1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing omm-pah-pah

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Theol Mann, Sep 6, 2024.

1. Sep 6, 2024 at 7:52 PM
    Theol Mann

Theol Mann [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daryl
    Vehicle:
    Don't got one yet
    N/A
    Shopping for a 2016-18 4R with a V6 engine. My 1st question is, will these 4R's have enough omm-pah-pah to pull a 2200# popup tent into the Eastern Sierras? Up to about the 8,000' mark? I'm also thinking about going up the grade from Bishop to Tom's Place, a climb of about 3,000' in 24 miles, hopefully going faster than 30mph. A lot more questions to follow soon as I figger out what to ask. :oldglory: Thanks!

NeverTooLate71 likes this.
  2. Sep 7, 2024 at 5:30 AM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '08 4RUNNER
    I say yes, because I towed our 5x8 enclosed trailer from Alabama to Northern California and back with my 2008 tacoma.
    Our route going, we when through Texas to New Mexico up to flagstaff. Then, to Las Vegas across through Tehachapi and north to Chico.
    Our return path was back down through central California to I40 and back across the country.
    When we made this trip my tacoma had around 370,000 miles on her. Our trailer is a camping trailer. Has a Kichen, fridge, potty, camping gear, 27 gallon water tank and RTT. We had it loaded with our stuff and Christmas gifts for the family. It weighed in around 2500lbs.
    From Roswell NM to Flagstaff AZ we had a head wind and a pretty steady climb. Flagstaff to Las Vegas has some high mountain passes. The 4.0 in the truck did good. The only real struggle was Roswell to Flagstaff. The head wind made the RTT feel like I was dragging a parachute, but could maintain 50mph.
    F5A6DDEE-B266-4619-8F19-496AA629BB5A.jpg

3. Sep 7, 2024 at 5:44 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I haven't towed at nearly that elevation, but I've towed over the 5,000# limit, twice. Power is sufficient, but not spectacular. I also tow a ~1500# pop-up pretty regularly, and it's not bad at all.

You'll want to tow in S4, and possibly drop to S3 on steep grades. You can also just give it gas and let it downshift on its own, but I prefer to do it myself.

Keep your speed around 65 mph or less, and enjoy the scenery. You and your 4Runner will be much happier if you take your time.

I'll add this: If you're looking for a nice all around vehicle that can tow, you'll be fine. But, if you're looking for a vehicle just for the purpose of towing, there are better options.

icebear and POOLGUY like this.
  4. Sep 7, 2024 at 6:57 AM
    Yamahamer

Yamahamer New Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Off Road
    ^This. The longer the wheelbase of the towing vehicle the more stable the towing platform. So if you want a really stable towing vehicle, a crew cab long bed pickup would be best. Also, any vehicle made for a cushy, soft, comfortable ride will not work as well for towing as the trailer will tend to steer the vehicle (tail wagging the dog) as the trailer gets buffeted by wind gusts and passing 18 wheelers.

The general rule is that a normally aspirated gas engine loses 3% of its horsepower for every 1000 feet above sea level. So your poor 4Runner, underpowered to begin with, will be gasping for air going up to Tom's Place. Especially if it is towing an extra 2000+ pounds. But that 4.0 is a stout engine and if you take your time and follow Thatbassguy's advice as to gears you'll be fine.

icebear and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Sep 7, 2024 at 8:02 AM
    catbrown357

catbrown357 New Member

Member:
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited 4WD
    Yes.

Products Discussed in

To Top