1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration when braking especially downhill.

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Brainsapped, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Feb 28, 2024 at 5:59 PM
    Brainsapped

Brainsapped [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner 5s
    4th gen 4Runner here, 240 k miles.
    Had new front brake pads, rotors and calipers installed about a year ago. They also replaced the struts.
    A few months ago I started getting some pulsation when breaking from speeds of around 40 mph and higher, so I brought it back to the shop and they replaced the pads and rotors and just charged me the difference in cost ($70) since they were putting “higher quality ones”. A few days later, I started noticing some pulsing again, though not quite as much as before. I brought it back to the shop. They wanted to replace the rear rotors and pads. Instead, the tire shop I went to the day before for some new tires insisted it was better to keep the original rear rotors and just turn them because one side pad was worn 40% more. So I had that done. I’m still feeling a slight vibration, and occasionally I feel the slower pulse indicative of a warped rotor. One time the other day while almost stopped, it was pulling to the left when braking. Yeah, I’m not on any crazy steep hills, and I downshift to help so I know it’s not from bad braking. I don’t know what to to do now. Any ideas of what should be inspected or tests done?

2. Feb 28, 2024 at 6:34 PM
    Photon_Chaser

Photon_Chaser 44232 and counting…

Member:
    Central Coast
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Pro
    The unbalanced braking along with the 40% wear difference (which is a huge amount) points towards possible air entrainment in the line(s). How old is the brake fluid? Did the shop bled the lines when they changed out the brake components? Another possibility if it's not old fluid (moisture absorption), air entrainment or a leak somewhere is to check the anti-lock system (based upon you stating a 'pulsation'). A couple of starting points...

3. Feb 29, 2024 at 9:16 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Warped rotors... That would be my first check if I felt what you're describing.

Unfortunately some rotors will warp pretty soon if they heat up too fast. I've had this happen on new rotors on a different vehicle. (Powerstop rotors on a sports car) They warped after a few months. Upgraded to DBA rotors afterward. Never warped a rotor again no matter how much I abused them.

If you have a dial gage its an easy thing to check for.

Vibrations can be caused by a ton of different things. But if you're only experiencing it under braking at high speeds and you feel pulsation I'd guess the rotors are warped.

4. Feb 29, 2024 at 9:34 AM
    Brainsapped

Brainsapped [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner 5s
    thank you. Is it possible to check the rotors for warping with the dial gauge without removing the brakes?

5. Feb 29, 2024 at 9:39 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
  6. Feb 29, 2024 at 9:51 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    There pins that allow the pads to move within the caliper. If these are warn out or corroded it can cause issues as well.
    As someone else mentioned it might be worth bleeding your brakes as well to rule that out. It's an easy enough thing to do.

First ensure all the pads are in fact engaging against the rotor when you apply the brakes.
    If they all contact and seem to function properly then check your rotors and be sure that's not the problem.
    upload_2024-2-29_11-49-0.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbueXKwugNs

7. Feb 29, 2024 at 10:05 AM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    After re reading your post it sounds like maybe one of your brake pads isn't engaging the against the rotor.

This is what I would do.
    Jack up the car, pull the wheels off and have someone sit in the car. Walk around the vehicle and have them hit the brakes while you spin each rotor individually. This will allow you to see if the pads (both sides) are engaging against the rotor.

Bleed the brakes and do this test again.

If the pads (both sides) don't engage against the rotor pull the pins and clean them up with a wire wheel or sand paper. Now you can do the same test to see if the pads contact the rotor when you apply the brakes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    Photon_Chaser likes this.
To Top