1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Pro Roof Rack Removal and Gobi Install

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by ToddD, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Feb 15, 2022 at 1:50 PM
    ToddD

ToddD [OP] New Member

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    2021 PRO LR
    Got word that my Gobi rack is shipping soon so I will be needing to remove my TRD roof rack. Any tips/tricks on getting it off? Is a torch an absolute to heat the loctite to remove the torx screws? Any other tips to make removal go smoother?

While we are on the subject, any tips for the Gobi install? Did you do anything additional from what the Gobi instructions show like add silicone or rtv sealant?

Lastly, a TRD PRO rack will be for sale after the install in ATL area if anyone local interested (provided I don't f*%k it up trying to remove it)

Thanks in advance

2. Feb 15, 2022 at 1:53 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Mine was a bitch to get off. Don’t know why they used red loctite. If you can use heat in a manner it doesn’t mess with the bolt head and you end up stripping it, try it.

I lost a retainer clip and had to pull some liner to get it.

3. Feb 15, 2022 at 2:07 PM
    j4unner

j4unner shootz brah..

Member:
    First Name:
    j4runner
    nCal
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5P
    I did the upper bar delete on the TRD Pro rack.. yes heating will help.. but remember when loosing the bolts work back and forth from the two.. I did 6-8 loosening turns then switched to the other bolt.. that way you don't lose those plastic retainer underneath.. take your time you will be good..

here is a video to reference get a guideline & do it the way that works best for you..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZr7SBB4TqM

4. Feb 15, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I did not use heat to remove the stock bolts (I had the standard rack, not the Pro rack).

No need for silicone with the Gobi Rack bolts, IMO. I've seen a ton of rain since putting it on and haven't had any issues. I followed Gobi's recommended installation procedure.

DIRTRCR13 and A&P like this.
  5. Feb 15, 2022 at 8:01 PM
    T4Rrunning

T4Rrunning New Member

Member:
    California
    Use a copper spacer to put over the bolts when using a torch to prevent you melting the rack plastic or getting to the roof paint.

round_steel_spacer_large.jpg

K-Paul likes this.
  6. Feb 15, 2022 at 8:36 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    I didn’t heat any of the bolts. I just used torx socket and ratchet (don’t use any power tools). When removing each bolt, work each bolt a little at a time while leaving both bolts in place.

If one bolt is removed completely, the other bolt may slip of out of the nut which is secured under the head liner.

bendoftheroad, nimby and A&P like this.
  7. Feb 16, 2022 at 5:16 AM
    ToddD

ToddD [OP] New Member

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    2021 PRO LR
    Do you know the size of the spacer you used or have a link to it? I found some online but they are only 4 mil thick so that is not going to be enough. I have some decent hardware stores near but not sure if they would stock something like this or not.

After watching the video that j4unner posted there was another video after that where the guy didnt use heat and got all the bolts out until the last one and it stripped the head. He had to drill it out to remove the rack and try with vice grips and it still didn't budge. At this point he had to drop the headliner and put a new retainer clip in. It would be my luck that this happens to me so I think I will give them a little heat first just to be on the safe side.

Thanks all for the tips/tricks

8. Feb 16, 2022 at 8:01 AM
    T4Rrunning

T4Rrunning New Member

Member:
    California
    I measured the width of the bolt opening and its about 1" just look at the spacers at the hardware store and use a tape measure. Or just grab a couple of sizes that look like they fit they are only about $1 or $2 each

9. Mar 4, 2022 at 11:59 AM
    ToddD

ToddD [OP] New Member

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    2021 PRO LR
    Well, got the pro rack off this morning. Couldn’t ever locate a good metal spacer so decided to use a socket. I couldn’t get the bolts hot enough with this method so just heated them directly with the torch. 6 of the 8 came out no problem but 2 were very stubborn. I just kept applying heat and working them slowly and they finally broke free. Of course having to keep adding heat burned the rack a little but it’s just cosmetic. Have the Gobi brackets installed and just waiting on the help to arrive to help me lift this heavy ass thing.

achtung6, Shilo5000 and j4unner like this.
  10. Jul 2, 2022 at 7:28 AM
    achtung6

achtung6 New Member

Member:
    Thanks for sharing this experience. I'm removing the rack off the TRD Pro to use the conversion kit that eliminates the top bar. My garage clearance won't allow the top bar to be there.

11. Jul 2, 2022 at 7:33 AM
    achtung6

achtung6 New Member

Member:
    The roof rack on your truck was fitted at the factory in Japan and presumably, they do not use red lock tite on the bolts. The US port facility installers use red lock tite when fitting the TRD Pro roof rack and make this job much harder than necessary.

12. Jul 5, 2022 at 7:36 AM
    Brandonium

Brandonium New Member

Member:
    Same here, so far no rain penetration into the cab. I was a bit scared to be honest seeing that many people are using silicon when installing.

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top