1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wescott Designs rack

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 2021venture, Nov 18, 2023.

1. Nov 18, 2023 at 4:05 AM
    2021venture

2021venture [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Elka 2.5, Apache Offroad UCA, durobumps, RCI full skids, RSG sliders, 10 lb Powertank, Maxtrax, Hi lift jack, Westscott Designs modular roof rack and ladder, ARB rear diff breather relocate, ECGS bushing upgrade, c4 low profile bumper, Baja designs S8 lightbar, warn evo winch, factor 55 ultrahook, 80% off-road rear bumper, 4.56 regear
    Anyone running the Wescott Design rack and can provide feedback? The floor inserts look interesting.

2. Nov 18, 2023 at 6:25 AM
    RLTW

RLTW New Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '22 AG ORP
    One of the best made roof racks on the market. This is the low profile w/o inserts. Jeff @ WD has amazing customer service too and stand behind his products 100%

20230603_160019.jpg

wax poetic likes this.
  3. Nov 18, 2023 at 9:18 AM
    wax poetic

wax poetic Raking like a mofo

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    OEM+ Trail Edition rims w/ Toyo AT3 in stock size / OEM Black Lug nuts OEM Heritage Grill OEM Black Valences (f + r) Westcott Sliders/Modular Roof Rack Roam 95L case DIY sleeping platform
    Amazing company and products. Sherpa was the only other one I was considering and I actually used their rubber mounts on my Westcott rack.

This is thier full that you'd need if you wanted to use the full floor panels. I didn't as mine will eventually be split between RTT and a box and I didn't see the need for the floor. Of note ... the full modular roof rack allows you to mount some of the cross bars lower and some higher creating a micro basket type set up which is kind of cool.

Also take a look at this thread I made while walking through my decisions. https://www.4runners.com/threads/ro...-sherpa-rubber-mounts-on-westcott-rack.32622/

IMG_0870.HEIC.jpg

BantamEddy, MooreKen and ChessGuy like this.
  4. Nov 18, 2023 at 4:45 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I run the wescott roof rack as well but only with the bars and not the inserts. The product has held nicely for at least 2 yrs now.

20220417_134920.jpg

BantamEddy and RLTW like this.
  5. Nov 20, 2023 at 2:38 AM
    2021venture

2021venture [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Elka 2.5, Apache Offroad UCA, durobumps, RCI full skids, RSG sliders, 10 lb Powertank, Maxtrax, Hi lift jack, Westscott Designs modular roof rack and ladder, ARB rear diff breather relocate, ECGS bushing upgrade, c4 low profile bumper, Baja designs S8 lightbar, warn evo winch, factor 55 ultrahook, 80% off-road rear bumper, 4.56 regear
    What kind of experience do you guys have loading gear up there? I don't see a weight rating mentioned by Wescott. Interested how luggage or other stuff in a dry bag would strap down. I think the modular with floor being mini basket would be best for my use case.

Cargo net and straps is how I will secure down to side rail holes. They advertise as quietest and some mpg increase with low profile.

Looks like both Sherpa and Prinsu are solid options in the aluminum low profile style. The floor inserts seem to be only available with Wescott.

One last question. Anyone running with a sunroof? I saw you can choose to not install front cross brace and insert in front if want to keep sunroof open. Undecided if I want whole roof floors or keep sunroof clear. I think would still use sunroof for fresh air even if rack over it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Com1TkzLmy6/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  6. Nov 20, 2023 at 7:01 AM
    wax poetic

wax poetic Raking like a mofo

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    OEM+ Trail Edition rims w/ Toyo AT3 in stock size / OEM Black Lug nuts OEM Heritage Grill OEM Black Valences (f + r) Westcott Sliders/Modular Roof Rack Roam 95L case DIY sleeping platform
    @2021venture

While I love my Westcott, this may be a good way for you to go if you're not going to use the front 1/3 anyway.

https://sherpaec.com/products/needle

https://www.4runnerlifestyle.com/collections/5th-gen-4runner/category_racks

As for load limits, I don't believe they are listed but given what you've mentioned I can't imagine you'd have any issues. People run way more on their roofs and I've never heard of anyone having a problem. I currently have the Roam box in that image above that I'll be using when we travel for the holidays or camping and will eventually have an iKamper 3.0 mini up there as well. That was the whole reason I bought the rack.

I found the following numbers for the Sherpa racks and would expect the numbers to be the same or very similar for the Westcott as the Crestone ...

The Crestone
    300 lbs. Dynamic
    700 lbs. Static

The Needle
    200 lbs. Dynamic
    500 lbs. Static

Now can the roof handle that? We will never know that part as that is a number we'd need from Toyota that I doubt they'd ever give for liability reasons. But given what I see people carrying online all of the time on their rigs, I can't imagine you or I would have anything to worry about.

BantamEddy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top