1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota body-on-frame design updates for rust?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by rmiked, Jul 23, 2023.

1. Jul 23, 2023 at 2:41 PM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP, Lunar Rock , Moonroof, rear sliding cargo deck, cargo mat
    Has Toyota changed anything related to the body-on-frame design to minimize rust problems that led to them replacing frames on earlier models? I know the Tacomas Gen 1 and Gen 2 had issues. I had a Gen 3 Tacoma and it seemed like the frame was much less resistant to rust than my Gen 1 1999 model. I’m
    assuming 4 Runners had same issue? Have they changed the steel alloy composition? Or their painting procedures ? Or is the design virtually unchanged? I’m
    Thinking of just using Fluid Film or Woolwax inside the frames where I can’t see and just inspecting annually and treating areas that might show rust. As long as I can see it I don’t think any problems can develop. Sand away rust, prime and paint.

2. Jul 23, 2023 at 11:51 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Yes, 4Runner frames have the same rust issues.

Depends on where you live. Rust belt, treat it on a regular basis.

Live in the desert, not a big concern.

3. Jul 24, 2023 at 1:30 AM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    I live in South Carolina. I don’t think it’s a huge problem here but they do salt the roads when ice is expected. I’ll inspect every year, usually when doing oil change. Thinking of treating inside frame rails and under spare tire. Then just spot treating any observed rust spots that are visible.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Jul 24, 2023 at 11:12 AM
    Zakgold

Zakgold New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner Off Road Premium
    Teton Workshop Red Shift knobs, Raptor lights, Baja Fog lights , Red Shackles, rear molle panels, black out lettering, blackout exhaust, fold down seat protective panels (rear seats), LED lights, Fog light brackets with Tri-Color lighting, Black front lower valance, TRD black rims, running boards, roof rack cross bars.
    Two things I did ASAP after I acquired my new 2023 4Runner Off Road Premium to PROTECT IT: I had it ceramic coated and I also applied about 5 cans of "Blaster Surface Shield" (sold on Amazon and at Home Depot) to the under carriage and frame (anything underneath the 4Runner with metal).

See it here on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blaster+...hydadcr=654_1015024268&ref=pd_sl_8aivyxpexb_e

This is a lanolin based product and the company claims it will protect for up to 2 years. I plan to "touch it up" every year. I will let you know in a year how it is working

Once applied, I would NOT power wash your under carriage. I like that it is lanolin based and it will NOT harm plastic, rubber, glass or wiring.

I researched this extensively, and this product seems to win out over the likes of Fluid Film and others.

I like to take my vehicle to the beach (around the Daytona Beach, FL area). I am NOT driving through ocean beach water and such, I just want to make sure the undercarriage is protected better than what I get from the factory.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    Thatbassguy likes this.
  5. Jul 24, 2023 at 11:13 AM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    I wouldn't worry about it in SC

Noodles and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Jul 24, 2023 at 4:09 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    4Runners are not nearly as bad as the Tacomas were. But, it's still worth protecting if you want to keep it a long time. Woolwax and Fluid Film are both pretty popular.

NV4Runner likes this.
  7. Jul 24, 2023 at 4:32 PM
    DirtyHairy

DirtyHairy Card-holding Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 FJ Cruiser; 1978 FJ40; 2023 ORP MGM with KDSS
    I wonder if Tacomas or FJ Cruisers are more problematic. Lots of people complain about the frame rot on FJs.

8. Jul 24, 2023 at 5:03 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    People complain about the frames on the 4Runners also. But, I haven't heard of mass buybacks or frame replacements on anything except for the tacos. :notsure:

NV4Runner likes this.
  9. Jul 24, 2023 at 5:09 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Curious to see how the 5th gen holds up to long term rust belt exposure, compared to the 4th gen. Lots of those 20 something 4Runners are deteriorating up north with out diligent care and prevention.

10. Jul 24, 2023 at 5:21 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    They've been around for 14 years. I'm sure we'd know by now if they were problematic.

FWIW, my '03 4th gen frame was still solid in '17 with 257K miles of neglect in Wisconsin. It had surface rust, but wasn't deteriorating. :notsure:

11. Jul 24, 2023 at 6:28 PM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    I have had fluid film done on my last few. My new 4runner probably getting done with the wool wax.

12. Jul 25, 2023 at 5:39 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    I saw an 07 FJ for sale several years ago. 35k miles and beautiful, until I crawled under it. Absolutely frightening really. Fuel tank straps and fasteners were shot, rear axle tube had flaking patches, the alignment cams, ball joints, front core support, etc...all completely gone. Basically an unsafe vehicle. Damn shame, especially at 35k miles. Must have been parked in the street for several winters, or was driven on the beach and salt water.
    Hoping the 5th gens hold up better.

LadeDruck and Thatbassguy like this.
  13. Jul 25, 2023 at 8:02 AM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    I'm going in next week to get the full Krown treatment done. I should still be at less than 2k on the new Runner. I'll follow up every year with it too.

GtownRunner likes this.
  14. Jul 25, 2023 at 9:41 AM
    Zakgold

Zakgold New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner Off Road Premium
    Teton Workshop Red Shift knobs, Raptor lights, Baja Fog lights , Red Shackles, rear molle panels, black out lettering, blackout exhaust, fold down seat protective panels (rear seats), LED lights, Fog light brackets with Tri-Color lighting, Black front lower valance, TRD black rims, running boards, roof rack cross bars.
    IMG_2758.jpg

Seriously, check this out. They are not new, but they have some wonderful reviews and comparisons on YouTube. I think they meet and EXCEED Fluid Film

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    djwantke and McSpazatron like this.
  15. Jul 25, 2023 at 2:55 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    4th and 5th gen are worse... Higher strength steel = more susceptible to rust. More welds = more susceptible to rust. More eco-friendly coatings = more susceptible to rust. Spray Cosmoline / Fluid Film / Woolwax / Krown / Rust Check yearly... any one of those will be way ahead of not using any.

16. Jul 25, 2023 at 8:53 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    How do you figure?

Can you show any example of Toyota buying back or replacing a frame on a 4th or fifth gen 4Runner?

Slopemaster likes this.
  17. Jul 26, 2023 at 4:29 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    ^No campaigns like on the Tacoma. When the 4Runner frames rust out, the owners have no recourse.

18. Jul 26, 2023 at 5:31 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Maybe that's because they are not as bad as the Tacoma frames.;)

19. Jul 26, 2023 at 5:38 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    ^Or Toyota didn't care to spend the money, not seeing a business case because the 4th gen and early 5th gen sold poorly. You know, same reason the 4Runner is going on 14 years without a redesign and 21 years on the same mechanical platform...

Trail Runnah likes this.
  20. Jul 26, 2023 at 6:16 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I'm sure Toyota didn't really care to spend the money on the Tacos, either. I don't think they really had a choice. Was there a class action suit about the 4runner frames that I missed?

Also, it's interesting that they would have included the Sequoia in that lawsuit, since it has consistently sold less than the 4Runner.

I still haven't seen anything to suggest that the 4Runner frames have been problematic like the Tacoma other than some comments on these types of threads. What I have seen, firsthand, was a 2003 4Runner that I neglected for years and still had a solid frame after 14 years and 257K miles.

A few people claiming they're as bad, or worse than the Tacoma frames doesn't make it so. Show me a whole thread of 4Runners where the frames rusted through prematurely, and maybe I'll believe it.

None of this is meant to say that they can't rust, or don't rust. But, saying they are worse than the Tacos is incorrect.

21. Jul 26, 2023 at 6:21 AM
    RusPro17

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Simple solution you have your frame sprayed every 2 years for 250.00. Especially if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

22. Jul 26, 2023 at 6:48 AM
    RusPro17

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    The guy that did mine a few years ago his 4runner still looks good underneath.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  23. Jul 26, 2023 at 8:00 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    The first year, I had my runner done twice. 1st time was with surface shield when I got it in the spring. 2nd time was fluid filmed the fall same year.

This year I’ll have it done in the fall, as this spring a used a can of Surface and sprayed where I thought it needed it. Once a year now and I’ll feel good about my efforts.

I had one of those Tacomas that the frame was rusted out, scary to think I had my kids in that and didn’t know. Now I do something as a just in case.

Zakgold likes this.
  24. Jul 26, 2023 at 8:02 AM
    Yoda_One

Yoda_One New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '16 4Runner Limited & '14 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I got mine treated when I bought it from Michigan . It lived there for nearly 7yrs. I rescued it out of there.

25. Jul 26, 2023 at 10:56 AM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    I go in next week to have the Krown professionally installed. I live in Northern Mi and know well from my Canadian friends how well it works. (honestly, all of the major players will work well if proper applied and redone as needed). It's only $139 a year and that price is locked in for life as long as you do it every year. I've already got the front skid plate off and will drop the spare before going in.

I'm gone every other four months on a Navy ship so I only put maybe 8-10k miles on per year (have another vehicle as well) and it's always garage kept. Up here where salt is used in the winter this stuff is critical if you want to keep the frame in good shape.

DesertSurfer, Zakgold and Thatbassguy like this.
  26. Jul 27, 2023 at 9:11 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    A few threads to scare @rmiked (OP) :laughing:
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/2005-to-2011-4runner-rust-recall.23143/
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/lf-4th-gen-4runner-frame-swap-and-price.31976/
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/frame-major-rust-questions.22175/

Existence or absence of a class-action suit is neither here nor there, because it was a cash grab by the lawyers. If you read the Tacoma settlement docs, the plaintiff lawyers pocketed $10 million, while the vehicle owners got an expansion (by 2 model years) of the pre-existing Toyota service campaign that Toyota was already doing at the time the suit was filed.

My 2010's frame hasn't developed any holes. (Before buying, I put a moving blanket over the ice in the dealer's parking lot this January and looked it over.) However, the rear fuel tank strap was broken, with the tank resting on the skid plate.

27. Jul 27, 2023 at 9:39 AM
    rmiked

rmiked [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    Seems like the Tacomas have more frame members that are “open sections” like C-channels. The 4 Runner looks to have mostly “closed sections” where the frame members are boxed. The boxed members have much better torsional rigidity but the open sections permit larger articulation since less stiff. But if salt water gets inside the frame it needs to drain out. There are drain holes on the bottom of the main frame members on the 4R. The Tacomas will get more surface area salt water contact since open. I’m thinking of using fluid film inside my ORP frame rails because you can’t see inside if you inspect. I figure if you can inspect each year you should not get surprised. I don’t live in rust belt (SC) but want to avoid salt water after ice storms, inside frame.

28. Jul 27, 2023 at 9:48 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I am very lucky I had mine fluid filmed and will every year and just park it winter (no MI road salt) and try to not get caught in rain.

Hopefully I have some nice pics in 20 years of a preserved 4R.

Zakgold likes this.
  29. Jul 27, 2023 at 10:12 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

So, that makes three 4runners with rusted out frames total? Two of which were 15 years old or more with unknown history. And, it looks like the one attempt at a lawsuit was a failure.

You're going to have to do much better than this to convince me that the 4Runner frames were anywhere near as bad as the Tacoma frames.

Edit: meanwhile, search " frame replacement" on Tacoma world and you get 249 threads.

RusPro17 likes this.
  30. Jul 27, 2023 at 10:27 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I wonder how the other mid size pickups and full size pickup frames last in comparison?

Do the big three have these issues with frames?

Thatbassguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top