1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timing chain Stretch - too much? Tensioner - broken?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by StReKe, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Feb 12, 2024 at 5:59 PM
    StReKe

StReKe [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 4runner SR5 v6
    Hello,

I am currently doing a head gasket job on my 2004 4runner 1grfe with 205000 miles, and I just took off the timing cover and have some questions regarding whether or not I should suck it up and drop 1k on a new oem timing kit or just clean up my timing components and reuse them. I have had the vvti gear rattle so I would definitely open up the vvti gears any way and clean them up, or alternatively get new ones with the kit. After looking at the timing stuff, I have 2 questions:

1. at the beginning of the video attached, I am turning over the engine and you can see the tensioner coming out a bit, suggesting some stretch. There is also periodically some slack near the driver side tensioner, though I am thinking this might be due to the tensioner being oil actuated and not activated with the engine off. Is this an amount of slack I can live with/is normal, or is it suggesting the chain stretching?

2. At the end of the video, you can see the guide (edit - guide not tensioner) is loose. I don't know if this is normal or broken. Anyone have any idea?

Thank you so much!

Edit: video link

https://youtu.be/48x86CK9yWQ

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024

Products Discussed in

To Top