1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Too much ozone!!!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Tn Ridge Rover, Aug 8, 2023.

1. Aug 8, 2023 at 5:36 AM
    Tn Ridge Rover

Tn Ridge Rover [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nashville Tn
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner V6
    stock
    Had different problems with smells. Long story short, I over ozoned to the point of having a stank I can't stand! Will it ever go away ? Like in the winter, time, etc? Ideas other than driving it over a clift?

2. Aug 13, 2023 at 1:12 PM
    Tn Ridge Rover

Member:
    Nashville Tn
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner V6
    stock
    Disregard. Ozone didn't have anything to do with my problem but didn't fix anything. I started ripping out wet carpet matting in the front of the vehicle. That was a big help! More shampooing and I hope to have everything back to tolerable soon!

3. Oct 4, 2023 at 12:19 PM
    Rocko9999

Rocko9999 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited
    I have had mixed results with ozone and CL02 treatments. Careful of ozone though-it loves to destroy adhesives-had some minor headliner start to sag the day after ozoning.

Ripper238 and Tn Ridge Rover[OP] like this.
  4. Oct 7, 2023 at 7:06 PM
    Tn Ridge Rover

Member:
    Nashville Tn
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner V6
    stock
    I did not know that about ozone, new info for me. Does ozone have an effect on foam? Something still smells. Thinking it may be the foam in the seats. May look into refoaming the seats. Hope the freezing weather will keep the smell down. It has reduced some but still is awful.

5. Oct 9, 2023 at 10:46 AM
    leidalinck

leidalinck New Member

Member:
    That stinky smell can be quite bothersome, and I totally understand why you'd want to get rid of it. Opening windows to let fresh air circulate can definitely help, but I understand that it might take longer in the winter when there's less ventilation. Btw, just came across an article about building an ozone generator at home, and I would advise against it. They can be quite powerful, and if not used properly, they can actually cause more harm than good. I found a great article on https://www.damagecontrol-911.com/dangerous-homemade-ozone-generator/ that explains why it's best to leave it to the professionals. You might want to check it out for more information.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
    Tn Ridge Rover[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 9, 2023 at 11:35 AM
    Rocko9999

Rocko9999 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited
    The ozone smell it's self dissipates after a few days. It does not penetrate foam well. I would next try a CL02 treatment. You want a really strong amount-50G minimum. If that doesn't work it's either live with it or replace the carpet, seats, etc-not worth it really.

First thing is finding origin of the smell. Could be rodent, water intrusion, etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top