts in November? (If you buy new.) 2023 SR5 non premium base model means no blindspot, no sunrooof, no diff locker & no heated seats. Do not pay for a Black Out Package! Way cheaper and fun to do on your own. Do you wanted heated seats? If you want Blind Spot and No sunroof, you may have to buy used

Products Discussed in

To Top