1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Oil Filter Tested

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Trekker, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Feb 11, 2024 at 1:24 PM
    Trekker

Trekker [OP] Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd

This guy uses the same standardized oil and dust in his tests that the companies would use to test their products or equipment. The Toyota filter in the test is the 90915-YZZD1, which goes to 3rz, 5VZ, and probably 1GR that use spin on filters.

I must say it was a disappointing performance by Toyota. When I saw that it had way better flow than the other filters, I knew it wasn't going to do a good job filtering. It even did worse than the Fram orange can of death.

While in the video the high capacity of the Toyota filter is shown as a good thing, it's not. The high capacity means the Toyota filter wasn't removing the fine particles, so more dust needed to be added to make it clog. If it was better at removing stuff, it would clog sooner.

Toyota already knows this and decided it was good enough. I'd still buy it over a budget filter like a Fram orange, at least you know the quality will be good. But there are better filters for not much more money that do way better.

Products Discussed in

To Top