1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibrating between 30-40 MPH

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Concepts12, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Feb 7, 2024 at 8:55 AM
    Concepts12

Concepts12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Toy of Love
    No idea
    Hey gang

my 06 4runner with V6 4x4 automatic vibrates between 30-and 40MPH. Lower vibration then when I hitting rumble strips but the same sensation, Whole vehicle shakes. It seems to be getting worse the more I drive it’s. I got new tire a few months before this problem became noticeably. When I manually shift up through the gear, I don’t have a problem.

any advice welcome. Would like to get this fixed before I get stranded

2. Feb 7, 2024 at 9:33 AM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    I’m not sure what you mean by shaking. Is it a wheel issue? Engine vibration? Driveshaft? Suspension? During braking? I’ve had the tire shake and brake shake but you can tell where it’s coming from. Any additional information you can provide may help the folks on here assist you better with this problem.

3. Feb 7, 2024 at 9:44 AM
    Concepts12

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Toy of Love
    No idea
    Hey thank you for the response

I was trying to use a word besides Vibrate again. I can’t pin point or localize where the vibration is coming from. it’s definitely coming from underneath the rear half of the vehicle.

the more I look into this, it seems that it would be a U-joint, drive shaft or rear differential. I can’t imagine it being all four of my wheel being unbalanced.

4. Feb 7, 2024 at 9:51 AM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    Seems rather suspect that the vibrations started after you got new tires. It's very possible the wheel weights might have come off of a wheel or couple of wheels and is causing the issue or the installer did a piss-poor balance on them. I'd go back and have all 4 wheels rebalanced as a first step.

U-joint failing, you would feel the vibration through your seat/ass.

5. Feb 7, 2024 at 11:45 AM
    Concepts12

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Toy of Love
    No idea

Yes that’s what I was thinking, at first but the problem don’t occur when I manually shift the vehicle through the gears. That would eliminate the transmission and tires from the equation, I would think,

6. Feb 7, 2024 at 5:29 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner V6 SR5
    Check this out. Sounds to me like it could be torque converter related. That lubeguard is good stuff btw. I’ve added that to my 06 4Runner because back when it was my sisters, she complained about a shutter at certain speeds. I dont recall what speeds it was happening at, but I haven’t had any issues since I started driving it and I remember her telling that fixed it.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/vibration-at-30-40-mph.782762/

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    2018 Limited likes this.
  7. Apr 22, 2024 at 6:28 AM
    cbrake

cbrake New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver 4Runner
    Did you ever figure anything out with this?

I recently switched from original tires to Cooper Discovery AT3 4S tires at 60,000 miles, and now there is a noticeable shutter on some smaller roads when driving in the 40mph range -- almost seems like some type of resonance is happening with suspension/tires/road surface/speed. On larger highways where I accelerate to 55, I don't notice it. Before the new tires, I noticed it maybe once or twice in the 5 mo we've had the vehicle.

8. Apr 22, 2024 at 7:52 AM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Most likely tires out of balance. I’m very in tune with my vehicles and nearly every tire change I get no matter where I get them installed my vehicle exhibits this behavior and always have to go back for at least 1 rebalancing. Often they re balance and the wobble shifts to a different speed range. Now I warn the installers up front before hand that I want my tires balanced to perfection all 4 and close enough is not good enough and I’ll keep coming back 100 times until they are. I always drop the installer a $20 bill when they get it right

9. May 1, 2024 at 1:59 PM
    cbrake

cbrake New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver 4Runner
    I think you are right -- took vehicle in, they checked balance and said two tires were a little out of balance -- seems better. The guy at the desk seemed surprised and mentioned they might have a calibration problem. Also said they don't have many balance problems with Cooper tires. Hopefully this fixes it ...

2018 Limited[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top