1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Video cable routing to backup cam

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Iamsam, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Jul 20, 2024 at 3:36 PM
    Iamsam

Iamsam [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner SR5
    I have a wired backup camera that I plan to install in my 2007 4Runner. Initially I thought it would be cool to modify the drop-down sunglasses holder in the overhead console (almost perfect size) to mount the display. I assume I could get 12V & ground there via the courtesy light wiring, but I couldn't see how I would run the video cable to the rear unless I could somehow snake it under the headliner, which didn't seem promising. So I now plan to mount the display on top of the dash. I can use cable clips and/or small conduit to run the cable over the passenger door and RH back door molding to the hatch (car gets rough use, no need to try to hide the wiring under the molding for cosmetic purposes), but that's where my vision becomes a bit foggy. The camera itself is designed to attach to the rear license plate bracket. Should I plan on following the license plate light wiring back through the hatch door into the cabin? I would think owner-installed backup cameras would be fairly common in 4runners, is there a consensus best practice for this? Thanks! Oh, and before someone asks, I had done some research a while back on wireless cameras and did not like some of the claims of latency and signal interference that I saw in reviews. I installed a wired backup cam into my F250 crew cab about three years ago that works great, so I just ordered one of the same brand for this vehicle.

2. Jul 20, 2024 at 9:57 PM
    LOSTR4

LOSTR4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 T4R Limited V8 Dorado Gold Pearl
    Just a couple
    Man, it's tough getting the wiring throught the rubber grommet connecting the hatch door to the body. I did this with great trial...do yourself a favor...get a Bluetooth version and be so much happier!

Bob and RonT4R like this.
  3. Jul 21, 2024 at 6:50 AM
    Iamsam

Iamsam [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner SR5
    I want to avoid wireless cams for reasons given in my first post, plus I already have the new cam. I just took another look, and I think I may be able to avoid wiring through the hatch entirely. At the passenger side rear of the cabin, there is a small hatch to access the tail light wiring. It looks like the cavity extends down well below the lights. If I can find a way to get my cable down there and to the outside, I should be able to run it to center under the hatch, just above the hitch. There is also obviously 12V power in that vicinity, because there is a cigarette lighter receptacle nearby. I do not want to drill any holes in sheet metal because of rusting concerns, but I have no such compunction about the plastic bumpers. Before I go removing the tail light cluster and possibly part of the bumper assembly to get a better look, does anyone have any comment about this idea? Thanks!

LOSTR4 and RonT4R like this.
  4. Jul 21, 2024 at 8:47 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    I ran my video wires down the floor board through the back and up behind the driver’s tail light. I tapped into the reverse light there to trigger the camera.

5. Jul 21, 2024 at 8:49 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    No joke about that grommet, I ended up cutting mine just enough to get the connector through.

LOSTR4[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 21, 2024 at 12:49 PM
    Two4Runner

Two4Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Where did you tap the reverse light trigger at reverse lights? The bulb connector is wireless at that point

7. Jul 21, 2024 at 1:00 PM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    On the wire harness behind the driver’s tail light. There is a YouTube video that was very helpful.

8. Jul 21, 2024 at 6:43 PM
    Two4Runner

Two4Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
  9. Jul 22, 2024 at 10:50 AM
    Iamsam

Iamsam [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner SR5
    Sounds like a good plan. I may be dense (my wife certainly thinks so :) but I am still a bit fuzzy on on the wire path from under the floor board to the tail light enclosure. Does the space behind the tail light connection access panel allow running the wire to the camera on the exterior without any drilling? Or does "under the floor board" mean underneath the chassis on the outside? Thanks.

LOSTR4 likes this.
  10. Jul 22, 2024 at 11:36 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    I just upgraded my backup cam on the 5th gen. I also ran larger speaker wire. All through that grommet. That grommet is no joke.

I was unable to get the camera wire through the grommet after already upgrading the speaker wire....that is until I bought some wire pulling lube.

Do yourself a favor right now and just buy some of that. With just a little of that stuff pulling the camera cable was EASY. That way you don't have to cut the grommet or anything. It was also super easy to clean off the wires with just a rag. No residue. Almost like they designed this stuff to make your life easier. Wish I owned some sooner.

LOSTR4 likes this.
  11. Jul 22, 2024 at 12:40 PM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    Under the carpet, there is a wire trough running down both sides of your 4Runner under the door floor seal. I just laid it next to the existing wire until it went behind the rear seat but it will tuck in under the plastic where the carpet goes under.

LOSTR4 likes this.
  12. Jul 23, 2024 at 11:17 AM
    Iamsam

Iamsam [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner SR5
    OK. Thanks!

LOSTR4 likes this.

Products Discussed in